Masters in School Counseling Programs
Masters In School Counseling Programs and Degrees General Info
Graduate students with a passion for education and counseling might find that enrolling in a School Counseling Masters program may prepare for a specialized career. School counselors help students of different ages develop the social skills to succeed in school, and typically, must be credentialed, which most often requires a Master’s degree[i]. School psychologists also need an advanced degree and certification or licensure to work.[ii]
As a field, school psychology applies the principles of educational, developmental, clinical and community psychology with applied behavior analysis to meet the learning needs of children and adolescents. School psychologists are educated in psychology, along with child and adolescent development and psychopathology.
Masters in School Counseling programs teach students about fostering academic development; conducting group and individual counseling; and working with parents, teachers, and other school staff. These programs often require students to gain experience through an internship or practicum.[iii]
GradSchools.com makes it easy to find a School Counseling Masters Program. You can begin with a location search to determine where these programs are offered; use the city, state or country tabs, then browse the listings. Refine this search be deciding on the program format. You may want to look into campus-based programs if the traditional college experience is appealing to you. Busy adults and currently working professionals may find that a distance-learning format better suits their needs. If so, check out Online Masters in School Counseling programs or the hybrid format that combines the flexibility of online courses with low residency on-campus courses. Aside from general School Counseling Masters programs, some of the programs that might
interest you may include: Master in College Counseling, M.A. in Counseling in Educational Settings, M.A. in School Psychology, or M.S. in School Counseling- Addictions Counseling.
- School psychology dates back to the beginning of American psychology in the late 19th and early 20th centuries[iv]
- Lightner Witmer has been acknowledged as the founder of school psychology[v]
Potential Curriculum In School Counseling Masters Programs
Coursework for School Counseling Masters programs may vary depending on the school, the learning format or school counseling degree specialization. School counselors need to know[vi]:
- Psychology: human behavior and performance, learning and motivations, research and treatment methods as well as personality and affective disorders
- Therapy and Counseling: principles, methods and procedures for diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation
- Education and training: principles and processes for designing curricula, teaching instruction and measurement of results
- Customer care: principles and processes for assessing client needs and providing customer service
Students earning a Masters in School Counseling Degree may explore subjects that might include:
- Group counseling, individual counseling
- Special issues in school counseling
- Psychopathology and psychopharmacology
- Child and adolescent counseling
- Human growth and development
Explore a Career as a School Counselor
Working in School Counseling typically involves different duties, and may vary depending on whether one is working with elementary, middle school, high school, or college age students. Some of the responsibilities of School Counselors involve:[vii]
· Helping students understand and overcome social or behavioral problems through individual and group counseling
· Providing individual and small group counseling based on student needs
· Working with students to develop skills, such as organization, time management, and effective study habits
· Assisting students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them
· Evaluating students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments, interviews, and individual planning
· Collaborating with teachers, administrators, and parents to help students succeed
· Delivering classroom guidance lessons on topics, such as bullying, drug abuse, and planning for college or careers after graduation
· Identifying and report possible cases of neglect or abuse
· Referring students and parents to resources outside the school for additional support
What you should know about School Counseling Licensing, Certifications and Registrations[viii]:
· Public school counselors must have a state-issued credential to practice, which may be called a certification, a license, or an endorsement, depending on the state.
· Licensure or certification typically requires a master’s degree in school counseling and an internship or practicum completed under the supervision of a licensed professional school counselor.
· Some states require applicants to have 1 to 2 years of classroom teaching experience or to hold a teaching license, prior to being certified. Other states allow full-time teaching experience to be substituted, in lieu of the internship requirement.
· Most states require a criminal background check, as part of the credentialing process.
- Information about requirements for each state is available from the American School Counselor Association.
Wages and Job Outlook For professionals in School Counseling:
The 2012 Median pay for school counselors was $53,610 annually and the employment rate of school counselors is predicted to grow 12% between 2012 and 2022, due to rising student enrollments, which are expected to increase the demand for professionals to respond to the needs of new students[ix]. The industries with the highest levels of employment in this occupation are[x]:
- Elementary and secondary schools
- Colleges, universities, professional schools
- Junior colleges
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Individual and family services
Ready To Search For A Masters In School Counseling Program?
If you have a compassionate disposition, are able to listen well and communicate effectively, you have some of the important qualities of a School Counselor. Why not put your talents and your keen interests in counseling together? Start reviewing Masters in School Counseling programs on GradSchools.com to find the School Counseling Degree that matches your educational goals and professional aspirations!
Sources: [i] .bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-4 | [iv] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_psychology | [v] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_psychology | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1012.00 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-2 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-4 | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-6 | [x] bls.gov/oes/current/oes211012.htm
- Lubbock, TXLubbock, TX
Texas Tech University
Students may choose either the Master's Degree Program in Community Counseling or in School Counseling; or the non-degree Certification Program in School Counseling. Course requirements of these programs are located later in this guide.Master of Educ...
- Boston, MABoston, MA
The school counseling degree seeks to prepare counselors who can contribute meaningfully to the personal, academic and career lives of the students they serve. This is achieved through engendering core skills, developing practical knowledge, and providi...
- Watson, AustraliaWatson, Australia
Australian Catholic University
- Slippery Rock, PASlippery Rock, PA
Slippery Rock University
The Master of Education Degree in School Counseling is a 51 credit hour program that is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). The program leads to Pennsylvania licensure as a Professiona...
- Orlando, FLOrlando, FL
University of Central Florida
Counselor Education offers two degree programs: Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling. The Mental Health Counseling program prepares students for licensure in mental health counseling and leads to a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree. For PhD:This tr...
- Seattle, WASeattle, WA
Seattle Pacific University
This campus-based educationally-focused school counseling program allows potential students to earn their master's and/or doctoral degrees as well as a K-12 school counseling certification.
- Cedar Falls, IACedar Falls, IA
University of Northern Iowa
Program is designed for students who plan to counsel in school settings at the elementary and/orsecondary level.
- Saint Charles, MOSaint Charles, MO
The various programs leading to a Master of Arts in Professional and School Counseling are designed to prepare master's level counseling practitioners. They provide students with a broad base of psychological knowledge and theory, and integrate these wi...
- Conway, ARConway, AR
University of Central Arkansas
Courses in counseling are designed to (1) provide the student with competencies necessary to develop and manage counseling programs, (2) meet counseli...
- Springfield, MASpringfield, MA
School counseling is a field which draws compassionate, caring people to support today's youth. The need for trained, skilled counselors who can provide a variety of services while adding to the development of students from diverse backgrounds will cont...
- Weatherford, OKWeatherford, OK
Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- Hammond, LAHammond, LA
Southeastern Louisiana University
- Orange, CAOrange, CA
A cohort based program that can either be completed in two years full-time, or three years part-time, the School Counseling program prepares students to work as counselors in schools, from grades K-12. The program prepares graduates for work in variety...
- Fort Wayne, INFort Wayne, IN
University of Saint Francis
The MSED in School Counseling is designed to prepare students to function as professional school counselors.
- Rohnert Park, CARohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University
- Cork, IrelandCork, Ireland
University College Cork
- Ottawa, ONOttawa, ON
University of Ottawa
Masters Degree in Education specialising in Educational Counseling. The Faculty offers courses in English, in French, and in both languages.
- Saint Bonaventure, NYSaint Bonaventure, NY
St. Bonaventure University
Designed for individuals who wish to serve as counselors in K-12 settings. The program provides extended research-based knowledge in the areas of group and individual counseling, counseling techniques, testing and diagnosis, and school counseling issues...
- Saint Bonaventure, NY
- Jefferson City, TNJefferson City, TN
The overall goal of the MEd degree in the School Counseling program is to provide a sequence of experiences whit allows a person with a baccalaureate...
- Bellingham, WABellingham, WA
Western Washington University
Graduate study in the M.Ed. School Counseling Program at Western Washington University prepares students to provide professional counseling services i...
- Honolulu, HIHonolulu, HI
University of Hawaii At Manoa
- Iowa City, IAIowa City, IA
University of Iowa
The School Counseling Program at the University of Iowa is designed for people who are interested in counseling children and adolescents within a school setting. The School Counseling Program recognizes that school counselors work with students in a var...