Social Media Masters & eCommerce MBA programs in Seattle
The Importance of E-Commerce and Social Media in Today’s Business World
The business landscape has changed dramatically with the arrival of e-commerce and social media. The rise of online shopping and the ubiquity of social media platforms have transformed the way businesses operate and interact with their customers. As a result, professionals with e-commerce and social media skills may be important to businesses of all sizes.
Why Businesses Need Professionals with E-Commerce and Social Media Skills
Businesses may need professionals with e-commerce and social media skills to help them meet the demand for digital experiences. Today, many consumers opt to shop and engage with brands online. Skilled professionals could help businesses create and execute effective digital marketing strategies, increase their audience size, improve customer engagement, and drive sales. By keeping up with digital trends, businesses could remain competitive in the marketplace.
The Growth and Impact of E-Commerce and Social Media on Business
E-commerce and social media have had a significant impact on business growth in recent years. With the ability to reach a global audience through digital platforms, businesses can now expand their customer base and potentially generate more revenue . Businesses may also see new opportunities to reduce operational costs, since they could now use new channels to achieve wide reach without relying as much on brick-and-mortar stores, traditional advertising, and other expenses that were once obligatory.
E-commerce continues to grow year over year. According to the Census Bureau of the Department of Commerce, U.S. retail e-commerce sales for the first quarter of 2023 were an estimated 7.8 percent higher than sales from the first quarter of 2022.1 In addition, social platforms remain an important way to reach the public, with the majority of people in the U.S. using some form of social media.
In short, these new technologies and business practices are here to stay, making it essential for companies to keep on top of the latest developments. Hiring professionals with the skills to navigate ever-evolving e-commerce and social media platforms will likely be a priority for the foreseeable future.
For example, the Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates that employment for advertising and promotions managers will grow 6% from 2022 to 2032, a rate that is faster than average,2 and that demand for these workers is expected to be concentrated in industries that use digital media campaigns to target customers.
Choosing an Online Degree Program
Especially for prospective digital pioneers, studying online might be a great way to earn an MBA. For one, it may be easier to juggle your studies along with your other responsibilities. For two, digital platforms are helping to make online learning as seamless and engaging as possible. That said, choosing an MBA program is a personal decision. Consider the following points to help you decide what matters most to you in your grad school search.
5 Factors to Consider When Choosing an E-Commerce or Social Media MBA Program
As you search for the perfect e-commerce or social media MBA program, consider these five key factors:
- Accreditation. When choosing an MBA program, look for an accredited school. Accreditation is carried out by third-party agencies that evaluate educational institutions based on a set of criteria. When a school achieves accreditation, students can be confident that the institution meets important quality standards.
- Curriculum. Look for an MBA program offering coursework relevant to your interests and goals. Want to learn more about e-commerce supply chains or how to use data to understand and market to various social media audiences? Compare programs to find a curriculum that covers what you want to know—and what gets you excited to learn!
- Faculty. Having a great teacher could make all the difference in your success. When comparing MBA programs, take the time to learn more about your prospective professors, including their professional backgrounds and research interests. You may discover a potential mentor.
- Flexibility. Many prospective MBA students work full-time, which could make it tough to pursue a traditional degree program. Fortunately, some MBA programs offer flexible options. For instance, some graduate schools offer an executive MBA (EMBA) designed for working professionals. EMBA programs may feature evening or weekend classes, as well as online or hybrid learning options.
- Reputation. Your prospective school and program’s reputation in your field could impact the value of earning your degree there. Look for a program with a good standing, respected faculty, and a strong track record of graduate success.
What to Look for in an Online E-Commerce or Social Media MBA Program
Along with the above general criteria, you may want to factor in these additional considerations for choosing an online MBA program:
- Opportunities to gain experience — Many students may choose online MBA programs because they find it flexible and convenient to take courses remotely. But be sure you aren’t spending all your time in a virtual classroom. Programs that offer chances to gain practical experience through opportunities such as internships and capstone projects could help you put theory into practice.
- Industry partnerships — Your MBA program may be virtual, but it could also have real-world connections. Look for a program with ties to businesses and professional organizations in your industry. These partnerships could potentially unlock learning opportunities, offer the chance to network, and even help you pursue your job prospects after graduation.
- Student life — When evaluating online MBA programs, ask what opportunities are available to help remote learners feel connected and part of the graduate school community. In-person meetups, student groups, and virtual events may be of interest to you—and could lead to rewarding friendships and professional connections.
Enhancing Your Career with an E-Commerce or Social Media Master’s Degree
Whether you’re looking to jumpstart a new career path or learn new skills to help you move up in your current role, earning an e-commerce or social media master’s degree could be a smart move. Here’s why you should consider earning an advanced degree.
Career Opportunities and Salaries for Professionals with E-Commerce or Social Media Master’s Degrees
The skills and concepts you may learn in a social media or e-commerce master’s program could have applications in business, marketing, and related fields.
For instance, earning a master’s degree in social media could be useful in the following career paths:
- Public Relations Specialist
- Median annual salary, 20223: $67,440
- Public Relations Manager
- Median annual salary, 20224: $129,430
- Advertising and Promotions Manager
- Median annual salary, 20225: $127,830
Earning a master’s degree in e-commerce could be useful in these roles:
- Market Research Analyst
- Median annual salary, 20226: $68,230
- General and Operations Manager
- Median annual salary, 20227: $98,100
- Marketing Manager
- Median annual salary, 20228: $140,040
- And more!
How an E-Commerce or Social Media Master’s Degree Could Enhance Your Career Prospects
Earning a master’s degree in e-commerce or social media could help you learn higher-level knowledge and skills that may be sought after in today’s digital-first world. These programs typically cover topics such as marketing, e-commerce technologies , using online marketing channels, evaluating metrics and data , and a lot more. By enhancing your knowledge in these and other key areas, you could be an asset to businesses looking to strengthen their e-commerce or social media strategies.
Additionally, earning a master’s degree could help you earn a higher salary. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2022 workers with a master’s degree earned an annual median salary of $86,372 per year — that’s $74,464 more per year than the annual median salary for bachelor’s degree holders.9 With an e-commerce or social media master’s degree under your belt, you might be a great candidate to pursue roles you find professionally and financially rewarding.
Popular Schools with Schools with eCommerce & Social Media Masters Programs in Seattle
GradSchools.com offers Graduate Schools with eCommerce & social media Masters Degree in Seattle
Sources: 1https://www.census.gov/retail/mrts/www/data/pdf/ec_current.pdf | 2https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm#tab-6 | 3https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes273031.htm | 4https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes112032.htm | 5https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes112011.htm | 6https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes131161.htm | 7https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes111021.htm | 8https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes112021.htm | 9https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm
Based on national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Accessed 6/22/2023.