United States Online Masters in Computer Science Degrees and Programs
Online Masters in Computer Science Degrees and Program General Info
Are you interested in technology? Are you seeking a master’s degree in a rapidly evolving field? If so, an online masters in computer science degree might be an excellent fit for you. Computer Science is the practical and scientific approach to computation and its applications, which are continually developing.
New trends in computer science to watch: Growth in cloud computing, cybersecurity, and mobile networks will increase demand for workers with computer systems, information technology, and computer programming skills[i].
The world has become increasingly driven by data, and institutions, businesses and organizations continue to integrate and utilize more and more sophisticated computer-based technologies into their products and infrastructures. As a result, the need for individuals specializing in computer science continues to evolve, and computer scientists might pursue careers in a range of computer related fields[ii]. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, due to the growth in cybersecurity, cloud computing and mobile networks, the demand for employees with IT or computer programming skills is increasing rapidly[i].
Online masters in computer science degrees might help prepare students with the technical skills and advanced knowledge necessary to become the next generation of innovators and leaders in the field. Some programs, like an MBA in Applied Computer Science, are designed to help students develop key management and administration skills that might help prepare students to enhance their careers in business leadership.
- Employment of computer and information research scientists is projected to grow 15% from 2012 to 2022, which is faster than average for all occupations[ii].
- Employment of computer systems analysts is projected to grow 25% from 2012
- to 2022, which is faster than average for all occupations[i]
- Earning an MS in computer science is an important step. Most jobs for computer and information research scientist require a Ph.D. in computer science or related field[ii]
- Blaise Pascal designed and constructed the first working mechanical calculator in 1642[iii]
Potential Benefits to Earning an Online Masters in Computer Science Degree
If you are a working professional looking to update your academic education in a way that may help prepare you to pursue a variety of potential career options, or need the flexibility to study on your own timeline, an online masters computer science degree might be a good option for you. Since you attend classes online instead of commuting to class, this might be a more convenient learning format. All you need is a computer and Internet connection. The latest digital tools keep you connected to classmates and professors via online forums, group projects and email threads, so you still interact with others so it does give you a sense of the campus experience.
TIPS: Making sure you have a good chair and proper lighting can help you from overstraining your eyes, wrists, hands, and shoulders. You can expect to sit for long hours in front of a computer screen! An ergonomically designed keyboard is a plus!
Online Masters in Computer Science Programs Curriculum
Computer Science graduate programs are typically designed to give a broad understanding of computer technologies, solid problem-solving, sharp analytical and critical-thinking skills. Others may offer some information about communication or managerial skills for the student who is interested in business dynamics and technical education.
While core courses vary from school to school, some of the subjects that students might expect to learn in a Master of Science in Computer Science graduate program might include subjects such as:
- Database and data mining
- Theoretical computing concepts
- Applied computer science
- Algorithms, programming
- Logical reasoning / computational thinking skills
- Operating systems
- Computer system architecture
- Software system engineering
- Cyber security
- Cloud computing
Potential Career Paths For Computer Science Graduates
There are a variety of potential career paths that graduates who earn masters in computer science may pursue, depending on level of education and experience as well as any area of specialized focus, whether creative, analytical or administrative. Some of these career paths might include:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists: invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology. They also study and solve complex problems in computing for business, medicine, science, and other related fields[ii]
- Computer and Information Systems Managers: often called IT managers (Information Technology) or IT project managers, they plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization. They also help to determine and implement the information technology goals of an organization[iv].
- Computer Hardware Engineers: research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks and routers. By creating new directions in computer hardware, these engineers create rapid advances in computer technology[v]
- Computer Network Architects: design and build communication networks including intranets, LANs (local area networks) and WANs (wide area networks)[vi]
- Computer Systems Analysts: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently and effectively. They bring business and IT together by understanding the needs and limitations of both[vii].
- Database Administrators: DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information, and make sure this is both accessible to users and safe from unauthorized access[viii]
Ready to pursue your online masters in computer science?
The field of computer science might be a rewarding academic path and great preparation that may prepare you to pursue potential career options. Whether you are interested in data, technology, problem-solving or business, look into online computer science master degree programs on GradSchools.com to find the one that matches your interests.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [iii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm
Shape the science of technology with Lewis University’s online Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS) program.
Roger Williams University
This cutting edge program is offered fully online and is available to students with or without formal technical background.
Providing a broad base of understanding of the foundational technology in any information system, NCU’s Computer Science specialization helps students understand how computers function and communicate from the inside out.
Colorado Technical University
Pursue an MS in Computer Science-general concentration. 2017 is the third year that CTU’s online Master of Science in Computer Science degree programs were ranked among the Best Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report.1...
University of Colorado - Boulder
While many CU-Boulder computer science alumni are employed with some of the world’s most recognizable computer science firms, increasingly more are entering into the aerospace industry, financial services, and national...
Sam Houston State University
Gain hands-on experience working with high-profile, sensitive, and classified projects.
Master of Science in Computer Science is for individuals with backgrounds and experience who wish to extend their understanding and competency in comp...
Kennesaw State University
A premium cohort-based program that can be attended live on campus or entirely at a distance. Includes many program premiums for students: laptop, PDA...
American College of Computer and Information Sciences
The M.S. program provides a fundamental understanding of theoretical and applied computer science, which will allow the student to begin exploring spe...
A graduate level course being offered off-campus through the Graduate Outreach Program is recorded in our classroom/studios while the on campus class...
Illinois Institute of Technology
The study of computer science is the inquiry into the nature of computation and its use in solving problems in an information-based society. Computer science is an evolving discipline, but it has a well-defined core of knowledge and a set of characteris...
Jacksonville State University
The Department of Mathematical, Computing and Information Sciences offers the Master of Science (MS) .......
Oklahoma State University
With OneNet, these programs may be available on a much broader basis.
Hofstra University's Master of Science in Computer Science degree can be completed online, in person, or hybrid.
Mississippi State University
University of Louisville
Advance your career with a Master of Science in Computer Science degree 100% online...
University of Maine
The Graduate School of Biomedical Science & Engineering (GSBSE) has developed a new online graduate program in bioinformatics.
University of Maryland University College
UMUC's Master of Science in Information Technology Program is designed for those who are called upon to develop, implement,...
University of Idaho
The computer science graduate program develops the student's critical thinking, investigatory, and expository skills.
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
This option allows individuals to earn a Master of Computer Science degree from a leader in information technology entirely online with no required ca...
Florida Institute of Technology
This program offers a student the opportunity to pursue advanced studies in various areas of computer science. The program is designed for students with bachelor’s degrees in computer science and provides a solid preparation for those who may pursue a d...