Masters in School Counseling Programs
Masters In School Counseling Programs and Degrees General Info
Graduate students with a passion for education and counseling might find that enrolling in a School Counseling Masters program may prepare for a specialized career. School counselors help students of different ages develop the social skills to succeed in school, and typically, must be credentialed, which most often requires a Master’s degree[i]. School psychologists also need an advanced degree and certification or licensure to work.[ii]
As a field, school psychology applies the principles of educational, developmental, clinical and community psychology with applied behavior analysis to meet the learning needs of children and adolescents. School psychologists are educated in psychology, along with child and adolescent development and psychopathology.
Masters in School Counseling programs teach students about fostering academic development; conducting group and individual counseling; and working with parents, teachers, and other school staff. These programs often require students to gain experience through an internship or practicum.[iii]
GradSchools.com makes it easy to find a School Counseling Masters Program. You can begin with a location search to determine where these programs are offered; use the city, state or country tabs, then browse the listings. Refine this search be deciding on the program format. You may want to look into campus-based programs if the traditional college experience is appealing to you. Busy adults and currently working professionals may find that a distance-learning format better suits their needs. If so, check out Online Masters in School Counseling programs or the hybrid format that combines the flexibility of online courses with low residency on-campus courses. Aside from general School Counseling Masters programs, some of the programs that might interest you may
include: Master in College Counseling, M.A. in Counseling in Educational Settings, M.A. in School Psychology, or M.S. in School Counseling- Addictions Counseling.
- School psychology dates back to the beginning of American psychology in the late 19th and early 20th centuries[iv]
- Lightner Witmer has been acknowledged as the founder of school psychology[v]
Potential Curriculum In School Counseling Masters Programs
Coursework for School Counseling Masters programs may vary depending on the school, the learning format or school counseling degree specialization. School counselors need to know[vi]:
- Psychology: human behavior and performance, learning and motivations, research and treatment methods as well as personality and affective disorders
- Therapy and Counseling: principles, methods and procedures for diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation
- Education and training: principles and processes for designing curricula, teaching instruction and measurement of results
- Customer care: principles and processes for assessing client needs and providing customer service
Students earning a Masters in School Counseling Degree may explore subjects that might include:
- Group counseling, individual counseling
- Special issues in school counseling
- Psychopathology and psychopharmacology
- Child and adolescent counseling
- Human growth and development
Explore a Career as a School Counselor
Working in School Counseling typically involves different duties, and may vary depending on whether one is working with elementary, middle school, high school, or college age students. Some of the responsibilities of School Counselors involve:[vii]
· Helping students understand and overcome social or behavioral problems through individual and group counseling
· Providing individual and small group counseling based on student needs
· Working with students to develop skills, such as organization, time management, and effective study habits
· Assisting students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them
· Evaluating students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments, interviews, and individual planning
· Collaborating with teachers, administrators, and parents to help students succeed
· Delivering classroom guidance lessons on topics, such as bullying, drug abuse, and planning for college or careers after graduation
· Identifying and report possible cases of neglect or abuse
· Referring students and parents to resources outside the school for additional support
What you should know about School Counseling Licensing, Certifications and Registrations[viii]:
· Public school counselors must have a state-issued credential to practice, which may be called a certification, a license, or an endorsement, depending on the state.
· Licensure or certification typically requires a master’s degree in school counseling and an internship or practicum completed under the supervision of a licensed professional school counselor.
· Some states require applicants to have 1 to 2 years of classroom teaching experience or to hold a teaching license, prior to being certified. Other states allow full-time teaching experience to be substituted, in lieu of the internship requirement.
· Most states require a criminal background check, as part of the credentialing process.
- Information about requirements for each state is available from the American School Counselor Association.
Wages and Job Outlook For professionals in School Counseling:
The 2012 Median pay for school counselors was $53,610 annually and the employment rate of school counselors is predicted to grow 12% between 2012 and 2022, due to rising student enrollments, which are expected to increase the demand for professionals to respond to the needs of new students[ix]. The industries with the highest levels of employment in this occupation are[x]:
- Elementary and secondary schools
- Colleges, universities, professional schools
- Junior colleges
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Individual and family services
Ready To Search For A Masters In School Counseling Program?
If you have a compassionate disposition, are able to listen well and communicate effectively, you have some of the important qualities of a School Counselor. Why not put your talents and your keen interests in counseling together? Start reviewing Masters in School Counseling programs on GradSchools.com to find the School Counseling Degree that matches your educational goals and professional aspirations!
Sources: [i] .bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-4 | [iv] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_psychology | [v] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_psychology | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1012.00 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-2 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-4 | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm#tab-6 | [x] bls.gov/oes/current/oes211012.htm
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
Loyola University Maryland
Loyola's graduate program in school counseling prepares students to effectively serve and lead in pre K-12 settings. Steeped in the Jesuit tradition, the Loyola school counseling program, its faculty, and its curricular experiences inspire and transform...
The George Washington University
The School Counseling program is dedicated to the preparation of students to become knowledgeable and ethical counseling professionals for employment as school counselors in public and private schools and related educational settings for diverse populat...
- Louisville, KYLouisville, KY
University of Louisville
Areas of concentration: Counseling Psychology; Elementary School Counseling; Secondary School Counseling;Student Personnel Services.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
- Eugene, OREugene, OR
Northwest Christian College
- Cleveland, OHCleveland, OH
John Carroll University
The School Counseling Program is a master's degree program for those educators wishing to serve as school guidance counselors.
- Orangeburg, SCOrangeburg, SC
South Carolina State University
- San Juan, PRSan Juan, PR
University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras Campus
- Lubbock, TXLubbock, TX
Texas Tech University
Students may choose either the Master's Degree Program in Community Counseling or in School Counseling; or the non-degree Certification Program in School Counseling. Course requirements of these programs are located later in this guide.Master of Educ...
- Boston, MABoston, MA
The school counseling degree seeks to prepare counselors who can contribute meaningfully to the personal, academic and career lives of the students they serve. This is achieved through engendering core skills, developing practical knowledge, and providi...
- Grahamstown, South AfricaGrahamstown, South Africa
A thorough understanding of the major approaches to guidance and counselling, as well as competent practical ability in these fields.
- Weatherford, OKWeatherford, OK
Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- Thibodaux, LAThibodaux, LA
Nicholls State University
Thirty-seven hour program which prepares a student to be a school counselor, K-12.
- Fort Worth, TXFort Worth, TX
Texas Wesleyan University
The Master of Science in School Counseling is designed to prepare students to become licensed school counselors. The program consists of thirty-nine credit hours and a minimum of 150 practicum hours. Courses are offered during the day in the summer a...
- Nampa, IDNampa, ID
Northwest Nazarene University
The Northwest Nazarene University School Counseling emphasis area is designed to prepare the individual to plan and deliver a comprehensive school cou...
- Flagstaff, AZFlagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University
Program prepares professional school counselors, through classroom instruction, fieldwork experience, practica and internships,...
- Moraga, CAMoraga, CA
St. Mary's College Of California
The Graduate Counseling Program School Counseling (PPS) Emphasis is designed for people who wish to work with K-12 students. We also offer a School Psychology Emphasis for students wishing to earn their MA degree and PPS credential to become a School Ps...
- Prince George, BCPrince George, BC
University of Northern British Columbia
- Oakland, CAOakland, CA
Lincoln University (CA)
Counselor education is a graduate-level preparation for prospective counselors who seek employment in school guidance, student personnel services in h...
- Pikeville, KYPikeville, KY
The Appalachian Graduate Consortium operates through a formal agreement between Morehead State University and Pikeville College that brings Morehead e...
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University
The program is designed to prepare individuals to perform counseling services in schools at all grade levels.
- Bozeman, MTBozeman, MT
Montana State University - Bozeman
MSU offers a two-year, CACREP-accredited school counseling program that emphasizes and enhances student growth and...
- Superior, WISuperior, WI
University of Wisconsin - Superior
School Counseling, Clinical Mental Health, Marriage and Family Therapy Counseling.