Online Masters in Information Technology(MSIT) | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
Online Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Are you driven by data? Do you enjoy spending time at a computer? Are you fascinated by technology and the impact it has on modern society? If so, earning an Online Masters in Information Technology Degree(MSIT) might help you develop the communication skills, technical competencies and critical thinking abilities the might potentially help you pursue exciting career options in the field of information technology. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the field of computer information and research science will grow by 15% between 2012 and 2022.[i]
Information Technology Defined:
Basically, information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. The uses of computer technology are constantly evolving according to the BLS; cloud computing, mobile networking, health care IT, cyber security and data management may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade. [ii]
An IT professional might pursue potential career opportunities in any of several different industries, from designing hardware and software, to communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They are the users and administrators of technology, and the IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry, employing over 1.5 million people in 2011.[ii]
Potential Advantages to Online Masters in Information Technolgoy Degree Programs
- Flexibility: Whether you are a working professional in the field of information technology looking to jumpstart their career by learning current skill-sets and modalities, or you are someone who needs to balance study time with other factors, earning your IT degree online could be an expedient format.
- Convenience: Some programs allow learners to access the course content management system on
- their own timetable, which makes studying while working possible. Also, there is no commute time to class!
- Online Interactions: Up-to-date technology can allow students to stay connected to classmates and professors. Access to on-line libraries and research tools can make homework and studying an Internet connection away.
Online Masters in Information Technology Degree Curriculum | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
While online masters in information technology degree programs may vary from school to school, Master of Science in IT curriculums might help students develop advanced knowledge and specialized skills. Masters programs in IT often involve a combination of computer-related and management courses in their curriculum although some are specialized, like Cyber security or Business Administration. According to the BLS, it is common for computer and information systems managers to earn a graduate degree, and a MBA is common[iii]. Some of the coursework in MSIT programs can involve such topics as:
- Networking and Telecommunications
- How to employ project management skills
- Theory, principles and practices of information systems
- How to analyze data and solve complex problems
- Computer systems security – cybersecurity
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
IT: Important Truths:
- Employment of computer and information systems managers is projected to grow 15%[iii]
- Demand for computer and information systems managers will increase as businesses continue to develop their uses of wireless and mobile networks[iv]
- Employment growth will likely result from the need to fortify cyber security in Information Technology departments[iv]
- Although IT employees can gain experience in a variety of industries, and applicant’s work experience should be related to the industry that he or she plans to manage[iii]
- Employment of systems software developers in this industry is expected to grow 72% between 2010 and 2020[ii]
Potential Careers Opportunities in the Field of Information Technology:
There are different possible occupations that one might choose to pursue in the Information Technology industry. While computer occupations, according to BLS statistics, form over half of the industry, there are also a large number of managers, business and financial workers, and administrative jobs.[ii] Some of the potential careers in Information Technology and their functions may include:
- Computer Programmers[v]: write code to create software programs
- Computer Support Specialists[vi]: provide help and guidance to people and organizations and support IT employees within organizations
- Computer and Information Systems Managers[vii]: (IT managers) plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Computer Systems Analyst[viii]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design solutions to make the business run more efficiently
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[viii]: invent and design new approaches to computing as well as find ways to innovate with existing technology.
- Computer Hardware Engineers[ix]: research, design, develop and test computer systems
- Computer Network Architects[x]: design and build data communication networks
Ready To Search for an accredited Online Masters in Information Technology?
Whether you are interested in creating security applications to deter and fight cyber-crime, or building cloud-computing networks, the services that form part of the information technology world are evolving. Why not begin your search on GradSchools.com for the online information technology degree that might potentially help you pursue to your professional and academic aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm
Commonwealth Open University
University of Maine
University of Michigan - Dearborn
For those responsible for using, designing, improving, installing, managing, and evaluating integrated enterprise-wide systems.
University of Maryland University College
A Master of Science in Technology Management at UMUC provides a broad-based core of management competency in the central...
University of Nebraska - Kearney
This master's degree in Instructional Technology is designed for either technology coordinators in schools or business, school...
University of Jyvaskyla
Multidisciplinary Master's Degree Programme in Digital Culture takes a critical look at the relations between the arts, culture and technology.
University of Wisconsin - Stout
The MS ICT program focuses on preparing leaders in information, media, e-commerce and visual communications technologies.
Build your foundation in IT with a master's in information technology, analytics degree while gaining knowledge of topics that include data-driven decision making, statistical methods, and cultural and ethical aspects of data analysis.
University of British Columbia
Graduate Studies in Educational Technology û 100% Online The program of choice for students from more than 20 countries, the MET is offered by CanadaÆs University of British Columbia through an international partnership with MexicoÆs Tec De Monterre...
University of Aberdeen
The Master of Science programme in Software Project Management is designed to engage across industry borders, teaching and exploring software project management skills and issues equally applicable to students who come from a wide range of ICT-intensive...
Southern New Hampshire University
The MS IT Database Design concentration provides real-world experience in database design applications, giving you a competitive advantage in securing a position in this field.
- Denton, TXDenton, TX
University of North Texas
The Department of Learning Technologies at the University of North Texas creates an atmosphere for the intellectual exchange of ideas and research related to workforce learning and performance. Our program reflects the multidisciplinary nature of the fiel...
University of the Potomac
The MIST program provides students with a balanced mix of cyber/network and leadership skills to prepare them for IT management or cyber security specialization.
The George Washington University
Please see program description...
University of Utah
Current education and research opportunities range from basic to applied sciences and encompass Health Information Systems, Public Health Informatics, Bioinformatics/Genetic Epidemiology and Medical Imaging for the MS and PhD degrees. Distance learning...
Norwich University’s online MBA program is designed for successful working professionals who want to further their credentials...
California State University, Monterey Bay
ABOUT MIST What is the MIST program all about?The Masters in Instructional Science and Technology (MIST), offered as an Interdi...
American Intercontinental University
Information technology is one of the fastest growing industries in the world today. It is essential in all industries, not just...
Prepare to pursue IT leadership or management-level positions in service organizations or business, health care, military, government, or nonprofit settings.
Central Connecticut State University
Aimed at meeting a growing national need for skilled information technology professionals who analyze database information crucial for business decision makers, Central Connecticut State UniversityÆs data mining program is unique. The first online degre...