Online Masters in Information Technology(MSIT) | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
Online Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Are you driven by data? Do you enjoy spending time at a computer? Are you fascinated by technology and the impact it has on modern society? If so, earning an Online Masters in Information Technology Degree(MSIT) might help you develop the communication skills, technical competencies and critical thinking abilities the might potentially help you pursue exciting career options in the field of information technology. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the field of computer information and research science will grow by 15% between 2012 and 2022.[i]
Information Technology Defined:
Basically, information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. The uses of computer technology are constantly evolving according to the BLS; cloud computing, mobile networking, health care IT, cyber security and data management may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade. [ii]
An IT professional might pursue potential career opportunities in any of several different industries, from designing hardware and software, to communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They are the users and administrators of technology, and the IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry, employing over 1.5 million people in 2011.[ii]
Potential Advantages to Online Masters in Information Technolgoy Degree Programs
- Flexibility: Whether you are a working professional in the field of information technology looking to jumpstart their career by learning current skill-sets and modalities, or you are someone who needs to balance study time with other factors, earning your IT degree online could be an expedient format.
- Convenience: Some programs allow learners to access the course content management system on
- their own timetable, which makes studying while working possible. Also, there is no commute time to class!
- Online Interactions: Up-to-date technology can allow students to stay connected to classmates and professors. Access to on-line libraries and research tools can make homework and studying an Internet connection away.
Online Masters in Information Technology Degree Curriculum | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
While online masters in information technology degree programs may vary from school to school, Master of Science in IT curriculums might help students develop advanced knowledge and specialized skills. Masters programs in IT often involve a combination of computer-related and management courses in their curriculum although some are specialized, like Cyber security or Business Administration. According to the BLS, it is common for computer and information systems managers to earn a graduate degree, and a MBA is common[iii]. Some of the coursework in MSIT programs can involve such topics as:
- Networking and Telecommunications
- How to employ project management skills
- Theory, principles and practices of information systems
- How to analyze data and solve complex problems
- Computer systems security – cybersecurity
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
IT: Important Truths:
- Employment of computer and information systems managers is projected to grow 15%[iii]
- Demand for computer and information systems managers will increase as businesses continue to develop their uses of wireless and mobile networks[iv]
- Employment growth will likely result from the need to fortify cyber security in Information Technology departments[iv]
- Although IT employees can gain experience in a variety of industries, and applicant’s work experience should be related to the industry that he or she plans to manage[iii]
- Employment of systems software developers in this industry is expected to grow 72% between 2010 and 2020[ii]
Potential Careers Opportunities in the Field of Information Technology:
There are different possible occupations that one might choose to pursue in the Information Technology industry. While computer occupations, according to BLS statistics, form over half of the industry, there are also a large number of managers, business and financial workers, and administrative jobs.[ii] Some of the potential careers in Information Technology and their functions may include:
- Computer Programmers[v]: write code to create software programs
- Computer Support Specialists[vi]: provide help and guidance to people and organizations and support IT employees within organizations
- Computer and Information Systems Managers[vii]: (IT managers) plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Computer Systems Analyst[viii]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design solutions to make the business run more efficiently
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[viii]: invent and design new approaches to computing as well as find ways to innovate with existing technology.
- Computer Hardware Engineers[ix]: research, design, develop and test computer systems
- Computer Network Architects[x]: design and build data communication networks
Ready To Search for an accredited Online Masters in Information Technology?
Whether you are interested in creating security applications to deter and fight cyber-crime, or building cloud-computing networks, the services that form part of the information technology world are evolving. Why not begin your search on GradSchools.com for the online information technology degree that might potentially help you pursue to your professional and academic aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm
Missouri University of Science and Technology
The explosive growth and utilization of information has transformed every aspect of our economy and society. The associated rise in increasingly complex technology has generated the need for highly trained professionals to implement and maintain informa...
The Master of Science in Managing Information Technology is designed for both IT professionals seeking the knowledge to keep pace with technological c...
Concordia University - Wisconsin
Master of Science in Information Technology...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
The Graduate Program in Information technology is a combined degree and certificate program offered collaboratively by Virginia Tech's College of Engineering, College of Arts and Sciences, and Pamplin College of Business. The program is an innovative bl...
City University of Seattle
City University of Seattle's Master of Science in Technology Management (M.S.T.
University of Wisconsin - Stout
The MS ICT program focuses on preparing leaders in information, media, e-commerce and visual communications technologies.
Utah State University
This Technical Communications program is completely online, available worldwide for working technical/professional writers, editors, publications managers, etc. The program is designed for students who want to advance their careers by improving thei...
The Master of Arts in Information Technology Program is intended to prepare professionals in the broad field of Information Technology.
University of Georgia
The Terry Masters of Internet Technology (MIT) Program is offered as a part- time, two year evening program. The evening program is taught in Gwinnett...
The George Washington University
Please see program description...
Dakota State University
The Master of Science in Information Assurance (MSIA) prepares graduates to protect an organization's information assets.
Pennsylvania State University
To meet the increased demand for EA–related professionals, Penn State has developed the online Master of Professional Studies in Enterprise Architecture (MPS in EA).
University of the Potomac
The MIST program provides students with a balanced mix of cyber/network and leadership skills to prepare them for IT management or cyber security specialization.
University of Utah
Current education and research opportunities range from basic to applied sciences and encompass Health Information Systems, Public Health Informatics, Bioinformatics/Genetic Epidemiology and Medical Imaging for the MS and PhD degrees. Distance learning...
University of British Columbia
Graduate Studies in Educational Technology û 100% Online The program of choice for students from more than 20 countries, the MET is offered by CanadaÆs University of British Columbia through an international partnership with MexicoÆs Tec De Monterre...
George Mason University
The MS in Applied Information Technology program leverages academic and industry best practices, processes, and methodologies in the areas of informat...
University of Maine
Commonwealth Open University
Lawrence Technological University
It’s an information-driven world.
Prepare to pursue IT leadership or management-level positions in service organizations or business, health care, military, government, or nonprofit settings.
Norwich University’s online MBA program is designed for successful working professionals who want to further their credentials...