Washington, DC Masters of Elementary Education Online
Are you beginning your search for online elementary education master’s programs? Looking to take the next step in your teaching career, or perhaps looking to branch out into a new field?
Online Masters in Elementary Education Programs
Online elementary education master’s programs may be the flexible and convenient best choice for you as you take your next academic journey as elementary school teachers while maintaining your schedule and lifestyle. Read below for more information on top online masters in elementary education programs.
Elementary Education Master’s Program Online : The Basics
Depending on course intensity and students’ course load registration, elementary education master’s programs may take 1 to 3 years to complete. Program lengths in an online masters in elementary education vary by school. Academically speaking, many programs may also require applicants to hold a 2.0-3.0 undergraduate GPA. Other commonly requested application items may be: letters of recommendation, personal essays, CVs and resumes, and a professional teaching portfolio.
Some schools may offer a teaching licensure program congruent with their master’s program – making these degree programs perfectly suited for undergraduates looking to transfer into the teaching field. Programs offering only a master’s degree in elementary education may solely accept currently accredited teachers not seeking accreditation.
In order to meet some state’s teaching licensure criteria, schools may also require state issued exams prior to admission. Check your school’s admission policies to ensure criteria are met.
Why Should I Pursue Online Masters in Elementary Education Programs?
While having earned an undergraduate degree is required for teaching licensure, earning a master’s degree in elementary education may not seem as vital. Here are a few facts that show the potential benefits of earning a master’s degree:
- Some states require teachers to seek out advanced degrees after earning their initial certification.[i]
- Statistically speaking, many teachers earn a wage premium after completing a master’s degree program. Education admins who have earned their master’s degree have wage premium of $23,000 over their colleagues who earned only a bachelor’s degree[ii].
- With additional education, teachers may progress career-wise into roles such as instructional coordinators, administration leadership, or even principals.[iii]
Choosing an Online Elementary Education Master’s Program
Selecting an online elementary education master’s program could be a daunting task. Fortuantely, with so many options, there may be a perfect program to address your unique wants and needs. Each online masters in elementary education degree touches on a different aspect of the teaching method, making unique concentrations easy. Understanding the basics of each type of elementary education master’s degree might make your decision easier:
- The Master of Arts in Teaching further enforces good in-classroom teaching methods and skills and classroom management. You may see courses that focus on general elementary academia and creative extracurriculars. This program may be perfect for those newly entering the field, as it addresses general K-12 curriculum.
- Master of Science in Elementary Education degree programs take a research-oriented approach to teaching, placing their learning focus on analyzing scientific trends that benefit students within a broader educational system.
- Master of Education in Elementary Education degree programs place their focus on having students learn program implementation and innovative problem solving. While the degree does touch on general teaching method, its goal is to address overarching academic hurdles
Earn your Online Masters in Elementary Education
Once you’ve picked the perfect degree type, you’ll have to focus on choosing your online program. Earning your online master’s degree in elementary education might be convenient for many reasons: whether it’s the non-existent commute or its flexible class scheduling. Not to mention, many schools extend their academic resources – such as libraries and database usage – to their online students, giving you similar advantages as on-campus students.
Online Master’s in Elementary Education programs may be completed in several formats:
- Synchronous online programs may require students to be available during specific, scheduled course times: whether streaming a lecture, logging into a course chatroom, or entering a conference call. These types of programs aim at incorporating aspects of a traditional, on-campus learning with the online experience.
- Asynchronous online programs may not require you to log into a course at a scheduled time or day. Students are given the ability to finish coursework at a time convenient for them. These types of programs may be favorable to those seeking flexibility in their courses.
With your classroom in your computer, your course can go where you go!
Some degrees may require you to take state education licensure tests prior to course completion. While these tests do require you to take them in-person, they offer a wide range of scheduled times. Check in with your program to confirm when these tests are required.
Find the Perfect Online Elementary Education Master’s Program Today!
Ready to start looking for a perfect online elementary education master’s program? GradSchools.com is ready and waiting! To narrow down your Online Masters in Elementary Education search results, select your desired master’s program. Remember, you’re able to remove filters to broaden your search. Once you’re happy with your results, start researching which online program may be great for you. Find your perfect online elementary education master’s program today!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm | [ii] bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm#Education | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm#tab-4
Walden University’s M.S. in Education (M.S.Ed.) is an online degree program that focuses on increasing teacher and student success. The program’s cutting-edge curriculum connects students with nationally recognized education experts, researchers, and sc...
University of Northern Colorado - Extended Campus
This online program is designed to prepare specialist and general K-12 classroom teachers to meet the educational needs of emergent bilingual learners throughout Colorado, the United States and around the world.
Grand Canyon University
M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education NITL
Become an expert educator, advocate and leader with the Master of Education in Early Childhood and Early Childhood Special Education degree at Grand Canyon University (GCU).
- Lynchburg, VALynchburg, VA
Liberty University Online
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
One of the best online graduate education programs in the country, according to the 2013 U.S. News and World Report survey.
The M.Ed. in Early Childhood Education prepares certified teachers with the skills, knowledge, and experience to advance in...
- Nyack, NYNyack, NY
Nyack College offers MS programs in Childhood Education, Special Education and TESOL.
- Hickory, NCHickory, NC
Lenoir - Rhyne University
The Lenoir-Rhyne Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is designed for students who have earned a non-education undergraduate degree and wish to pursue middle grades or secondary teacher licensure.
University of Southern California
Help all students achieve their full potential with a Master's of Education in Advanced Instruction delivered online from the...
Ball State University
Ball State University’s master of arts in education in elementary education is one of the most customizable MAE’s in elementary education programs in the country because of its many focus and specialty area options. Students can choose from three elemen...
University of Pittsburgh
This program is designed for certified elementary teachers who want to complete a Masters Degree.
University of New England
The Literacy concentration devotes 15 credit hours of the Masters in Education Online program...
Master's degrees offered in Jewish Teacher Education...
Arkansas State University
Only available to students in Arkansas at this time.
Learning Sciences International and Wilkes University have joined together to offer online graduate credit professional development courses using LSI's unique eMBEDDED LEARNING model. The eMBEDDED LEARNING model provides maximum flexibility by integrati...
University of West Alabama
Students who complete requirements for the degree of Master of Education and who meet all requirements specified by the State...
University of Missouri - Columbia
MUÆs online master of education program, with a focus in literacy, offers practicing educators a masterÆs degree with an emphasis in learning and inst...
University of Missouri - St Louis
The program offers emphasis areas in Early Childhood Education, General Curriculum or Reading.
Slippery Rock University
30-hour online program designed to assist certified teachers in becoming leaders in the instruction of mathematics and science...