United States Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degrees and Programs
Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degrees and Program Info
The advancement and evolution of computer technology is changing in our modern marketplace. According to the BLS, cloud computing, mobile networking, health care IT, cyber security and data management may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade.[i]
If you are fascinated by computers, drawn to data, and interested in technology and the impact it has on modern society, a masters in information technology on campus degree might help you develop the communication skills, technical competencies and critical thinking abilities that may help you pursue potential career opportunities in the field of IT
Is Information Technology A Growing Industry?
Information technology is becoming progressively crucial in today’s world. Some interesting facts about this growth are determined in reports by the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- The BLS projects an annual growth rate of 6.1% over the next 10 years.[ii]
- Employment of network and computer systems administrators is projected to grow 12%[iii]
- Growth is expected in healthcare industries as their use of information technology increases[iv]
- Cloud computing and cybersecurity are expected to lead employment increases[v]
- Although IT employees can gain experience in a variety of industries, and applicant’s work experience should be related to the industry that he or she plans to manage[vi]
- Employment of systems software developers in this industry is projected to increase by 72% between 2010 and 2020[vii]
Potential Benefits To Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degree Programs
- Access: Studying on a college campus can give you access to the amenities, such as libraries, study labs, activities and athletic facilities.
- Individual attention: With
- face-to-face interactions between professors, teaching assistants, and classmates, you could find you are exposed to individual attention.
- Community: Information Technology programs can involve spending a lot of time in front of the computer; the community of study partners and other activities may help you achieve a study/life/work balance.
Masters in Information Technology on Campus Degree Curriculum
The curriculums in information technology degree programs vary from campus to campus. Some masters programs are focus on specific areas of information technology science such as Cyber security, or Business Administration. In fact, the BLS reports that it is common for computer and information systems managers to have a graduate degree, and a MBA is common[viii].
Broadly, Master of Science in IT curriculums may be designed to provide learners with the advanced knowledge and specialized skills that may be valuable as they pursue potential career opportunities in the IT industry. Masters programs in IT often involve both computer-related and management courses in their curriculum. Coursework might include exploration of topics like:
- Networking and Telecommunications
- How to employ project management skills
- Theory, principles and practices of information systems
- How to analyze data and solve complex problems
- Computer systems security – cybersecurity
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
What Skills Might I Acquire through Study of Information Technology?
Some of the important qualities and proficiencies that students might cultivate include[ix]:
- Analytical Thinking: being able to evaluate networks and system performance
- Communication s: being able to describe and communicate problems to non-IT workers
- Computer skills: learning different computer programs and equipment
- Ability to Multi-task: administration jobs may involve managing several projects, staff and other activities at the same time
- Problem-solving: resolve problems that arise in the computer systems or networks being managed or worked with
Potential Careers In Information Technology:
An IT professional may be able to purse potential career opportunities in several different industries, from designing hardware and software, to communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They are the people who create, use, analyze and administrate technology, and there are different possible occupations in the Information Technology industry.
According to BLS reports, computer occupations form over half of the industry; there are also a large percentage of managers, business and financial workers, and administrative jobs.[x] Some of the potential career paths in Information Technology and their functions might include:
- Computer Programmers[xi]: write code to create software programs
- Computer Support Specialists[xii]: provide help and guidance to people and organizations and support IT employees within organizations
- Computer and Information Systems Managers[xiii]: (IT managers) plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Computer Systems Analyst[xiv]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design solutions to make the business run more efficiently
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[xv]: invent and design new approaches to computing as well as find ways to innovate with existing technology.
- Computer Hardware Engineers[xvi]: research, design, develop and test computer systems
- Computer Network Architects[xvii]: design and build data communication networks
Ready To Search For An Accredited Masters in Information Technology on Campus degree?
Whether you are interested in training[xviii] users on the proper use of hardware and software, fighting cyber crime, or building cloud-computing networks, the occupations that form part of the information technology world are evolving and the IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry, employing over 1.5 million people in 2011.[xix]
Why not begin your search on GradSchools.com for the masters in information technology on campus degree that is compatible with your professional and academic aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-6 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [vii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm#tab-4 | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-4 | [x] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [xii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [xiii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [xiv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [xv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [xvi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [xvii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm | [xvii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-2 | [xix] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf
- Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO
Colorado Technical University
Colorado Technical University's Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) degree program is designed to provide students with advanced knowledge and skills in areas of IT that are of critical importance in today's increasingly specialized marketp...
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Greenwood Village, CO
- Mason City, IAMason City, IA
Purdue University Global
Prepare to pursue IT leadership or management-level positions in service organizations or business, health care, military, government, or nonprofit settings.* Study methods for finding innovative solutions to an ever-increasing array of business and IT...
- Mason City, IA
- Lincoln, NE
- Lewiston, ME
- Indianapolis, IN
- Hagerstown, MD
- Des Moines, IA
- Davenport, IA
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Rockville, MD
- Cedar Falls, IA
- Saint Louis, MO
- South Portland, ME
- Milwaukee, WI
- Augusta, ME
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
University of Colorado - Boulder
Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) track of the Master of Science in Technology Media and Society
Some of the most effective solutions to humanitarian problems come from leveraging technology to address human need. Achieving a balance between technology and societal need is a central objective of this two-year program.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology
The M.S. in Information Architecture enhances a technical communication core with specialized concepts, skills, and tools for designing, implementing, and managing websites and related digital media. This degree provides students with expertise for a nu...
- Chicago, IL
- Leeds, United KingdomLeeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Metropolitan University
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
La Salle University
The Master of Science in Information Technology Leadership (M.S. ITL) program, a multi-disciplinary program in the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Business, provides the foundation of information technology and the leadership skills nee...
- Rochester, MIRochester, MI
This degree puts managerial and technical skills at the forefront by preparing students for a career managing information...
- Beaverton, ORBeaverton, OR
OGI School Of Science And Engineering at OHSU
- Russellville, ARRussellville, AR
Arkansas Tech University
Study of the hardware and software mechanisms used to implement modern information systems...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
London College Of Management And IT
The college takes great pride in the range of services it provides to students, from the study and accommodation facilities through to the quality of...
- Hanover, GermanyHanover, Germany
Institute for Legal Informatics
The EULISP is a one-year postgraduate programme in Legal Informatics requiring students to follow a special curriculum at two of the eleven participat...
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
- Mankato, MNMankato, MN
Minnesota State University - Mankato
- Claremont, CAClaremont, CA
Claremont Graduate University
Our schoolÆs mission is to teach Information Technology in the context of Business and Organizations. To put it another way, we graduate the architects who have a strong grounding in technology from a systems and business standpoint, and who are able to...
- Ithaca, NYIthaca, NY
In Cornell's Information Science department, our focus is on studying the design and use of information systems in a social context. The creation, representation, organization, application, and analysis of information in digital forms all come under the...
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh
The MSIS program prepares students to assume professional responsibilities in a variety of information-related specialties, e.g., systems analysis and design, database development and management, software engineering, interactive system design, expert s...
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Bruchsal, GermanyBruchsal, Germany
International University in Germany
The International University in Germany is the first private university in Germany that adopts the American university structure, offers all courses i...
- Bruchsal, Germany
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
University of Illinois at Chicago
Provides technical expertise, business and organizational knowledge,a theoretical foundation in information management and the communication skills necessary to manage information systems functions. The program prepares students to make use of informati...
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
4 Emphases: Construction Management; Information Technology; Manufacturing Engineering Systems; & Technology Engineering Educ...
- Fort Lauderdale, FLFort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
Information Technology spans organizational information systems, application technologies, software methods and technologies...
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Birmingham, United KingdomBirmingham, United Kingdom
Aston University campus is within easy walking distance of the centre of Birmingham, UK.
- Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Manchester, United KingdomManchester, United Kingdom
Manchester Metropolitan University
This programme is aimed at graduates and professionals who wish to extend their skills and knowledge in management and information systems to support...
- Manchester, United Kingdom
- Statesboro, GAStatesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University
- Troy, NYTroy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer is among the first universities to offer advanced study in Information Technology and Web Science.