British Columbia Master's in Information Technology (MSIT) Graduate Programs & Degrees
Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs in British ColumbiaDo you have an interest in computers? Are you looking for a degree program that might help prepare you to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of industries? If so, earning a masters in information technology (MSIT) could be a great academic choice.
What is Information Technology?Information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. Computers and information technology touch so many aspects of modern life including:
- Cell phones
- Electronic banking
- Cloud computing and demand for cyber security
DID YOU KNOW?
- Demand for security firms that help businesses protect their data and intellectual property is rising. Recent statistics indicate a 17-fold increase in the number of cyber attacks on U.S. infrastructure between 2009 and 2011 according to the BLS.
- Most computer and information research scientists need a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field such as information systems as per the BLS.
Masters Degrees in Information Technology | MS-MBA Information TechnologyMost Masters in IT programs near British Columbia require an undergraduate degree whether a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or a related program. An IT professional might choose to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of different industries such as: designing hardware, software, communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They might also serve as the users and administrators of technology. Are you interested in an online information technology degree? Or are you looking for an accredited campus program? GradSchools.com makes searching simple. Search through by degree type or by location to narrow your results.
What skills might I cultivate in a MSIT Program?Apart from the manual dexterity you can cultivate by spending so much time typing on a computer keyboard, some Master of Science in Information Technology programs might offer students the opportunity to:
- Learn communication skills
- Enhance critical thinking abilities
- Enrich technical competencies
- Evaluate the theory, principles and practices of information systems
- Employ project management skills, and analyze data to solve complex problems
What topics might I study in a Masters in Information Technology Program near British Columbia ?Some information technology programs may offer the student an option to concentrate their area of focus. Some of these concentrations might include business intelligence, project management, forensic technology and information security and assurance. Coursework topics for information technology MS programs could include studies in:
- How to apply technology in the analysis and design of information systems
- Assessment ethical, legal and social issues
- Networking and Telecommunications
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
- Application of database tools
- Software technology
- Database technology
- Security technology
What are some Potential Information Technology Career Options?If you are looking to jumpstart your career in the field of IT, earning a Master’s degree may help students prepare themselves to pursue many potential career paths. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the year 2014, workers who had earned a Master’s or Ph.D. degree earned more than workers with less education. The BLS assesses that the IT industry can be broken down into four sub-industries, the first two of which account for 90% of all IT services employment:
- Custom computer programming services
- Computer design services
- Computer facilities management services
- Other computer-related services
- Software Developers: are the largest occupation in this industry, carving a 20% share. Systems software developers create and upgrade operating systems.
- Computer Programmers: form about 9% of jobs in the industry. These professionals write code, turn the designs created by software developers into instructions that can be followed by a computer
- Computer Systems Analysts: form about 9% of the IT industry. These analysts can serve as the liaison between IT departments and management, and through analysis can help improve a businesses’ efficiency.
- Computer Support Specialists: form about 8% of the computer systems design and related services. Computer support specialists provide help and advice to consumers and organizations that are using computer software or equipment
Ready To Search For A Masters Degree In Information Technology in British Columbia?Do you love computers? Are you looking for a career-focused master’s program that might open the door for graduates to pursue a variety of potential professional opportunities? Then, a master in Information Technology might have a lot to offer. In addition to some of the potential career choices that are specified above, there are other areas of IT which are evolving. According to the BLS. these growing areas include:
- Cloud computing
- Mobile networking
- Health care IT
- Cybersecurity and data management
Did you mean to Limit Your Search to British Columbia ?
Expanding your search nationwide can vastly improve your odds of finding the perfect Information Technology degreeShow Me Information Technology Programs Nationwide!
Purdue University Global
Royal Roads University
University of British Columbia