Milwaukee Masters in Gerontology On Campus Degree Programs
Masters in Gerontology On Campus Degree Information
The study of gerontology deals directly with aging populations and the sociological, physiological, and psychological effects the elderly have on the world around them. The goal of many of these types of programs is to better serve the aging population and address concerns in healthcare and public policy affected by the elderly. Earning a Masters in Gerontology on campus may be a great idea for students who might benefit from individual attention from professors and physical access to campus resources such as libraries and technology.
Potential Coursework in Masters in Gerontology On Campus Programs
Courses in a masters in gerontology on campus program are widely varied. This is one reason why a gerontology degree might be viewed as a concentration in its own right. There are courses that may be suitable for those who are hoping to pursue a career in healthcare, social work, and even public policy. Students may come across introductory courses to the topic as well as advanced courses regarding health and wellness of aging populations and changes in society.
Many universities offer courses that may help students concentrate in a specific area of the field. Some programs might require the completion of either a thesis or master’s project before the degree may be awarded at graduation. In these cases, research courses and thesis hours might also be included in curriculum requirements.
Important Skills and Qualities for Masters in Gerontology On Campus Students
Different career fields may require slightly different skills and qualities, but it certainly takes a unique individual to work in gerontology in any capacity. Some common qualities and skills that people who work with or around an aging population may benefit from include:
- Being Detail-Oriented – Having strict attention to detail is beneficial for
- most graduate studies. This skill may also be useful in career fields related to the care of the elderly, particularly in healthcare.
- Critical Thinking – There are many different complex issues in sociological, psychological, and physiological fields that require the ability to think thoroughly through to a solution. Critical thinking skills may also assist with research when completing a thesis or project.
- Problem Solving – While many problems may not have clear-cut answers, being able to work through to a solution is an important skill that may carry over from graduate school to a professional career. In addition to being able to solve issues by oneself, it may be beneficial to understand how to work collaboratively with different individuals to come with a suitable solution to problems that benefit a community as a whole.
- Communication – Clearly giving instructions and communicating ideas is essential in many different career fields, but it is particularly important where the health of others is concerned.
- Organization – Along with attention to detail, having thorough organization systems and being able to stay on task is important in health care, the public sector, and social work. Developing an organization system may also help students to stay on track to complete their courses as well as thesis or project work.
- Listening – The ability to listen carefully is a skill that should be honed while in graduate school. Listening skills allow students to better learn and understand the topics they are studying. Listening is also important when working with the elderly, as it is important for concerns and information to be heard in order to better serve and meet their needs.
Earning a Masters in Gerontology on campus provides many students with direct access to campus resources including professors, computers, and libraries. Earning a campus based master of gerontology degree might help prepare students to pursue career opportunities in a wide variety of industries. Individuals who enjoy working with the elderly and plan on pursuing advanced education in healthcare, public policy, or social work might also benefit from earning this type of graduate degree.