West Virginia Online Masters in Computer Science Degrees and Programs
Are you interested in technology? Are you seeking a master’s degree in a rapidly evolving field? If so, an online masters in computer science degree might be an excellent fit for you. Computer Science is the practical and scientific approach to computation and its applications, which are continually developing.
New trends in computer science to watch: Growth in cloud computing, cybersecurity, and mobile networks will increase demand for workers with computer systems, information technology, and computer programming skills[i].
The world has become increasingly driven by data, and institutions, businesses and organizations continue to integrate and utilize more and more sophisticated computer-based technologies into their products and infrastructures. As a result, the need for individuals specializing in computer science continues to evolve, and computer scientists might pursue careers in a range of computer related fields[ii]. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, due to the growth in cybersecurity, cloud computing and mobile networks, the demand for employees with IT or computer programming skills is increasing rapidly[i].
Online masters in computer science degrees might help prepare students with the technical skills and advanced knowledge necessary to become the next generation of innovators and leaders in the field. Some programs, like an MBA in Applied Computer Science, are designed to help students develop key management and administration skills that might help prepare students to enhance their careers in business leadership.
- Employment of computer and information research scientists is projected to grow 15% from 2012 to 2022, which is faster than average for all occupations[ii].
- Employment of computer systems analysts is projected to grow 25% from 2012 to 2022, which is faster than average for all occupations[i]
- Earning an MS in computer science is an important step. Most jobs for computer and information research scientist require a Ph.D. in computer science or related field[ii]
- Blaise Pascal designed and constructed the first working mechanical calculator in 1642[iii]
Potential Benefits to Earning an Online Masters in Computer Science Degree
If you are a working professional looking to update your academic education in a way that may help prepare you to pursue a variety of potential career options, or need the flexibility to study on your own timeline, an online masters computer science degree might be a good option for you. Since you attend classes online instead of commuting to class, this might be a more convenient learning format. All you need is a computer and Internet connection. The latest digital tools keep you connected to classmates and professors via online forums, group projects and email threads, so you still interact with others so it does give you a sense of the campus experience.
TIPS: Making sure you have a good chair and proper lighting can help you from over straining your eyes, wrists, hands, and shoulders. You can expect to sit for long hours in front of a computer screen! An ergonomically designed keyboard is a plus!
Online Masters in Computer Science Programs Curriculum
Computer Science graduate programs are typically designed to give a broad understanding of computer technologies, solid problem-solving, sharp analytical and critical-thinking skills. Others may offer some information about communication or managerial skills for the student who is interested in business dynamics and technical education.
While core courses vary from school to school, some of the subjects that students might expect to learn in a Master of Science in Computer Science graduate program might include subjects such as:
- Database and data mining
- Theoretical computing concepts
- Applied computer science
- Algorithms, programming
- Logical reasoning / computational thinking skills
- Operating systems
- Computer system architecture
- Software system engineering
- Cyber security
- Cloud computing
Potential Career Paths For Computer Science Graduates
There are a variety of potential career paths that graduates who earn masters in computer science may pursue, depending on level of education and experience as well as any area of specialized focus, whether creative, analytical or administrative. Some of these career paths might include:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists: invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology. They also study and solve complex problems in computing for business, medicine, science, and other related fields[ii]
- Computer and Information Systems Managers: often called IT managers (Information Technology) or IT project managers, they plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization. They also help to determine and implement the information technology goals of an organization[iv].
- Computer Hardware Engineers: research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks and routers. By creating new directions in computer hardware, these engineers create rapid advances in computer technology[v]
- Computer Network Architects: design and build communication networks including intranets, LANs (local area networks) and WANs (wide area networks)[vi]
- Computer Systems Analysts: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently and effectively. They bring business and IT together by understanding the needs and limitations of both[vii].
- Database Administrators: DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information, and make sure this is both accessible to users and safe from unauthorized access[viii]
Find Online Masters in Computer Science in West Virginia
The field of computer science might be a rewarding academic path and great preparation that may prepare you to pursue potential career options. Whether you are interested in data, technology, problem-solving or business, look into online computer science master degree programs on GradSchools.com to find the one that matches your interests.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [iii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm
Roger Williams UniversityM.S. Cybersecurity