Sacramento Online Medical Specialties Masters Programs
Online Medical Specialties Masters programs offer a learning alternative for students looking into a graduate degree in disciplines ranging from nutritional science to physician assistant studies. Instead of attending courses on campus, web-based courses be scheduled to accommodate your timetable. This could be especially interesting to individuals who have earned a Bachelors degree and initial licensure and are ready to approach a next level of certification which is contingent on a Masters degree.
Types of Online Medical Specialties Masters Programs
Online Medical Specialties Masters programs are offered in a variety of science based fields where knowledge of physiology, patient care, clinical research and state licensure are generally required for independent professional practice. These are categorized on our site by:
- Online Alternative Medicine Masters Programs
- Online Dental Medicine Masters Programs
- Online Medicine and Premed Programs
- Online Masters in Optometry Programs
- Online Physician Assistant Masters Programs
- Online Respiratory Therapy Masters Programs
DID YOU KNOW? The most common degree type awarded to current students graduating in clinical nutrition in the Masters degree.[i]
Most graduate programs require candidates to have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited college and may stipulate other requirements in the form of prerequisite courses or work experience. Some programs may also be geared to individuals with a current license whether this is a PA license or a registered dietician license.
In terms of program length, this could vary depending on whether you have to fulfill an internship, case studies, practicum or write a thesis. Some online medical specialties Masters degree programs could take two to three years but it is best to check with individual
Online Medical Specialties Masters Programs may be accredited regionally by one of six nationally recognized agencies and programmatically by profession specific accrediting agencies. At the program level, accreditation means that the coursework and professional training meet industry accepted standards. The U.S. Department of Education authorizes specific organizations to accredit education or training programs.
Credentials, Licenses and Certifications
Accreditation could play a role in certification; professional organizations tend to offer certification exams to graduates of accredited education and training programs. Certification then could qualify someone for state offer local licensure[ii].
Clinical research is a branch of medical science that examines the safety and effectiveness of treatments, medications and medical products. Some masters of science programs are actually designed for working clinical research professionals or those in a related field.
Potential Features of Online Medical Specialties Masters Programs
The one thing to keep in mind is that universities have their own formats for their programs, and that there could be different components to a research oriented program than for a clinical practice oriented program. You may find several, all or none of these features but it helps to keep your eyes out for what could be in store if you choose distance learning:
- Some online programs could include periodically scheduled seminars on campus;
- You might have proctored exams which means finding a school-approved proctor;
- You may take courses in basic sciences, core medical concepts or professional development through an online course management system;
- Where a program requires a certain number of direct patient care hours, you might be able to complete the clinical component at a current place of employment; or you may have to complete the clinical component at your graduate school campus;
- You might find programming geared for licensed professionals who have an initial credential and experience and need to juggle their present career with further credentialing;
- Where clinical rotations under supervision are necessary, you might be able to arrange through your university to do this in your community;
What an Online Medical Specialties Masters Programs Might Offer You
Going back to school is a big step, and an investment of your time. Online Masters programs are not necessarily easier, but if you find a program that could take your credentials forward, and you can do it while you work or balance other factors, why not look into it? Here are a few areas where a graduate degree might be warranted:
- Physician assistants typically need a master’s degree from an accredited program[iii]
- Athletic directors or clinic practice administrators might need a masters degree to increase their advancement opportunities[iv]
- Dieticians and nutritionists seeking to earn the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential might need to earn a Masters degree[v]
- Health Educators may require a Masters degree[vi]
- Orthotists and Prosthetists need a Masters degree and certification[vii]
Take the Next Step
Integrating a graduate degree into a full schedule might be feasible through distance-learning. Review our sponsored program listings to find an online medical specialties masters degree program that aligns with your personal and professional goals. Search by category, then request information from each graduate school to find out how to apply.
sources:[i] datausa.io/profile/cip/513102/ |[ii] https://nccih.nih.gov/health/decisions/credentialing.htm [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physician-assistants.htm |[iv] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers.htm |[v] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dietitians-and-nutritionists.htm |[vi] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm |[vii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/orthotists-and-prosthetists.htm