United States Master of Legal Studies On-Campus Programs | MLS, LLM MSL Schools
If graduate school for law is on your radar, a variety of universities offer either a Masters in Law (LLM), Master of Science in Law (MSL) or Master of Legal Studies on-Campus program. To understand the type of law graduate degree you are looking for may help you to narrow down some choices for graduate schools of law and legal studies since there are some distinctions between programs.
Why Consider Master of Legal Studies On-Campus Programs?
Master of legal studies on-campus programs offer law students and professionals the opportunity not only to gain an education in the law but also to learn how to think critically, reason, debate and engage in legal research. As post-graduate law education, most programs require students to have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university, and students may come from a variety of backgrounds, including but not limited to, a Bachelors in legal studies or law degree.
- Law School for non-lawyers: Most graduate degree in law programs such as the Masters of legal studies are designed for non-lawyers, who find themselves in careers where they might benefit from learning about legal procedures such as contract negotiations.
- Understand U.S. legal system: Other Masters in law programs such as LLM degree programs may help international students brush up on their knowledge of the United States legal system. Alternatively, a U.S. student might choose a Master of Law in International Law to understand how the legal system works in a foreign country. This might be of interest to current and/or aspiring immigration lawyers.
- Potentially expand a law Practice: Or, graduate law school may be a place where currently licensed lawyers continue their education by learning a specialized area of practice such as Masters of law degrees in environmental law or taxation law.
DID YOU KNOW? When surveyed about their education level, 16 % of Labor Arbitrators indicated they had earned a Master’s degree.i
Potential Benefits of On-Campus MLS, MSL or LLM Programs
Master of legal studies on-campus programs may vary in curriculum and format, however, unlike for most fully MLS online programs, there is face-to-face learning. In fact, students may be in small law graduate school classes where they may have the opportunity to develop mentorships, personal and professional relationships with classmates, lecturers and teachers.
- MLS, LLM and MSL schools may also cater to working professionals by offering classes in the evenings;
- Some Masters in Legal Studies schools may also have full-time and part-time enrollment options;
- You may have the opportunity to join campus associations, organizations or network with peers;
- Law graduate schools may use a highly interactive form of class discussion and analysis which might include debating issues, examining case studies, and Socratic questioning;
- Law courses may use interviewing courses to help students apply their knowledge;
What Might I Look for in MLS, LLM, MSL Schools?
Some of the factors you may wish to consider in choosing a graduate school for law and legal studies are;
- What type of law graduate degree you are interested in? Master of science in Law, MA Legal Studies, MSL degree or LLM degree are some of the options you might be scrolling through
- Subject Specialties
- Finding accredited MLS, LLM or MSL Schools
- Location needs
Master of Studies in Law On-Campus Programs
MSL Schools: Master of Studies in Law (MSL) degree campus programs may be oriented for non-lawyers who want to learn the basics of legal concepts and explore the relationship between law and their discipline (science, technology, mathematics, engineering, business). Typically, the MSL degree is a one-year program and it is intended for those who do not desire a professional law degree.
Master of Legal Studies On-Campus Programs
MLS Schools: Master of Legal Studies on-campus (MLS) degree programs are also typically one-year degree programs oriented to non-lawyers who may work or aspire to work with regulations, negotiations, legal issues or lawyers. Students may also learn the process of legal analysis through case examinations or in learning about the laws and regulations that are related to their special interests (e.g. Intellectual property).
MA Legal Studies or Master of Science in Law Schools may also offer similar types of graduate degrees in law which may address issues such as compliance and how the regulatory environments might affect different types of professionals and entrepreneurs.
Masters of Law On-Campus Programs
LLM Schools: Masters of Law (LLM degree) campus programs are law graduate programs which are oriented to students (currently licensed attorneys) who have previously earned a Juris Doctor from an ABA-accredited law school or comparable legal degree from a non-U.S. law school. The LLM is not a law degree that prepares its graduates to take the Bar exams, however it might help an attorney refine skills and expand comprehension and expertise in a specific domain.
Find a Master of Legal Studies on-Campus program in a specific location: Are you looking for an MLS degree program or LLM degree program in a specific city, state or country? Use the location setting on our navigation to refine your search results. Location may be a consequential factor – especially if a graduate school for law and legal studies has partnerships with local businesses, law firms or other organizations where you might expand your professional circles or possibly, career opportunities.
Masters in Legal Studies on Campus: Specialty Programs
Look for Masters in legal studies on-campus programs using our on-page navigation in specialty areas such as:
- Masters in Environmental Law campus programs
- Masters in Health Care Law campus programs
- Masters in Intellectual Property campus programs
- Masters in International Law campus programs
- JD Law Programs campus programs
- LLM’s Masters of Law campus programs
- Masters in Taxation Law campus programs
Prospective legal studies Masters degree students might also consider any law-related volunteer, clinic, internship or externship programs are available by prospective law graduate schools.
Find Accredited MLS, LLM and MSL Schools
Accreditation is a process in which an outside agency or agencies evaluate a school's programs and faculty to ensure that they meet applicable academic and/or professional standards. The U.S. Department of Education does not accredit institutions itself, but it does recognize six regional accrediting agencies including the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the North Central Association (NCA). Masters of Legal Studies on-Campus programs may be offered at graduate schools with such regional accreditation. A fully accredited law school may be accredited by the American Bar Association which is the accreditation agency for law programs that lead to the Juris Doctor Degree.
Take the Next Step
Find campus-based Master in Legal Studies, Master of Science in Law and Masters of Law degree programs in law you are passionate about. Use the assistance of our on-page navigation to refine your preferences by ‘specialty’, then submit a form to request more information from the schools on your list. Take the next step in your legal studies and law graduate education today.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
Strengthen your practice in child welfare with the MSW/MJ in Child and Family Law Dual Degree program. This program is designed for professionals who do not wish to practice law but seek a deeper understanding of legal issues affecting those they serve.
- Chicago, IL
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
The Chicago School of Professional PsychologyUpcoming Start Date: May 06, 2019
- Los Angeles, CA
- Chicago, IL
- Washington, DC
- Edinburgh, United KingdomEdinburgh, United Kingdom
University of Edinburgh
This specialist and popular masters programme aims to provide an in-depth knowledge and critical understanding of the institutions, rules and principles of the international economic system, as well as of key legal and policy issues arising from the glob...
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Newton, MANewton, MA
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
- Morgantown, WVMorgantown, WV
West Virginia University
- Annapolis, MDAnnapolis, MD
St. John's College
- Fort Lauderdale, FLFort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern UniversityUpcoming Start Date: March 11, 2019
NSU Law's, two-year, 30-credit Master's in Health Law program teaches non-lawyer, health care professionals the skills necessary to effectively identi...
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Newark, NJNewark, NJ
Seton Hall University
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
- Frankfurt Am Main, GermanyFrankfurt Am Main, Germany
Institute for Law and Finance of Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
The Institute for Law and Finance at Frankfurt's Goethe University offers a unique one-year Masters of law program leading to...
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
University of Southern California
The USC LL.M. Program for Foreign Lawyers is a one-year program for practicing attorneys, law graduates, or legal professionals who are interested in...
- Los Angeles, CA
- Ithaca, NYIthaca, NY
Cornell is a national center of learning located in Ithaca, New York, the heart of the Finger Lakes region of New York State. The law school's small classes, broad curriculum and distinguished faculty, combined with the advantages of being part of one o...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
- Grand Forks, NDGrand Forks, ND
University of North Dakota
This program is designed for the full-time student and covers a period of three academic years.
- Lancaster, United KingdomLancaster, United Kingdom
- Wichita, KSWichita, KS
Presidents College School Of Law
The only part-time law school in Kansas, with classes offered in the evening and on weekends. We are currently seeking ABA accreditation.
- Nottingham, United KingdomNottingham, United Kingdom
University of Nottingham
The School of Law is one of the most popular law schools in the UK with over 200 students on our Postgraduate courses. Rated as 'internationally outstanding' (Grade 5A) for research and as 'Excellent' for teaching, the School offers the opportunity to s...
- Sheffield, United KingdomSheffield, United Kingdom
Sheffield Hallam University
- Victoria, BCVictoria, BC
Royal Roads University
- Hayes, United KingdomHayes, United Kingdom