Online Masters in Statistics Degrees and Graduate Programs
Learn about Online Masters in Statistics Degree Programs
You love math and science, are driven by data and analysis. You rise to the challenge and mastery of learning and performing complex calculations. You enjoy collecting, organizing, analyzing and interpreting information. You dream of creating a survey that will predict important outcomes. If you are presently nodding in agreement, then pursuing an online Masters in Statistics Degree might be a great academic fit for you.
In this increasingly digital age, statistics and information gathering can be used to influence major decisions in a variety of sectors. Think broad spectrum, such as politics, pharmaceuticals, advertising, medicine, marketing, finance, education and business.
Skill-sets: you could acquire by earning an online Statistics Masters Degree may be valuable as you pursue a career. You might learn to tell stories based on the data, and in doing so, become a voice for interpreting information and taking action. Some of the important qualities of a Market Research Analyst include[i]:
- Analytical skills that allow them to understand large amounts of data and information
- Communication skills that are required when gathering information, interpreting data, and then presenting their findings to clients
- Critical thinking skills to assess information and determine potential strategies for their clients
- Attention to detail as data is precise
Tip: Check through the different Masters programs on GradSchools.com to see if you are drawn to certain concentrations within the field. For instance, you can find Masters Degree programs that focus on data analytics, cyber systems, computational science, statistics, or mathematics.
KEY POINTS TO CONSIDER about a pursuing a statistics Masters degree:
- The study of statistics can be thought of as an offshoot of the mathematical
- field of probability. If you are looking into masters programs in statistics, you already have a strong foundation in mathematics.
- Studying statistics may involve some potential overlap studies in other social sciences, such as economics, accounting, sociology and finance.
- Pursuing your Masters degree may open different potential career opportunities for you that differ from those you could be qualified for with a Bachelors Degree[i]. For example, some market research analysts complete MBAs which may be helpful for those interested in pursuing potential leadership roles.
- With your master’s degree you might choose to pursue potential career opportunities in industries such as investment banking, economics or insurance.
Why study for your Masters in Statistics & Data Analysis Online?
One reason might be flexibility. This is a convenient format, which might help you balance work, study, and family. Think of having no commute time! You love data, so likely have a computer and Internet access. This means you might conveniently schedule study around your timetable. Also, the latest digital tools mean that you are not isolated from your fellow students and professors despite studying off-site. There are often group projects, opportunities to enter group forums, and chances to connect with classmates and professors via email. Online Statistics & Analytics Master Degree programs are often taught be the same faculty as on-site courses, and often, with the same coursework.
Master in Statistics & Data Analysis Curriculum
It is wise to keep in mind that each program and school may interpret the Degree differently, although there may be similarities in terms of subject matter. The curriculum may involve a combination of seminar courses on advances statistics topics as well as independent courses. Some of the topics that could be included in your curriculum are:
- Applied regression
- Cyber Systems and Security
- Variance analysis
- Analysis of time series
- Data Management and Data mining
- Predictive analytics
- Statistical Consulting
Potential Career Paths For Graduates With Masters In Statistics & Data Analytics Degrees
Some of the potential career possibilities for Graduates with a Masters Degree in Statistics & Data Analytics include such careers as:
- Statistician: use statistical methods to collect and analyze data and help solve real-world problems in business, engineering, the sciences, or other fields[ii].
- Financial Analyst: provide guidance to businesses and individuals making investments and assess the performance of stocks, bonds, and other types of investments[iii].
- Database Administrator (DBA): use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information and customer shipping records, and ensure that data are available to users and secure from unauthorized access[iv].
- Risk /Financial Manager: are responsible for the financial health of an organization, produce financial reports, direct investment activities, and develop strategies and plans for the long-term financial goals of their organization[v].
- Market Research Analysts: study market conditions to examine potential sales of a product or service. They also assist businesses to understand what products people want, who will buy them, and at what price[vi].
Ready to search for Online Masters in Statistics Degree Programs?
Are you excited to learn how new sources of data can be analyzed to enhance organizational effectiveness, customer service, investments and business strategies? Are you looking for a Master’s Program that might help enhance your ability to develop the strategic, project-management and communication skills that power many industries? If so, an online Masters in Statistics & Data Analytics could be a great fit to help you pursue your vocational and academic goals. Start looking into options on GradSchools.com soon!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/market-research-analysts.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/math/statisticians.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/market-research-analysts.htm
The online MS in Analytics program at American University prepares students to become experts in data analysis and apply data insights to help businesses make more informed decisions. The program can be completed in 12 months. No GMAT required to apply.
Syracuse University’s online M.S. in Business Analytics program helps professionals become data-savvy leaders. Students can earn their master’s in as few as 18 months. GMAT waivers are available.
George Mason University
Gain the deep statistical knowledge and technical savviness you need to advance to data scientist, engineer and analyst roles. You'll learn to deliver a process that transforms raw data and place it into a decision-making context.
The MBA- Data Analytics specialization focuses on two aspects of the data science field...
Master of Science in Analytics Mobile devices, social networking sites, transactional data, sensor systems, cloud computing—these are some of the innovations changing the face and pace of business while generating a va...
Colorado Technical University
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University
MSIT offers a unique integration of both information technology and management coursework designed for experienced professionals ready to advance their career.
Texas A&M University
The Department of Statistics at Texas A&M University, one of the premier statistics departments in the world, offers quality online degree and certificate programs. This online program is an integrated extension of the renowned on-campus program...
California State University, Long Beach
This program offers a unique opportunity for working adults who wish to advance their careers, pursue a teaching job, or move on to more advanced study and a PhD degree. The program was designed with the non-traditional student in mind. You will lear...
Rochester Institute of Technology
Statistics is the science of making decisions in the face of uncertainty. Statistical thinking and methods are used over a broad spectrum of industrial, research, educational, business, and government activities.
University of Idaho
With a Master of Science (M.S.) in Statistics, you'll learn to effectively apply statistical principles and data analysis.
Iowa State University
In 1994, the statistics department signed an agreement with General Motors Corporation to deliver a Master of Science to GM employees.
California State University, Fullerton
M.S. Degree in Statistics with a state-of-the art curriculum. Complete online or in-person.
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
Northwestern's Master of Science in Predictive Analytics (MSPA) enhances students' capability for data-driven decision making.
University of Maryland - College Park
Big data is in big demand. According to a report from McKinsey & Company, in 2011, it was estimated that there will be a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers and analysts with the know-how to use t...
Earn your Master of Science in Business Analytics and learn how to generate business insights from complex data sets and guide your organization toward informed and actionable decisions.
Pennsylvania State University
Master of Professional Studies in Data Analytics with an option in Business Analytics...
Colorado State University
Sharpen your abilities to gather and make inferences from data, and effectively communicate your statistical findings when you earn your Master of Applied Statistics online with Colorado State University.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
At Harrisburg University, we know that today’s graduate student has multiple obligations and responsibilities.
Bay Path University
Through our rigorous and comprehensive curriculum, Bay Path University’s MS in Applied Data Science will teach the fundamental principles, platforms, and tool-sets of the data science profession.
Southern New Hampshire University
Collecting, organizing and interpreting statistical information is the job of a Data Analyst. Put another way, it’s a very advanced way to paint by numbers. SNHU's data analytics master’s focuses on big data, how it'...
The Master of Arts degree in Professional Development is a special graduate program designed to allow the college-trained person to expand his/her kno...
With the proliferation of data across all sectors of the global economy, there is an immediate need for individuals to be knowledgeable in how to harness this data for continuous analysis and study.