Master's in Gerontology Degrees
Masters in Gerontology Degree Information
A Masters in Gerontology examines the biological, social, psychological, epidemiological, and psychological effects the aging population has on communities and policies affecting the public. This type of degree may serve as an enhancement to undergraduate or graduate studies related to public service. Gerontology is an interesting field of study that examines the relationships of individuals aged 65 years and older on the world around them. In many universities, this type of degree is viewed as a concentration, although coursework may allow for a complete degree in this field to be earned on its own.
Popular Areas of Research in Masters in Gerontology Programs
With a steadily aging population around the world, gerontology studies have grown in both popularity and demand. While many master’s programs focus on introducing the subject matter of gerontology and research methodology in preparation for a thesis or project that may be required, there are a variety of other areas related to the field that many students enjoy studying. These include social, biological, health, and psychological effects of aging.
In programs where a thesis is required, students may conduct research in one of these four areas. Although the degree may stand on its own, it might also benefit as a supplement to other degrees in sociology, biology, psychology, and medicine with a focus on serving the aging population. Focused study on the elderly may be particularly popular for those individuals interested in pursuing a doctoral degree in the field of medicine.
Skills and Qualities of Masters in Gerontology Students
It takes a unique person with a specific set of characteristics to desire to and successful work with the elderly. There are a variety of qualities and skills that may be necessary in order to qualify for a
successful career. Some of these skills and qualities that may benefit individuals working with the elderly include:
- Patience – Aging populations have specific needs and perform activities at a different speed than younger generations are used to. Those who work in geriatrics should have patience when it comes to speech and physical activity.
- Organization – Be it keeping track of medications or managing a special diet, individuals working directly with the elderly should be able to stay on top of tasks and perform them in an orderly manner.
- Listening – No matter if it’s listening to the elderly speak or learning about policies affecting the aging population, listening is a vital skill for almost any career.
- Communication – It’s important for social workers, healthcare workers, and care managers to communicate instructions to their charges as well as to doctors and professionals in a position to directly help the elderly.
- Attention to Detail – Many workers in fields related to gerontology are charged with specific tasks from preparing meals to exercise routines. An attention to detail to fulfill needs and track progress may be useful.
- Problem Solving – From thinking up policies to assist the aging population to addressing direct health problems, gerontology workers should be quick on their feet to think and resolve issues as they appear.
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data – Whether working in the healthcare industry or a civic position, the ability to analyze and interpret data is an important skill from which many gerontology-related careers may benefit.
Gerontology-Related Potential Career Paths
Earning a master’s degree may help many individuals to qualify for to pursue a variety of potential career opportunities in a number of different fields. Some positions may offer direct access to aging populations while other careers handle the elderly in a more indirect way. Here are a few popular career choices that deal directly with the elderly and may benefit from a master’s degree in gerontology:
- Social Workers – Aging has many different effects on an individual. Sometimes simply coping with physical decline and losing more and more loved ones to age-related causes necessitates mental healthcare through a therapist. Social workers may help the elderly with issues related to depression, dementia, and other ailments that come with age.
- Care Managers – As individuals get older, they may require more assistance in doing seemingly simple everyday tasks. Some may require constant companionship for their safety and emotional wellbeing. Care managers offer assistance through a variety of services such as meal preparation, bathing assistance, transportation, and errand services.
- Healthcare – Medical care is necessary for people of all ages. Focusing on geriatrics allows healthcare workers to assist a very specific portion of the population. The elderly are often in need of medication and medical devices to assist them in getting around.
While a Masters in Gerontology may be earned on its own, this type of degree is often viewed as a concentration in the wider field of study of public service. One thing that is for certain is that the aging population is quickly growing, which means there is high demand for careers related to the care of the elderly. Whether studying it as a supplement to a doctoral degree or just to satiate a personal interest, earning a degree in gerontology may present a variety of potential career opportunities in the not-too-distant future.
Seton Hall University
The online M.S.N., A.G.N.P. from Seton Hall University builds the skills graduates need to serve adolescent to elderly populations as a nurse practitioner in acute care or primary care settings. Students prepare for the AANPCB exam and graduate ready...
Purdue University Global
Combine your current nursing skills with training in the safe, effective practice of primary care for the management of acute and chronic health problems of adult patients. As a student in this population focus area, you will participate in a clinical p...
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Cedar Falls, IA
- Davenport, IA
- Des Moines, IA
- Augusta, ME
- Hagerstown, MD
- Indianapolis, IN
- Lewiston, ME
- Lincoln, NE
- Mason City, IA
- Omaha, NE
- Rockville, MD
- South Portland, ME
- Saint Louis, MO
- Milwaukee, WI
California State University, Northridge
Want to empower disabled individuals to live more fulfilling lives? The online MS Assistive Technology Studies and Human Services program was created to form assistive technology specialists who'll ensure AT users benefit fully from advances in the field.
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
University of Maryland Baltimore County
Unique combination of Business, Policy, and Aging Studies. 16-month Hybrid Masters program.
- Muncie, INMuncie, IN
Ball State University
A 30 hour degree program that allows maximum flexibility for areas of interest, time schedules, and diversity of students.
- Nottingham, United KingdomNottingham, United Kingdom
University of Nottingham
- Youngstown, OHYoungstown, OH
Youngstown State University
- Long Beach, CALong Beach, CA
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB has offered a gerontology certificate program for over 30 years, having recognized early the need for the study of aging by university students. CSULB is one of only a handful of CSU campuses to offer a Mas...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Northeastern Illinois University
M.A. in Gerontology is to contributes to the quality of life of older adults through education, research and community service.
- Oxford, OHOxford, OH
Miami University offers both a Master of Gerontological Studies degree and a Ph.D. in Social Gerontology. These programs focus and build on three rich traditions of gerontology at Miami University: the multidisciplinary approach characteristic of...
- Westminster, MDWestminster, MD
The Master of Science program in Gerontology provides you with a rich interdisciplinary knowledge base that prepares, supports, and enhances your ability to fulfill leadership roles in the public and private sectors when gerontology knowledge and...
- Westminster, MD
- Morehead, KYMorehead, KY
Morehead State University
The Master of Arts in sociology allows options in three areas: general sociology, criminology and gerontology. All options require basic courses in th...
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United KingdomNewcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- Ames, IAAmes, IA
Iowa State University
Internet-based gerontology curriculum. Program content is based on Standards and Guidelines for Gerontology Programs. 36-credit master's degree or a 21-credit graduate certificate.
- Westerville, OHWesterville, OH
The Master of Science in Nursing(MSN)Program provides the baccalaureate nurse an opportunity to synthesize knowledge and develop skills for advanced nursing practice, teaching, management and research. There are four majors: Nursing Service Administrati...
- Mankato, MNMankato, MN
Minnesota State University - Mankato
- Rijnsburg, NetherlandsRijnsburg, Netherlands
Leyden Academy on Vitality and Ageing
For pioneers in the medical care of tomorrow.
- Utica, SCUtica, SC
SUNY Polytechnic Institute
The Gerontological Nurse Practitioner Program is designed to prepare expert advanced practice primary care clinicians to the elderly in primary care settings. The program builds on the undergraduate foundation and develops advanced assessment, planning...
- Wales, United KingdomWales, United Kingdom
The programme acknowledges that ageing is accompanied by biological changes, but takes a holistic approach to ageing...
- La Verne, CALa Verne, CA
University of La Verne
The graduate program in Gerontology is multidisciplinary and views the training of gerontology professionals from an integrative and developmental perspective. The master's degree program requires 36 semester hours, with 12 semester hours in one of t...
- Ewing, NJEwing, NJ
College of New Jersey, The
The MSN program is fully accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission. The MSN program offers three options: Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult Nurse Practitioner and a variation in the Family Nurse Practitioner option for BSN-prep...
- Jonesboro, ARJonesboro, AR
Arkansas State University
- Kassel, GermanyKassel, Germany
Universität Gesamthochschule Kassel
Language of Instruction is German, some courses are held in English.