Masters in Information Technology (MSIT) | MS-MBA Information Technology
Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Do you have an interest in computers? Are you looking for a degree program that might help prepare you to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of industries? If so, earning a masters in information technology(MSIT) could be a great academic choice.
What is Information Technology?
Information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. Computers and information technology touch so many aspects of modern life including:
- Cell phones
- Electronic banking
- Cloud computing and demand for cyber security
IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry. IT employed over 1.5 million people in 2011.[i] As a result, graduates holding masters in information technology could find that their education is a great preparation to pursue an assortment of careers.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Demand for security firms that help businesses protect their data and intellectual property is rising. Recent statistics indicate a 17-fold increase in the number of cyber attacks on U.S. infrastructure between 2009 and 2011.[ii]
- Most computer and information research scientists need a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field such as information systems[iii]
Masters Degrees in Information Technology | MS-MBA Information Technology
Most Masters in IT programs require an undergraduate degree whether a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or a related program. An IT professional might choose to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of different industries such as: designing hardware, software, communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They might also serve as the users and administrators of technology. Are you interested in an online information technology degree? Or are you looking for an accredited
campus program? GradSchools.com makes searching simple. Search through by degree type or by location to narrow your results.
What skills might I cultivate in a MSIT Program?
Apart from the manual dexterity you can cultivate by spending so much time typing on a computer keyboard, some Master of Science in Information Technology programs might offer students the opportunity to:
- Learn communication skills
- Enhance critical thinking abilities
- Enrich technical competencies
- Evaluate the theory, principles and practices of information systems
- Employ project management skills, and analyze data to solve complex problems
What topics might I study in a Masters in Information Technology Program?
Some information technology programs may offer the student an option to concentrate their area of focus. Some of these concentrations might include business intelligence, project management, forensic technology and information security and assurance. Coursework topics for information technology MS programs could include studies in:
- How to apply technology in the analysis and design of information systems
- Assessment ethical, legal and social issues
- Networking and Telecommunications
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
- Application of database tools
- Software technology
- Database technology
- Security technology
What are some Potential Information Technology Career Options?
If you are looking to jumpstart your career in the field of IT, earning a Master’s degree may help students prepare themselves to pursue many potential career paths. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the year 2014, workers who had earned a Master’s or Ph.D. degree earned more than workers with less education.[iv]
The BLS assesses that the IT industry can be broken down into four sub-industries, the first two of which account for 90% of all IT services employment[i]:
- Custom computer programming services
- Computer design services
- Computer facilities management services
- Other computer-related services
The four careers mentioned by the BLS as having the highest demand for qualified employees include[i]:
- Software Developers[i]:are the largest occupation in this industry, carving a 20% share. Systems software developers create and upgrade operating systems.
- Computer Programmers[i]: form about 9% of jobs in the industry. Computer programmers write code, turn the designs created by software developers into instructions that can be followed by a computer
- Computer Systems Analysts[i]: form about 9% of the IT industry. Computer systems analysts can serve as the liaison between IT departments and management, and through analysis can help improve a businesses’ efficiency.
- Computer Support Specialists[i]: form about 8% of the computer systems design and related services. Computer support specialists provide help and advice to consumers and organizations that are using computer software or equipment
Ready To Search For A Masters Degree In Information Technology?
Do you love computers? Are you looking for a career-focused master’s program that might open the door for graduates to pursue a variety of potential professional opportunities? Then, a master in Information Technology might have a lot to offer.
In addition to some of the potential career choices that are specified above, there are other areas of IT which are evolving. According to the BLS. these growing areas include:
- Cloud computing
- Mobile networking
- Health care IT
- Cybersecurity and data management
All these niche areas may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade.[i]Start looking into all your options on GradSchools.com. Find the information technology program that might help you pursue your academic and occupational goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/median-weekly-earnings-by-education-gender-race-and-ethnicity-in-2014.htm
California Baptist University
The Master of Science in Information Technology Management (MSITM) is a STEM approved program for students with a bachelor’s degree in business, technology, or significant professional experience.
- West Long Branch, NJWest Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth’s MS in Information Systems (MSIS) program is a unique, innovative program that melds management, computer science, and software engineering to prepare you for a leadership role in the IT sector...
Get to the next level of IT management.The Master's in Information Technology Management allows information technology and business professionals to develop managerial skills and technical acumen for leadership roles in technology management.
Purdue University Global
The Master of Science in Information Technology is designed to teach you communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and technical competencies to help advance your career.* Study how to evaluate the theory, principles, and practices of informati...
Claremont Graduate University
The CGU online master’s program in Information Systems & Technology will teach you to create and design software and systems that optimize human performance to produce positive results and make a valuable impact across industries and around the world.
Colorado Technical University
MS in Information Technology-General specialization. For the third year in a row, CTU’s online Master of Science in Information Technology degree programs were ranked among the Best Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
Coastal Carolina University
The Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) in Instructional Technology is a 30 credit 100% online program...
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
University of Colorado - Boulder
Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) track of the Master of Science in Technology Media and Society
Some of the most effective solutions to humanitarian problems come from leveraging technology to address human need. Achieving a balance between technology and societal need is a central objective of this two-year program.
- Waltham, MAWaltham, MA
With a master's degree in IT, you can gain the skills to analyze, architect, integrate and implement technology solutions and land those top-level jobs...
- Waltham, MA
- Waltham, MA
- Stirling, United KingdomStirling, United Kingdom
University of Stirling
Gradute programs of one year (taught Masters degrees); Masters programs by research; research degrees. Programs open to graduate students with suitabl...
Missouri University of Science and Technology
The explosive growth and utilization of information has transformed every aspect of our economy and society. The associated rise in increasingly complex technology has generated the need for highly trained professionals to implement and maintain informa...
- Rolla, KS
- Moncton, NBMoncton, NB
Université de Moncton
We are the largest Francophone (french) University outside of the province of Qu#eacute;bec in Canada.
In today's complex business environment, organizations must improve processes to become more efficient and remain competitive.
- Omaha, NE
- Newtownabbey, United KingdomNewtownabbey, United Kingdom
- Cambridge, MACambridge, MA
- Brisbane, AustraliaBrisbane, Australia
James Cook University
Postgraduate studies in Information Technology are available at Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Master level with a Business Informatics major. The joint degree, Master of Information Technology-Master of Business Administration is also avail...
- Kingston Upon Thames, United KingdomKingston Upon Thames, United Kingdom
Integrate management and IT skills and prepare yourself for new developments in digital business.
- St. John's, NFSt. John's, NF
Memorial University of Newfoundland
The George Washington School of Business Online
The Master of Science in Information Systems Technology (MSIST) program teaches technology for today and management skills...
- Saint Louis, MOSaint Louis, MO
Washington University in St Louis
A successful information manager faces challenges in both understanding the technology as well as leading a team of information workers. The School of Engineering & Applied Science offers both degree and non-degree education opportunities for working pr...
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
The Catholic University of America
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
Greenwich School of Management
An Affiliated College of The University of Hull offering the validated Hull 2 year BSc (Hons) in Management, IT, and Travel and Tourism and the Hull M...
- Toronto, ONToronto, ON
University of Toronto
Students engage with the human-centred approach to design of the Knowledge Media Design Institute (KMDI), an approach that puts people at the heart of...