Online Masters in Information Technology(MSIT) | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
Online Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Are you driven by data? Do you enjoy spending time at a computer? Are you fascinated by technology and the impact it has on modern society? If so, earning an Online Masters in Information Technology Degree(MSIT) might help you develop the communication skills, technical competencies and critical thinking abilities the might potentially help you pursue exciting career options in the field of information technology. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the field of computer information and research science will grow by 15% between 2012 and 2022.[i]
Information Technology Defined:
Basically, information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. The uses of computer technology are constantly evolving according to the BLS; cloud computing, mobile networking, health care IT, cyber security and data management may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade. [ii]
An IT professional might pursue potential career opportunities in any of several different industries, from designing hardware and software, to communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They are the users and administrators of technology, and the IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry, employing over 1.5 million people in 2011.[ii]
Potential Advantages to Online Masters in Information Technolgoy Degree Programs
- Flexibility: Whether you are a working professional in the field of information technology looking to jumpstart their career by learning current skill-sets and modalities, or you are someone who needs to balance study time with other factors, earning your IT degree online could be an expedient format.
- Convenience: Some programs allow learners to access the course content management system on
- their own timetable, which makes studying while working possible. Also, there is no commute time to class!
- Online Interactions: Up-to-date technology can allow students to stay connected to classmates and professors. Access to on-line libraries and research tools can make homework and studying an Internet connection away.
Online Masters in Information Technology Degree Curriculum | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
While online masters in information technology degree programs may vary from school to school, Master of Science in IT curriculums might help students develop advanced knowledge and specialized skills. Masters programs in IT often involve a combination of computer-related and management courses in their curriculum although some are specialized, like Cyber security or Business Administration. According to the BLS, it is common for computer and information systems managers to earn a graduate degree, and a MBA is common[iii]. Some of the coursework in MSIT programs can involve such topics as:
- Networking and Telecommunications
- How to employ project management skills
- Theory, principles and practices of information systems
- How to analyze data and solve complex problems
- Computer systems security – cybersecurity
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
IT: Important Truths:
- Employment of computer and information systems managers is projected to grow 15%[iii]
- Demand for computer and information systems managers will increase as businesses continue to develop their uses of wireless and mobile networks[iv]
- Employment growth will likely result from the need to fortify cyber security in Information Technology departments[iv]
- Although IT employees can gain experience in a variety of industries, and applicant’s work experience should be related to the industry that he or she plans to manage[iii]
- Employment of systems software developers in this industry is expected to grow 72% between 2010 and 2020[ii]
Potential Careers Opportunities in the Field of Information Technology:
There are different possible occupations that one might choose to pursue in the Information Technology industry. While computer occupations, according to BLS statistics, form over half of the industry, there are also a large number of managers, business and financial workers, and administrative jobs.[ii] Some of the potential careers in Information Technology and their functions may include:
- Computer Programmers[v]: write code to create software programs
- Computer Support Specialists[vi]: provide help and guidance to people and organizations and support IT employees within organizations
- Computer and Information Systems Managers[vii]: (IT managers) plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Computer Systems Analyst[viii]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design solutions to make the business run more efficiently
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[viii]: invent and design new approaches to computing as well as find ways to innovate with existing technology.
- Computer Hardware Engineers[ix]: research, design, develop and test computer systems
- Computer Network Architects[x]: design and build data communication networks
Ready To Search for an accredited Online Masters in Information Technology?
Whether you are interested in creating security applications to deter and fight cyber-crime, or building cloud-computing networks, the services that form part of the information technology world are evolving. Why not begin your search on GradSchools.com for the online information technology degree that might potentially help you pursue to your professional and academic aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm
Southern Methodist University
For more than 30 years, the SMU School of Engineering has been a national pioneer in offering distance education courses for graduate study.
University of Dallas
Computer crime, foreign and corporate espionage, and terrorism have dramatically increased corporate and government demand for Cybersecurity professionals. Information Assurance ensures overall operating integrity in government and business, while prote...
University of Aberdeen
The Master of Science programme in Software Project Management is designed to engage across industry borders, teaching and exploring software project management skills and issues equally applicable to students who come from a wide range of ICT-intensive...
Abraham Lincoln University
The University has developed a contemporary and relevant-to-industry graduate curriculum.
Southern Polytechnic State University
The Master of Science in Information Technology program is designed for those students interested in pursuing a career in the management and performan...
University of Jyvaskyla
Multidisciplinary Master's Degree Programme in Digital Culture takes a critical look at the relations between the arts, culture and technology.
University of Nebraska - Kearney
This master's degree in Instructional Technology is designed for either technology coordinators in schools or business, school...
Information Technology is rapidly changing the fundamental structure of business on a global scale.
Minnesota State University - Mankato
The Aspen University 36 credit MS in Information Technology (MSIT) program prepares students for mid-level careers in information technology in a variety of business settings. The MSIT equips learners with fundamental technical skills presented in the w...
American Global University
This program offers a course of study leading to the Master of Science (MS) in Management Information Systems.
Trident University International
The Masters in Information Technology Management prepares the graduate to manage IT systems development and implementation,...
Central Queensland University
- Denton, TXDenton, TX
University of North Texas
The Department of Learning Technologies at the University of North Texas creates an atmosphere for the intellectual exchange of ideas and research related to workforce learning and performance. Our program reflects the multidisciplinary nature of the fiel...
Golden Gate University
This degree is for those who aspire to move into technical leadership positions & expand their influence on business operations.
Western International University
You want to learn the most current information on wireless, broadband, and optical networking. You're interested in the...
The George Washington School of Business Online
The Master of Science in Information Systems Technology (MSIST) program teaches technology for today and management skills...
CapitolÆs online Internet Engineering program is a technically oriented program of study that favors students with experience in network administration, engineering or management. It is designed to fill the need for network professionals who know how to...
Dublin City University
This programme has been developed in co-operation with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland and leads to awards at Graduate Certificate,...
University of Texas Health Science Center At Houston
100% Online Degree with team oriented projects and hands-on experience in health informatics systems.
In today's complex business environment, organizations must improve processes to become more efficient and remain competitive.