Finland Masters in Information Technology (MSIT) | MS-MBA Information Technology
Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Do you have an interest in computers? Are you looking for a degree program that might help prepare you to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of industries? If so, earning a masters in information technology(MSIT) could be a great academic choice.
What is Information Technology?
Information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. Computers and information technology touch so many aspects of modern life including:
- Cell phones
- Electronic banking
- Cloud computing and demand for cyber security
IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry. IT employed over 1.5 million people in 2011.[i] As a result, graduates holding masters in information technology could find that their education is a great preparation to pursue an assortment of careers.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Demand for security firms that help businesses protect their data and intellectual property is rising. Recent statistics indicate a 17-fold increase in the number of cyber attacks on U.S. infrastructure between 2009 and 2011.[ii]
- Most computer and information research scientists need a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field such as information systems[iii]
Masters Degrees in Information Technology | MS-MBA Information Technology
Most Masters in IT programs require an undergraduate degree whether a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or a related program. An IT professional might choose to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of different industries such as: designing hardware, software, communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They might also serve as the users and administrators of technology. Are you interested in an online information
technology degree? Or are you looking for an accredited campus program? GradSchools.com makes searching simple. Search through by degree type or by location to narrow your results.
What skills might I cultivate in a MSIT Program?
Apart from the manual dexterity you can cultivate by spending so much time typing on a computer keyboard, some Master of Science in Information Technology programs might offer students the opportunity to:
- Learn communication skills
- Enhance critical thinking abilities
- Enrich technical competencies
- Evaluate the theory, principles and practices of information systems
- Employ project management skills, and analyze data to solve complex problems
What topics might I study in a Masters in Information Technology Program?
Some information technology programs may offer the student an option to concentrate their area of focus. Some of these concentrations might include business intelligence, project management, forensic technology and information security and assurance. Coursework topics for information technology MS programs could include studies in:
- How to apply technology in the analysis and design of information systems
- Assessment ethical, legal and social issues
- Networking and Telecommunications
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
- Application of database tools
- Software technology
- Database technology
- Security technology
What are some Potential Information Technology Career Options?
If you are looking to jumpstart your career in the field of IT, earning a Master’s degree may help students prepare themselves to pursue many potential career paths. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the year 2014, workers who had earned a Master’s or Ph.D. degree earned more than workers with less education.[iv]
The BLS assesses that the IT industry can be broken down into four sub-industries, the first two of which account for 90% of all IT services employment[i]:
- Custom computer programming services
- Computer design services
- Computer facilities management services
- Other computer-related services
The four careers mentioned by the BLS as having the highest demand for qualified employees include[i]:
- Software Developers[i]:are the largest occupation in this industry, carving a 20% share. Systems software developers create and upgrade operating systems.
- Computer Programmers[i]: form about 9% of jobs in the industry. Computer programmers write code, turn the designs created by software developers into instructions that can be followed by a computer
- Computer Systems Analysts[i]: form about 9% of the IT industry. Computer systems analysts can serve as the liaison between IT departments and management, and through analysis can help improve a businesses’ efficiency.
- Computer Support Specialists[i]: form about 8% of the computer systems design and related services. Computer support specialists provide help and advice to consumers and organizations that are using computer software or equipment
Ready To Search For A Masters Degree In Information Technology?
Do you love computers? Are you looking for a career-focused master’s program that might open the door for graduates to pursue a variety of potential professional opportunities? Then, a master in Information Technology might have a lot to offer.
In addition to some of the potential career choices that are specified above, there are other areas of IT which are evolving. According to the BLS. these growing areas include:
- Cloud computing
- Mobile networking
- Health care IT
- Cybersecurity and data management
All these niche areas may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade.[i]Start looking into all your options on GradSchools.com. Find the information technology program that might help you pursue your academic and occupational goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/median-weekly-earnings-by-education-gender-race-and-ethnicity-in-2014.htm
Northcentral UniversityUpcoming Start Date: April 29, 2019
Colorado Technical University
MS in Information Technology-General specialization. For the third year in a row, CTU’s online Master of Science in Information Technology degree programs were ranked among the Best Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Greenwood Village, CO
- Colorado Springs, CO
Build your foundation in IT with a master's in information technology, analytics degree while gaining knowledge of topics that include data-driven decision making, statistical methods, and cultural and ethical aspects of data analysis.
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
University of Colorado - Boulder
Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) track of the Master of Science in Technology Media and Society
Some of the most effective solutions to humanitarian problems come from leveraging technology to address human need. Achieving a balance between technology and societal need is a central objective of this two-year program.
Purdue University Global
The Master of Science in Information Technology is designed to teach you communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and technical competencies to help advance your career.* Study how to evaluate the theory, principles, and practices of informati...
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Des Moines, IA
- Helsinki, FinlandHelsinki, Finland
EIT Digital Master School
The programme is a double degree programme, which means that you’ll study at two European universities (and countries). The programme has an integrated technical content (Technical major) and business content (Innovation & Entrepreneurship – I&E minor)...
- Helsinki, Finland
- Berlin, Germany
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Rennes, France
- Trento, Italy
- Paris, France
- Budapest, Hungary
Southern New Hampshire University
The MS IT Database Design concentration provides real-world experience in database design applications, giving you a competitive advantage in securing a position in this field.
Grantham UniversityUpcoming Start Date: May 08, 2019
The objective of the Information Technology degree program is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to manage information technology systems and projects in an organization.
California State University, Northridge
Want to empower disabled individuals to live more fulfilling lives? The online MS Assistive Technology Studies and Human Services program was created to form assistive technology specialists who'll ensure AT users benefit fully from advances in the field.
- Emporia, KSEmporia, KS
Emporia State University
The 36 hour proposed MSIT program includes 24 hours of required courses covering broad technological areas, such as database management, cloud computing, electronic commerce, and enterprise architecture...
California State University, Northridge
This 36-unit program is designed for maximum flexibility to help working students earn their Master of Knowledge Management degree in as little as two years. Classes are delivered fully online and taken one at a time, with only two courses per semester.
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
4 Emphases: Construction Management; Information Technology; Manufacturing Engineering Systems; & Technology Engineering Educ...
- Leeds, United KingdomLeeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Metropolitan University
Illinois Institute of Technology
The mission of the Master of Information Technology & Management program is to educate and inform students to prepare them to assume technical and managerial leadership in the information technology field. The Information Technology and Management progr...
- Chicago, IL
- Birmingham, United KingdomBirmingham, United Kingdom
Aston University campus is within easy walking distance of the centre of Birmingham, UK.
- Birmingham, United Kingdom
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
CECOS London College of IT and Management
CECOS London College is the distance learning centre of CECOS University which offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses in I.
- West Long Branch, NJWest Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth’s MS in Information Systems (MSIS) program is a unique, innovative program that melds management, computer science, and software engineering to prepare you for a leadership role in the IT sector...
- South Orange, NJSouth Orange, NJ
Seton Hall UniversityUpcoming Start Date: May 21, 2019
MS program focuses on one specific field requiring the support of "re-tooled" managers with updated skills and information in their respective areas.
- Beaverton, ORBeaverton, OR
OGI School Of Science And Engineering at OHSU
- Statesboro, GAStatesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University