Online Masters Programs in Computer Science
Are you interested in technology? Are you seeking a master’s degree in a rapidly evolving field? If so, an online masters in computer science degree might be an excellent fit for you. Computer Science is the practical and scientific approach to computation and its applications, which are continually developing.
New trends in computer science to watch: Growth in cloud computing, cybersecurity, and mobile networks will increase demand for workers with computer systems, information technology, and computer programming skills (BLS).
The world has become increasingly driven by data, and institutions, businesses and organizations continue to integrate and utilize more and more sophisticated computer-based technologies into their products and infrastructures. As a result, the need for individuals specializing in computer science continues to evolve, and computer scientists might pursue careers in a range of computer related fields (BLS). In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, due to the growth in cybersecurity, cloud computing and mobile networks, the demand for employees with IT or computer programming skills is increasing rapidly.
Online masters in computer science degrees might help prepare students with the technical skills and advanced knowledge necessary to become the next generation of innovators and leaders in the field. Some programs, like an MBA in Applied Computer Science, are designed to help students develop key management and administration skills that might help prepare students to enhance their careers in business leadership.
What does a masters in computer science teach?
Students completing a master’s degree in computer science may learn technical skills as well as more insights into the field of computer science. Often, at this level, there is a focus on the latest technology and innovations in the field. It may include management and administration skill courses as well.
What can a person with a master in computer science do?
With a master’s degree in computer science individuals may be able to work in managerial positions in computer and information systems. They may also work as software developers, computer systems analysts, information security analysts, or computer network architects.
Is a computer science masters useful?
Many people benefit from completing a graduate program in computer science. This type of educational path allows students to focus their education in areas that interest them the most. It may also prepare them for new innovations and help them to become leaders in their organizations or careers if they apply the skills taught in a master’s program.
Graduate schools with Computer Science masters programs online
- Employment of computer and information research scientists is projected to grow 22% from 2020 to 2030, which is much faster than average for all occupations according to BLS.gov.
- Employment of computer systems analysts is projected to grow 7% from 2020 to 2030, which is as fast as the average for all occupations according to BLS.gov.
- Earning an MS in computer science is an important step. Most jobs for computer and information research scientist require a Ph.D. in computer science or related field[ii]
- Blaise Pascal designed and constructed the first working mechanical calculator in 1642[iii]
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
Potential Benefits to Earning an Online Masters in Computer Science Degree
If you are a working professional looking to update your academic education in a way that may help prepare you to pursue a variety of potential career options, or need the flexibility to study on your own timeline, an online masters computer science degree might be a good option for you. Since you attend classes online instead of commuting to class, this might be a more convenient learning format. All you need is a computer and Internet connection. The latest digital tools keep you connected to classmates and professors via online forums, group projects and email threads, so you still interact with others so it does give you a sense of the campus experience.
TIPS: Making sure you have a good chair and proper lighting can help you from over straining your eyes, wrists, hands, and shoulders. You can expect to sit for long hours in front of a computer screen! An ergonomically designed keyboard is a plus!
Online Masters in Computer Science Programs Curriculum
Computer Science graduate programs are typically designed to give a broad understanding of computer technologies, solid problem-solving, sharp analytical and critical-thinking skills. Others may offer some information about communication or managerial skills for the student who is interested in business dynamics and technical education.
While core courses vary from school to school, some of the subjects that students might expect to learn in a Master of Science in Computer Science graduate program might include subjects such as:
- Database and data mining
- Theoretical computing concepts
- Applied computer science
- Algorithms, programming
- Logical reasoning / computational thinking skills
- Operating systems
- Computer system architecture
- Software system engineering
- Cyber security
- Cloud computing
Potential Career Paths For Computer Science Graduates
There are a variety of potential career paths that graduates who earn masters in computer science may pursue, depending on level of education and experience as well as any area of specialized focus, whether creative, analytical or administrative. Some of these career paths might include:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists: invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology. They also study and solve complex problems in computing for business, medicine, science, and other related fields[ii]
- Computer and Information Systems Managers: often called IT managers (Information Technology) or IT project managers, they plan, coordinate and direct computer-related activities in an organization. They also help to determine and implement the information technology goals of an organization[iv].
- Computer Hardware Engineers: research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks and routers. By creating new directions in computer hardware, these engineers create rapid advances in computer technology[v]
- Computer Network Architects: design and build communication networks including intranets, LANs (local area networks) and WANs (wide area networks)[vi]
- Computer Systems Analysts: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently and effectively. They bring business and IT together by understanding the needs and limitations of both[vii].
- Database Administrators: DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information, and make sure this is both accessible to users and safe from unauthorized access[viii]
Find Online Masters in Computer Science
The field of computer science might be a rewarding academic path and great preparation that may prepare you to pursue potential career options. Whether you are interested in data, technology, problem-solving or business, look into online computer science master degree programs on GradSchools.com to find the one that matches your interests.
|Metro Area||Annual Mean Salary||Employment|
|San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA||$188,190||11,950|
|San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA||$178,740||13,280|
|New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA||$175,670||32,100|
GradSchools.com offers 54 Graduate Schools with Online master’s programs in Computer Science
Grand Canyon University
Pennsylvania State University
American College of Computer and Information Sciences
Arizona State University
Jacksonville State University
Rochester Institute of Technology
Johns Hopkins University
Florida Institute of Technology