Masters in Information Technology (MSIT) | MS-MBA Information Technology
Masters in Information Technology Degrees and Programs
Do you have an interest in computers? Are you looking for a degree program that might help prepare you to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of industries? If so, earning a masters in information technology(MSIT) could be a great academic choice.
What is Information Technology?
Information technology is the study of how computers process and manage all types of information, or data. Computers and information technology touch so many aspects of modern life including:
- Cell phones
- Electronic banking
- Cloud computing and demand for cyber security
IT industry is the largest of any computer-related industry. IT employed over 1.5 million people in 2011.[i] As a result, graduates holding masters in information technology could find that their education is a great preparation to pursue an assortment of careers.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Demand for security firms that help businesses protect their data and intellectual property is rising. Recent statistics indicate a 17-fold increase in the number of cyber attacks on U.S. infrastructure between 2009 and 2011.[ii]
- Most computer and information research scientists need a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field such as information systems[iii]
Masters Degrees in Information Technology | MS-MBA Information Technology
Most Masters in IT programs require an undergraduate degree whether a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or a related program. An IT professional might choose to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of different industries such as: designing hardware, software, communications networks, internet applications, and health management systems. They might also serve as the users and administrators of technology. Are you interested in an online information
technology degree? Or are you looking for an accredited campus program? GradSchools.com makes searching simple. Search through by degree type or by location to narrow your results.
What skills might I cultivate in a MSIT Program?
Apart from the manual dexterity you can cultivate by spending so much time typing on a computer keyboard, some Master of Science in Information Technology programs might offer students the opportunity to:
- Learn communication skills
- Enhance critical thinking abilities
- Enrich technical competencies
- Evaluate the theory, principles and practices of information systems
- Employ project management skills, and analyze data to solve complex problems
What topics might I study in a Masters in Information Technology Program?
Some information technology programs may offer the student an option to concentrate their area of focus. Some of these concentrations might include business intelligence, project management, forensic technology and information security and assurance. Coursework topics for information technology MS programs could include studies in:
- How to apply technology in the analysis and design of information systems
- Assessment ethical, legal and social issues
- Networking and Telecommunications
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Systems Architecture
- Enterprise Data Management
- Application of database tools
- Software technology
- Database technology
- Security technology
What are some Potential Information Technology Career Options?
If you are looking to jumpstart your career in the field of IT, earning a Master’s degree may help students prepare themselves to pursue many potential career paths. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the year 2014, workers who had earned a Master’s or Ph.D. degree earned more than workers with less education.[iv]
The BLS assesses that the IT industry can be broken down into four sub-industries, the first two of which account for 90% of all IT services employment[i]:
- Custom computer programming services
- Computer design services
- Computer facilities management services
- Other computer-related services
The four careers mentioned by the BLS as having the highest demand for qualified employees include[i]:
- Software Developers[i]:are the largest occupation in this industry, carving a 20% share. Systems software developers create and upgrade operating systems.
- Computer Programmers[i]: form about 9% of jobs in the industry. Computer programmers write code, turn the designs created by software developers into instructions that can be followed by a computer
- Computer Systems Analysts[i]: form about 9% of the IT industry. Computer systems analysts can serve as the liaison between IT departments and management, and through analysis can help improve a businesses’ efficiency.
- Computer Support Specialists[i]: form about 8% of the computer systems design and related services. Computer support specialists provide help and advice to consumers and organizations that are using computer software or equipment
Ready To Search For A Masters Degree In Information Technology?
Do you love computers? Are you looking for a career-focused master’s program that might open the door for graduates to pursue a variety of potential professional opportunities? Then, a master in Information Technology might have a lot to offer.
In addition to some of the potential career choices that are specified above, there are other areas of IT which are evolving. According to the BLS. these growing areas include:
- Cloud computing
- Mobile networking
- Health care IT
- Cybersecurity and data management
All these niche areas may all form part of the growth of the IT industry in the next decade.[i]Start looking into all your options on GradSchools.com. Find the information technology program that might help you pursue your academic and occupational goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/median-weekly-earnings-by-education-gender-race-and-ethnicity-in-2014.htm
Purdue University Global
The Master of Science in Information Technology is designed to teach you communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and technical competencies to help advance your career.* Study how to evaluate the theory, principles, and practices of informati...
- Rockville, MD
- Omaha, NE
- Augusta, ME
- South Portland, ME
- Milwaukee, WI
- Saint Louis, MO
- Cedar Falls, IA
- Des Moines, IA
- Davenport, IA
- Hagerstown, MD
- Indianapolis, IN
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Lewiston, ME
- Lincoln, NE
- Mason City, IA
California Baptist University
The Master of Science in Information Technology Management (MSITM) is a STEM approved program for students with a bachelor’s degree in business, technology, or significant professional experience.
Pennsylvania State University
Penn State's online Enterprise Architecture program is designed to create future enterprise architects who help transform business strategy into effective organizational change. Certificate and Master's in Enterprise Architecture programs are available.
Get to the next level of IT management.The Master's in Information Technology Management allows information technology and business professionals to develop managerial skills and technical acumen for leadership roles in technology management.
Claremont Graduate University
The CGU online master’s program in Information Systems & Technology will teach you to create and design software and systems that optimize human performance to produce positive results and make a valuable impact across industries and around the world.
Colorado Technical University
MS in Information Technology-General specialization. For the third year in a row, CTU’s online Master of Science in Information Technology degree programs were ranked among the Best Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Greenwood Village, CO
The Master of Science in Information Technology prepares students for careers in information technology in a variety of...
Coastal Carolina University
The Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) in Instructional Technology is a 30 credit 100% online program...
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
University of Colorado - Boulder
Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) track of the Master of Science in Technology Media and Society
Some of the most effective solutions to humanitarian problems come from leveraging technology to address human need. Achieving a balance between technology and societal need is a central objective of this two-year program.
- Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
King Mongkut's University of Technology Ladkrabang
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
La Salle University
The Master of Science in Information Technology Leadership (M.S. ITL) program, a multi-disciplinary program in the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Business, provides the foundation of information technology and the leadership skills nee...
- Carouge, SwitzerlandCarouge, Switzerland
International Information Technologies School
Our students are from different origins, they attend for 3 years a course program B.I.T. Bachelor of Information technology and M.I.T. Master of Information technology for a year and a half in order tocomplete the most sophisticated training program for...
- Stockholm, SwedenStockholm, Sweden
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Rochester, MIRochester, MI
This degree puts managerial and technical skills at the forefront by preparing students for a career managing information...
- Beaverton, ORBeaverton, OR
OGI School Of Science And Engineering at OHSU
- Russellville, ARRussellville, AR
Arkansas Tech University
Study of the hardware and software mechanisms used to implement modern information systems...
- New Delhi, IndiaNew Delhi, India
Namtech Business School
This specialized MBA program is designed to meet the emerging market demand for IT management professionals.
- Ta'Izz, YemenTa'Izz, Yemen
- Watson, AustraliaWatson, Australia
Australian Catholic University
- Hanover, GermanyHanover, Germany
Institute for Legal Informatics
The EULISP is a one-year postgraduate programme in Legal Informatics requiring students to follow a special curriculum at two of the eleven participat...
College of St. Scholastica
With a Master of Arts in Information Technology Leadership from The College of St. Scholastica, students can advance their...
University of Fairfax
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
London College Of Management And IT
The college takes great pride in the range of services it provides to students, from the study and accommodation facilities through to the quality of...