Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degrees and Programs
Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degrees and Program Info
The advancement and evolution of computer technology is changing in our modern marketplace. According to the BLS, cloud computing, mobile networking, health care IT, cyber security and data management may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade.[i]
If you are fascinated by computers, drawn to data, and interested in technology and the impact it has on modern society, a masters in information technology on campus degree might help you develop the communication skills, technical competencies and critical thinking abilities that may help you pursue potential career opportunities in the field of IT
Is Information Technology A Growing Industry?
Information technology is becoming progressively crucial in today’s world. Some interesting facts about this growth are determined in reports by the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- The BLS projects an annual growth rate of 6.1% over the next 10 years.[ii]
- Employment of network and computer systems administrators is projected to grow 12%[iii]
- Growth is expected in healthcare industries as their use of information technology increases[iv]
- Cloud computing and cybersecurity are expected to lead employment increases[v]
- Although IT employees can gain experience in a variety of industries, and applicant’s work experience should be related to the industry that he or she plans to manage[vi]
- Employment of systems software developers in this industry is projected to increase by 72% between 2010 and 2020[vii]
Potential Benefits To Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degree Programs
- Access: Studying on a college campus can give you access to the amenities, such as libraries, study labs, activities and athletic facilities.
- Individual attention: With
- face-to-face interactions between professors, teaching assistants, and classmates, you could find you are exposed to individual attention.
- Community: Information Technology programs can involve spending a lot of time in front of the computer; the community of study partners and other activities may help you achieve a study/life/work balance.
Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degree Curriculum
The curriculums in information technology degree programs vary from campus to campus. Some masters programs are focus on specific areas of information technology science such as Cyber security, or Business Administration. In fact, the BLS reports that it is common for computer and information systems managers to have a graduate degree, and a MBA is common[viii].
Broadly, Master of Science in IT curriculums may be designed to provide learners with the advanced knowledge and specialized skills that may be valuable as they pursue potential career opportunities in the IT industry. Masters programs in IT often involve both computer-related and management courses in their curriculum. Coursework might include exploration of topics like:
- Networking and Telecommunications
- How to employ project management skills
- Theory, principles and practices of information systems
- How to analyze data and solve complex problems
- Computer systems security – cybersecurity
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
What Skills Might I Acquire through Study of Information Technology?
Some of the important qualities and proficiencies that students might cultivate include[ix]:
- Analytical Thinking: being able to evaluate networks and system performance
- Communication s: being able to describe and communicate problems to non-IT workers
- Computer skills: learning different computer programs and equipment
- Ability to Multi-task: administration jobs may involve managing several projects, staff and other activities at the same time
- Problem-solving: resolve problems that arise in the computer systems or networks being managed or worked with
Potential Careers In Information Technology:
An IT professional may be able to purse potential career opportunities in several different industries, from designing hardware and software, to communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They are the people who create, use, analyze and administrate technology, and there are different possible occupations in the Information Technology industry.
According to BLS reports, computer occupations form over half of the industry; there are also a large percentage of managers, business and financial workers, and administrative jobs.[x] Some of the potential career paths in Information Technology and their functions might include:
- Computer Programmers[xi]: write code to create software programs
- Computer Support Specialists[xii]: provide help and guidance to people and organizations and support IT employees within organizations
- Computer and Information Systems Managers[xiii]: (IT managers) plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Computer Systems Analyst[xiv]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design solutions to make the business run more efficiently
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[xv]: invent and design new approaches to computing as well as find ways to innovate with existing technology.
- Computer Hardware Engineers[xvi]: research, design, develop and test computer systems
- Computer Network Architects[xvii]: design and build data communication networks
Ready To Search For An Accredited Masters in Information Technology on Campus degree?
Whether you are interested in training[xviii] users on the proper use of hardware and software, fighting cyber crime, or building cloud-computing networks, the occupations that form part of the information technology world are evolving and the IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry, employing over 1.5 million people in 2011.[xix]
Why not begin your search on GradSchools.com for the masters in information technology on campus degree that is compatible with your professional and academic aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-6 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [vii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-4 | [x] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [xii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [xiii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [xiv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [xv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [xvi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [xvii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm | [xvii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-2 | [xix] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
University of Colorado - Boulder
Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) track of the Master of Science in Technology Media and Society
Some of the most effective solutions to humanitarian problems come from leveraging technology to address human need. Achieving a balance between technology and societal need is a central objective of this two-year program.
- Arlington, VAArlington, VA
The Master of Science in Information Technology program offers advanced study to prepare individuals for leadership roles in the IT industry, whether managing enterprise infrastructure, designing computer systems with current systems life cycle...
- Bruchsal, GermanyBruchsal, Germany
International University in Germany
- Bruchsal, Germany
- Greensboro, NCGreensboro, NC
North Carolina A&T State University
- Keele, United KingdomKeele, United Kingdom
The MSc in Internet and Web Technologies is part of a suite of postgraduate courses in the School of Computing and Mathematics.
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
London Metropolitan University
Aims of the course The course has been designed for recent graduates and mature candidates currently working in industry or academia, who want to improve or update previous computing knowledge or experience in subjects such as programming, databases an...
- London, United Kingdom
- New Delhi, IndiaNew Delhi, India
Namtech Business School
This specialized MBA program is designed to meet the emerging market demand for IT management professionals.
- Hanover, GermanyHanover, Germany
Institute for Legal Informatics
The EULISP is a one-year postgraduate programme in Legal Informatics requiring students to follow a special curriculum at two of the eleven participat...
- Watson, AustraliaWatson, Australia
Australian Catholic University
- Ta'Izz, YemenTa'Izz, Yemen
- Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
King Mongkut's University of Technology Ladkrabang
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
London College Of Management And IT
The college takes great pride in the range of services it provides to students, from the study and accommodation facilities through to the quality of...
- Russellville, ARRussellville, AR
Arkansas Tech University
Study of the hardware and software mechanisms used to implement modern information systems...
- Lappeenranta, FinlandLappeenranta, Finland
Lappeenranta University of Technology
The goal of ECSE is to produce doctors of philosophy and doctors of technology within the areas of expertise of the school.
- West Long Branch, NJWest Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth’s MS in Information Systems (MSIS) program is a unique, innovative program that melds management, computer science, and software engineering to prepare you for a leadership role in the IT sector...
- Albany, NYAlbany, NY
University At Albany (S.U.N.Y.)
Masters Program: Archives/Records Admin., Library and Info. Services, Library and Info. Services/School Library Media Specialist, Info. Management and Policy, Info. Systems and Technology;Ph.D. Program: Expert and Knowledge-Based Systems, Geographic...
- Worcester, MAWorcester, MA
The M.S.I.T. program provides an in-depth overview of information technology areas and couples this knowledge with skills.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
University of Illinois at Chicago
Provides technical expertise, business and organizational knowledge,a theoretical foundation in information management and the communication skills necessary to manage information systems functions. The program prepares students to make use of informati...
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh
Housed within the Department of Information Science and Telecommunications, the Telecommunications Program draws on resources from the Departments of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Communications, and the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of...
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Ithaca, NYIthaca, NY
In Cornell's Information Science department, our focus is on studying the design and use of information systems in a social context. The creation, representation, organization, application, and analysis of information in digital forms all come under the...
- Claremont, CAClaremont, CA
Claremont Graduate University
Our schoolÆs mission is to teach Information Technology in the context of Business and Organizations. To put it another way, we graduate the architects who have a strong grounding in technology from a systems and business standpoint, and who are able to...
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
4 Emphases: Construction Management; Information Technology; Manufacturing Engineering Systems; & Technology Engineering Educ...
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
The M.S. Information Systems Management is ideal for people who aspire to be a dynamic and solution-oriented leader in information systems, data security and assurance.