San Diego Masters in ESL Schools & Campus TESOL Masters Degree Programs
Are you drawn towards learning about other cultures and inspired by the idea of pursing a potential career as an educator? Would you enjoy teaching English to non-English speakers? Do you visualize exploring potential career opportunities with a certain population, such as adults or school-age children? Does the idea of pursuing a career overseas interest you? Earning a degree from Masters in ESL Schools might appeal to you if you are drawn to language, literacy, linguistics and communication.
Masters in ESL/TESOL schools may help graduates develop skills that may create interesting potential teaching opportunities both in the US and abroad. A Masters in ESL might help graduates build a foundation to teach others whose first language is not English how to read, write, and speak the language. TESOL Masters programs may teach you to how to formulate lesson plans, instruct to diverse groups, find the most effective methods of teaching English, and to assess your students. It might be fulfilling to help motivate, educate and provide tools to non-native English speakers who would otherwise not be able to communicate in a foreign language.
You may find it useful to browse through all available ESL and TESOL Master’s Degree programs to check the different program sequencing, certification, and licensing. It might also be helpful to verify the admission and course requirements in each school’s program outlines.
FACT: ESL refers to English as a Second Language, and TESOL refers to Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages.
Is a campus-based Masters in ESL/TESOL for me?
Are you someone who has always dreamed about having a traditional college campus experience?
Some students prefer studying amongst others, being able to interact with professors, and create new networks. A nice potential advantage to searching for masters in ESL schools that offer campus based programs is that you may have access to all the university amenities, whether language labs, libraries, social services or athletic facilities. Some students may find that it is easier to study in community with classmates. Some programs may even cater to the working student by offering classes in the evening or later in the day.
What kind of courses Will I Take at Masters in ESL Schools?
The curriculum and number of classes can vary from program to program, and depend on whether you are intending to specialize. For instance, some students may focus on teaching adults, while others may want to teach K-12 age groups. Typically, one can expect that courses in the ESL curriculum are designed to introduce the student to language development, the psychology of learning, and the effective construction of learning materials. Some of the subjects you might study if enrolled in a Masters in ESL or a Masters in TESOL might involve courses in:
- Areas of Applied Linguistics
- Foundations in ESL
- TESOL Methodology
- Language Assessment and Evaluation
- Second Language Acquisition
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- TESOL Research Methods
- Computer-Assisted Language Learning in TESOL
- Composition Theory and Rhetoric
- Literacy/Reading Theory and Practice
Programs may include a capstone project, an internship, or a thesis
TIPS: Take some time to determine whether you wish to pursue a career in The United States or overseas. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for English teachers is the strongest in, but not limited to, Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. Also, are you drawn to teaching adults, or more interested in teaching to school age children? Beginning with a clear goal in mind can help narrow down your job search, and also, focus your studies to help prepare you to achieve your goals.
Potential Career Paths for ESL/TESOL Program Graduates
- Adult Literacy /High School Equivalency Diploma Teacher: instructs adults in reading, writing, and speaking English. They also help their students earn their high school diplomas. Some employment opportunities may exist in community colleges, and public schools.
- Career and Technical Education Teachers: instruct students in various technical and vocational subjects, such as auto repair, healthcare, and culinary arts. They teach academic and technical content to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to enter an occupation.
- High School Teachers: help prepare students for life after graduation. They teach academic lessons and various skills that students will need to attend college and to enter the job market.
- Middle School Teachers: work in public and private colleges and universities, professional schools, junior or community colleges, and career and vocational schools. Outside of class time, their schedules are generally flexible, and they may spend that time in administrative, student advising, and research activities.
Some areas that graduates with a Masters in ESL/TESOL may potentially identify employment opportunities in are:
- Community classes or language schools
- Private schools
- Junior colleges
- Businesses and corporations
- Academic advising or coaching
- Research and or textbook writing
Thinking of pursuing career opportunities abroad?
While minimum requirements sometimes include expert-level fluency in English and bachelor’s degree in any subject; positions in colleges and universities might require a master’s in teaching or linguistics.
A helpful resource for graduates as they evaluate different vocational options in this exciting field is the TESOL website: http://www.tesol.org/
Choosing the Best Masters in ESL School for You
While studying for your Master’s degree can be a lot of hard work, it can also be a challenge that pays off, rewarding you personally and professionally. If you would find it fulfilling to help others communicate in a new language, then a Master in ESL /TESOL could potentially help you pursue different career paths.
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
San Diego State University
IEC - Intensive English Communications is for students and professionals who want to improve their practical communication skills in English. Students...
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
Alliant International University
The Graduate School of Education at Alliant International University (AIU) offers a Master of Arts in Education with a concentration in TESOL, an Ed.