United States Online Masters in Information Technology(MSIT) | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
Online Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Are you driven by data? Do you enjoy spending time at a computer? Are you fascinated by technology and the impact it has on modern society? If so, earning an Online Masters in Information Technology Degree(MSIT) might help you develop the communication skills, technical competencies and critical thinking abilities the might potentially help you pursue exciting career options in the field of information technology. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the field of computer information and research science will grow by 15% between 2012 and 2022.[i]
Information Technology Defined:
Basically, information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. The uses of computer technology are constantly evolving according to the BLS; cloud computing, mobile networking, health care IT, cyber security and data management may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade. [ii]
An IT professional might pursue potential career opportunities in any of several different industries, from designing hardware and software, to communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They are the users and administrators of technology, and the IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry, employing over 1.5 million people in 2011.[ii]
Potential Advantages to Online Masters in Information Technolgoy Degree Programs
- Flexibility: Whether you are a working professional in the field of information technology looking to jumpstart their career by learning current skill-sets and modalities, or you are someone who needs to balance study time with other factors, earning your IT degree online could be an expedient format.
- Convenience: Some programs allow learners to access the course content management system on
- their own timetable, which makes studying while working possible. Also, there is no commute time to class!
- Online Interactions: Up-to-date technology can allow students to stay connected to classmates and professors. Access to on-line libraries and research tools can make homework and studying an Internet connection away.
Online Masters in Information Technology Degree Curriculum | Online MS-MBA Information Technology
While online masters in information technology degree programs may vary from school to school, Master of Science in IT curriculums might help students develop advanced knowledge and specialized skills. Masters programs in IT often involve a combination of computer-related and management courses in their curriculum although some are specialized, like Cyber security or Business Administration. According to the BLS, it is common for computer and information systems managers to earn a graduate degree, and a MBA is common[iii]. Some of the coursework in MSIT programs can involve such topics as:
- Networking and Telecommunications
- How to employ project management skills
- Theory, principles and practices of information systems
- How to analyze data and solve complex problems
- Computer systems security – cybersecurity
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
IT: Important Truths:
- Employment of computer and information systems managers is projected to grow 15%[iii]
- Demand for computer and information systems managers will increase as businesses continue to develop their uses of wireless and mobile networks[iv]
- Employment growth will likely result from the need to fortify cyber security in Information Technology departments[iv]
- Although IT employees can gain experience in a variety of industries, and applicant’s work experience should be related to the industry that he or she plans to manage[iii]
- Employment of systems software developers in this industry is expected to grow 72% between 2010 and 2020[ii]
Potential Careers Opportunities in the Field of Information Technology:
There are different possible occupations that one might choose to pursue in the Information Technology industry. While computer occupations, according to BLS statistics, form over half of the industry, there are also a large number of managers, business and financial workers, and administrative jobs.[ii] Some of the potential careers in Information Technology and their functions may include:
- Computer Programmers[v]: write code to create software programs
- Computer Support Specialists[vi]: provide help and guidance to people and organizations and support IT employees within organizations
- Computer and Information Systems Managers[vii]: (IT managers) plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Computer Systems Analyst[viii]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design solutions to make the business run more efficiently
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[viii]: invent and design new approaches to computing as well as find ways to innovate with existing technology.
- Computer Hardware Engineers[ix]: research, design, develop and test computer systems
- Computer Network Architects[x]: design and build data communication networks
Ready To Search for an accredited Online Masters in Information Technology?
Whether you are interested in creating security applications to deter and fight cyber-crime, or building cloud-computing networks, the services that form part of the information technology world are evolving. Why not begin your search on GradSchools.com for the online information technology degree that might potentially help you pursue to your professional and academic aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm
California Baptist University
The Master of Science in Information Technology Management (MSITM) is a STEM approved program for students with a bachelor’s degree in business, technology, or significant professional experience.
Purdue University Global
Prepare to pursue IT leadership or management-level positions in service organizations or business, health care, military, government, or nonprofit settings.* Study methods for finding innovative solutions to an ever-increasing array of business and IT...
Get to the next level of IT management.The Master's in Information Technology Management allows information technology and business professionals to develop managerial skills and technical acumen for leadership roles in technology management.
Claremont Graduate University
The CGU online master’s program in Information Systems & Technology will teach you to create and design software and systems that optimize human performance to produce positive results and make a valuable impact across industries and around the world.
- Waltham, MAWaltham, MA
MSHFID combines technology and product design with a keen understanding of human behavior to influence user experience...
Colorado Technical University
MS in Information Technology-General specialization. For the third year in a row, CTU’s online Master of Science in Information Technology degree programs were ranked among the Best Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
Coastal Carolina University
The Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) in Instructional Technology is a 30 credit 100% online program...
College of St. Scholastica
With a Master of Arts in Information Technology Leadership from The College of St. Scholastica, students can advance their...
Youngstown State University
The Master of Computing and Information Systems is designed to emphasize important applied areas of computing, providing...
The M.S. in Information and Knowledge Strategy program is designed to teach the skills necessary for professionals in any industry where the need to create and leverage information and knowledge is a critical leadership requirement.
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University
MSIT offers a unique integration of both information technology and management coursework designed for experienced professionals ready to advance their career.
George Mason University
The MS in Applied Information Technology program leverages academic and industry best practices, processes, and methodologies in the areas of informat...
Arizona State University
The faculty in the Department of Technology Management offer this online degree with a concentration in Graphic Information Technology.
University of Nebraska - Kearney
This master's degree in Instructional Technology is designed for either technology coordinators in schools or business, school...
University of Maryland University College
A Master of Science in Technology Management at UMUC provides a broad-based core of management competency in the central...
Thomas Edison State College
The program is an applications-oriented program preparing students for leadership positions in the IT field.
Illinois Institute of Technology
The mission of the Master of Information Technology & Management program is to educate and inform students to prepare them to assume technical and managerial leadership in the information technology field. The Information Technology and Management progr...
Southern Polytechnic State University
The Master of Science in Information Technology program is designed for those students interested in pursuing a career in the management and performan...
Information Technology is rapidly changing the fundamental structure of business on a global scale.
University of Dallas
Computer crime, foreign and corporate espionage, and terrorism have dramatically increased corporate and government demand for Cybersecurity professionals. Information Assurance ensures overall operating integrity in government and business, while prote...