Boston Online Masters in Industrial Engineering Degrees & Programs
Online Masters in Industrial Engineering Degrees & Programs General Info
For the student who has a sharp comprehension of mathematics, chemistry, physics, and computers who has a passion for designing things so they work efficiently, an online master’s in industrial engineering could help harness your abilities and be a great academic choice. Whether you are hoping to enter the field of professional industrial engineers or other related careers, the versatility of proficiencies cultivated in industrial engineering means that professionals in this field could engage in activities that are useful to businesses, governments, and non-profits[i].
The history of the industrial engineering profession dates back to the Industrial Revolution. Industrial engineering is a limb of engineering that is concerned with the optimization of complex systems and processes. It is broadly defined as the integration of machines, staff, production, materials, money, and scientific methods[ii].
Did you know? According to the BLS, top paying industries for Industrial Engineers include[iii]:
- Oil and gas extraction
- Other pipeline transportation
- Other information services
- Petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers
- Pipeline transportation of crude oil
Online Masters in Industrial Engineering Programs
Industrial engineering programs could help prepare students to pursue careers as technical professionals in the workplace, with skills to meet the demands of the industry in different areas such as production, quality, logistics, and system engineering.
A FEW FACTS:
- Industrial engineers need a bachelor’s degree, usually in industrial engineering; some have degrees in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, industrial engineering technology, or general engineering[iv].
- Earning a graduate degree, according to the
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, allows an engineer to work as a professor in college or university, or to follow the paths of research and development[iv].
It is uncomplicated to search for online masters in industrial engineering degree programs on GradSchools.com. You can search through by degree type or use the location tabs to determine where these online programs are offered. Search for online programs that focus specifically on Industrial Engineering, or look into specialized programs in systems engineering or manufacturing engineering. If you are drawn towards management, look into a business administration oriented program in the field.
Potential Advantages to Online Masters in Industrial Engineering Programs
Whether you are already a working professional who is looking to leverage your existing skills and learn new ones to jumpstart your career, or you need the convenience of distance learning, the online format can certainly be a flexible option. Typically, students can schedule study around other factors in their life and timetable; logging into a course management system while having deadlines for homework and projects. Up-to-date technology keeps students connected to classmates, professors, and online libraries via digital tools, so you might still feel as if you were on a college campus though there is no commute!
What Might I study in an Online Industrial Engineering Masters Program?
Online Industrial Engineering program curriculums and courses can vary between schools. Typically, students can expect to study topics including:
- Production systems planning
- Manufacturing systems design
- Business administration/Organizational Management
- Human Factors
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Photographic Science
- Mathematics (Calculus)
- Operations Research
- Industrial Cost Control
- Production Control
Potential Careers For Graduates of Industrial Engineering:
Graduates who earn their master’s in Industrial Engineering could pursue careers as:
Industrial Engineers. An industrial engineer is someone who designs, develops, tests, and evaluates integrated systems for managing industrial production processes. This can include human work factors, quality control, inventory control, logistics, material flow, cost analysis, and production coordination[iii]. Some of the important qualities of an industrial engineer include creativity, critical-thinking, being a good communicator and listener, having strong problem solving and math skills, as well as possessing good writing skills[iv].
- Architectural and Engineering Managers: Plan, coordinate, and direct activities in architectural and engineering companies. Many professionals in this field gain business management skills by completing a master’s degree program in engineering management (MEM or MsEM) or technology management or an MBA before or after advancement[v]
- Electrical and Electronics Engineers: Design, develop, test and supervise the manufacturing of electrical equipment such as electric motors, radar and navigation systems, communications systems and power generation equipment. Electrical and Electronics engineers will likely experience job growth in computer systems design[vi]
- Health and Safety Engineers: Develop procedures and design systems to prevent people from getting sick or injured and to keep property from being damaged. A master’s degree allows students to enter the occupation at a higher level, according to the BLS[vii]
- Industrial Production Managers: Oversee the daily operations of manufacturing and related plants. Many Industrial Production managers have and MBA or a graduate degree in industrial management[viii]
- Logisticians: Analyze and coordinate an organization’s supply chain. Employment of logisticians is projected to grow 22% from 2012-2022[ix]
Ready to pursue your Online Masters in Industrial Engineering?
Perhaps you are drawn to enrolling in online masters in industrial engineering because you are currently a professional in the field who wants to update technical or administrative skill-sets. Or maybe you are interested in learning how to solve problems encountered in product manufacturing, designing a financial system, optimizing the organization of a corporation.
Why not begin searching through the different online industrial engineering degree program options on the GradSchools.com site to get help finding one that corresponds to your academic and occupational goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/industrial-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [ii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering | [iii] bls.gov/oes/current/oes172112.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/industrial-engineers.htm#tab-4 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/management/architectural-and-engineering-managers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/health-and-safety-engineers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/management/industrial-production-managers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/logisticians.htm
Established in 1990, the Manufacturing Engineering Distance Learning Program (DLP) at Boston University brings outstanding faculty members, relevant c...
Engineering management is the art and science of planning, organizing, allocating resources, and directing and controlling acti...