The TESOL Certification Program (TCCP) is an online training program that lasts 130 hours and was created to provide students with a foundation in the theory and practice of ESL teaching. The program is designed to provide individuals who are attempting to enhance their credentials as ESL teachers with a summary of the core knowledge of the field.
Students have the option to choose an adult education or child education track for the program, depending on their career goals. TCCP may be a great option for professionals or prospective teachers who want to fit their education into their busy personal and work schedules because the courses are online and can be completed in only 6-11 months.
To earn the TESOL Core Certificate, you must successfully fullfill the following requirements:
- One 60-hour online foundation course on the fundamentals of TESOL
- One 60-hour online specialty course
- One 10-hour professional development requirement
TESOL Certification Requirements
The TESOL International Association set up a set of learning standards and best practices initiatives for ESL teachers around the world to help improve effectiveness in the field. For more in-depth information on the standards please visit the TESOL website at www.tesol.org.
PreK-12 English Language Proficiency Standards: These standards serve as a starting point for creating effective and equitable education for ESL students.
Technology Standards: These standards focus on how ESL teachers and administrators should use technology in and outside of the classroom.
TESOL/CAEP Standards for P-12 Teacher Education Programs: These standards address the need for consistency in how ESL teachers in the U.S. are prepared to practice in K-12 schools.
Standards for Adult Education: This includes standards for ESL/EFL Teachers of Adults, Adult ESL Language and Literary Instruction and Standards for Adult Education ESL Programs.
TESOL Guidelines for Developing EFL Professional Teaching Standards: These guidelines were created to help anyone responsible for developing English as a foreign language professional teaching standards.
TESOL Advanced Practitioner Certificate
The TESOL Advanced Practitioner Certificate is a pilot program designed for practicing ESL teachers who want to gain more expertise and knowledge in the field. The program is self-paced and you have one year to complete it once you are accepted. Once you’ve completed the requirements you’ll receive an Advanced Practitioner TESOL Certificate.
Graduates of the program should:
- Be able to design and use syllabi and lesson plans
- Gain an in-depth understanding of their area of expertise
- Be able to implement effective teaching strategies based on the latest research
- Contribute to the TESOL body of knowledge by publishing or presenting to others
In order to qualify for the Advanced Practitioner TESOL Certificate program you must first:
- Have knowledge of TESOL principles demonstrated by a related degree in the field or a certificate in TESOL teaching
- Complete a university degree program
- Currently teach ESL or EFL
- Demonstrate a minimum of two years of experience in the field
- Complete the application and essay questions
- Provide two letters of recommendation
- Complete a phone interview if necessary
If you’re already a practicing ESL or EFL teacher who is looking to gain more-in depth knowledge in your area of expertise, pursing an Advanced Practitioner TESOL Certificate could be a good option for you—and may be appealing to potential employers.
1. tesol.org/attend-and-learn/certificate-leadership-programs/tesol-core-certificate-program | 2. tesol.org/advance-the-field/standards | 3. tesol.org/attend-and-learn/certificate-leadership-programs/tesol-certificate-advanced-practitioner