Online Masters in International Education Programs and Degrees
Online Masters in International Education Programs and Degrees Info
For graduate students who are interested in planning, implementing, managing, and assessing education degrees in the U.S. and abroad, earning an Online Masters in International Education Degree may be an academic choice with the potential to lead to exciting careers in both the public and private sectors. The BLS reports that job opportunities may be plentiful overseas for qualified teachers.
What are Online Masters in International Education Degree?
It’s a higher education program that can be pursued online by graduate students who want to focus their studies on international education. Online Masters in International Education programs offer a wide-ranging approach to education that aims to help prepare students to be active and engaged professionals in an interrelated world. Broadly, online international education masters programs involve examinations of the cultures, languages, environmental situations, governments, political relations, religions, geography and history of the world.
Generally, the goal of online masters in international ed programs is to provide enhanced comprehension of current educational issues for teachers in primary, secondary, or tertiary education. Students could learn how to design, implement, manage, and evaluate international education degrees for schools, colleges, non-profit organizations, and corporations in both public and private educational and cultural agencies. Some online degrees could also develop the research skills needed for advanced education at the PhD international education level.
What Can You Do with an Online Masters in International Education Degree?
With a degree in international education, graduates may pursue careers as educational consultants, corporate trainers, policy analysts, or government officials. They might also work for non-profit organizations or become involved in curriculum development or program evaluation for international schools.
Most online master’s degree programs in international education require between 30 and 36 credit hours of coursework. Students may be able to complete their degree within two years, although part-time students may take longer. Many programs also offer a thesis or capstone project as an option for completing the degree.
To be accepted into an online master’s degree in international education, applicants typically need to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Some programs may require education, such as sociology or psychology or a related field for that undergrad. Other requirements for admission may include statements of purpose and letters of recommendation, English proficiency, GPA, and GRE scores, although this is not always the case.
What are the Potential Advantages of earning a Masters in International Education Online?
Distance learning is often a great fit for the busy adult or the working professional who wants to update knowledge and technical skills by earning their masters in international education while not being able to get to an actual classroom. This flexibility makes online study appealing and certainly takes the commute time out of the mix. Usually, the latest digital technology is used to keep students connected to their classmates and professors. Online research and libraries also can contribute to the appeal of this learning format.
Potential coursework for Online International Education Master’s Degree
The actual courses and program format for international education can vary between schools, and be influenced by any area of concentration you are interested in or what educational background you have, whether this is psychology, education, business, or languages. There are different topics of study in some programs because the field is multi-disciplinary. The program you chose may have courses that include:
- Political science
- Knowledge of other world regions and cultures
- Familiarity with international and global issues
- Skills in working effectively in global or cross-cultural environments
- Ability to communicate in different languages
- Dispositions towards respect and concern for other peoples and cultures
Popular Schools with Online International Education Graduate Masters Programs
What kind of career path may I pursue with a masters degree in International Education?
Potential career paths for graduates holding a master in international education degree can vary depending on different factors, such as level of education and experience. Per the BLS, some of the potential job outcomes might include the following:
- Postsecondary Education Administrators: Oversee student services, admissions, academics, and faculty research at colleges and universities. Although a Bachelor’s degree may be sufficient for some entry-level positions, a master’s or higher degree is often required.
- Post Secondary Teachers: Instruct student in a wide variety of academic and vocational subjects beyond the high school level, as well as conduct research and publish scholarly papers and books. Most commonly, postsecondary teachers must have a PhD, however a master’s degree may be sufficient in some community colleges.
- Instructional Coordinators: Oversee school curriculums and teaching standards. They develop instructional material, coordinate its implementation with teachers and principles, and assess its effectiveness. People in this occupation need a master’s degree and related work experience such as teaching or school administration.
- Training and Development Managers: Plan, direct, and coordinate programs to enhance the knowledge and skills of an organization’s employees, oversee training and development specialists. People in these occupations may need a Master’s degree with a concentration in training and development.
- Training and Development Specialists: Help plan, conduct, and administer programs that train employees and improve their skills and knowledge, and work in nearly every industry. People in this occupation need a Bachelor’s degree, and related work experience.
- Elementary, Middle, and High School Principals: are responsible for managing all school operations including daily school activities, curricula, and overseeing staff. Typically principals need a master’s degree in education administration or leadership.
- High School Teachers: Help prepare students for life after graduation; high school teachers need a bachelor’s degree; some states require them to earn a master’s degree after earning their teaching certification.
- Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers: Help prepare younger students for future schooling by teaching basic subjects such as math and reading. People in this occupation need a bachelor’s degree; some states require them to earn a master’s degree after earning their teaching certification.
- Special Education Teachers: Help students with physical, mental, emotional, or learning disabilities succeed in school. Most states require special education teachers to have a bachelor’s degree and a teaching certification; some states also require a master’s program.
Ready to pursue an Online Masters in International Education?
If you enjoy studying different cultures and languages combined with a passion for education and other issues of global concern, an International education masters degree program may help prepare you for different opportunities both at home and in other countries. Start your search on GradSchools.com to find an accredited online international education program that could help you reach your academic and professional goals.
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
|Metro Area||Annual Mean Salary||Employment|
|Durham-Chapel Hill, NC||$149,880||720|
|San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA||$80,690||3,290|
How to find an Online Masters in International Education Program
Searching for an online international education masters program on GradSchools.com is easy.
You can use the city, state, or country tabs to determine where programs are located. You can also just go through the listings, which may include general and concentration programs within the field. For example, you can earn an online International Family Studies MS, an online International Education MA, or online Global Studies in Education Masters Degree. These are only a few choices!
GradSchools.com offers 6 Graduate Schools with Online Masters in International Education Programs
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Institute of Global Education
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
SIT Graduate Institute
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee