Masters in Chemical Engineering Graduate Programs
Masters in Chemical Engineering Degree Information
Graduate students with a keen interest in physical sciences, life sciences and mathematics might find that enrolling in a Chemical Engineering Masters Program may prepare them for a variety of career paths, including as professional Chemical Engineers, who are employed in a number of industries. The field's broad application to so many industries provides a graduate with opportunities to pursue work in almost any field of interest. The products of chemical engineering range from artificial organs to our toothpaste and makeup, to our clothing and the fuel we use to drive around.
Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physics and chemistry (physical sciences) and microbiology and biochemistry (life sciences) combined with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy. Essentially, chemical engineers design large-scale processes that convert chemicals, raw materials, living cells, microorganisms and energy into useful forms and products[i].
GradSchools.com makes it easy to search fro Chemical Engineering Schools. Begin with a location search to determine where you can study; use the city, state or country tabs. Then refine your results depending on the type of program format that suits your needs. You can study on campus, look into an online masters chemical engineering degree program, or choose the hybrid format that combines on-campus and online courses in chemical engineering.
Masters in Chemical Engineering programs, such as the MS Chemical Engineering should, according to the BLS, be accredited by ABET. ABET-accredited programs in chemical engineering include courses in chemistry, physics, and biology. These programs also include applying the sciences to the design, analysis, and control of
chemical, physical, and biological processes[ii].
DID YOU KNOW?
Starting from 1888, Lewis Norton taught at MIT the first chemical engineering course in the United States[i].
Chemical engineers must be aware of all aspects in the manufacturing of chemicals, drugs, or other products. They must also understand how the manufacturing process affects the environment and the safety of workers and consumers[iii].
Explore A Career As A Chemical Engineer
Earning a Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may help prepare students to pursue career as a Chemical Engineer. The industries with the highest levels of employment in this industry in this occupation include; Architectural, Engineering and related services, Basic chemical manufacturing, Scientific research and development services, Petroleum and coal products manufacturing, Resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing.
- Education: Chemical Engineers must have a bachelor’s degree for entry-level jobs. Earning a graduate degree, which may include a degree up to the Ph.D. level, allows an engineer to pursue career paths in research and development, or in academia as a post-secondary teacher[ii].
- Job Duties: Chemical engineers apply the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and math to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food, and many other products. They also design processes and equipment for large-scale safe and sustainable manufacturing, plan and test methods of manufacturing products and treating byproducts, and supervise production[iv].
- Some chemical engineers specialize in a particular process, such as oxidation, polymerization, or in a certain field, such as nanomaterials, biological engineering, or in the development of specific products. Others work in producing electricity, electronics, food, clothing and paper. Research in life sciences, biotechnology, and business services is another direction that some chemical engineers might pursue[iii].
- The 2015 median pay for Chemical Engineers was $97,360[vi].
- Job Outlook: is 2% growth between 2014 and 2024[vii]. Employment growth will be maintained by the ability of chemical engineers to stay up to date with new and emerging technologies. Additionally, according to the BLS, chemical engineering is also migrating into new fields, such as nanotechnology, alternative energies, and biotechnology, which will help to sustain demand for engineering services in many manufacturing industries[viii].
Ready to Pursue a Masters in Chemical Engineering?
Whether you are interested in manufacturing, research and development, teaching, or another aspect of this broad field, earning your Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may be the start to an interesting career. Use the search tools on GradSchools.com to determine which program matches your academic and vocational interests!
Sources: [i] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_engineering | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [iv] bls.gov/oes/current/oes172041.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-1 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-6
- Kingston, NSKingston, NS
Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
We offer you the opportunity to explore your research interests in collaboration with acclaimed scientists in our department, across Queen’s and at other institutions. You will work in world-class, locally-based research facilities including the Fuel Ce...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Lewisburg, PALewisburg, PA
Candidates for a master's degree in chemical engineering must complete a program of study which consists of four required core...
- Tempe, AZTempe, AZ
Arizona State University
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology
The objective of the Master of Chemical Engineering degree program is to prepare the student for professional practice in their major discipline and to provide a foundation in the fundamental knowledge of their major. The objective of the Master of...
- Montreal, QCMontreal, QC
Thesis projects are undertaken in the areas of polymer engineering, biochemical engineering, plasmaprocessing, pulp and paper engineering, chemical reaction engineering, process control, thermodynamics,and separation processes. In collaboration with the...
- Princeton, NJPrinceton, NJ
The Ph.D. program emphasizes independent research, with a grounding in advanced coursework. Our Ph.D. program is tailored to prepare students for careers as their interests dictate; our alumni can be found on the faculty of universities across the count...
- Riverdale, CARiverdale, CA
Manhattan CollegeUpcoming Start Date: May 13, 2019
Manhattan College, with the cooperation and financial assistance of the chemical process industries in the Northeastregion, has offered a unique, Desi...
- Louisville, KYLouisville, KY
University of Louisville
- Huntsville, ALHuntsville, AL
University of Alabama - Huntsville
Chemical Engg program offers grad students opportunities for advanced work in processes, reaction engg, electro-chemical systems...
- Providence, RIProvidence, RI
Heat and mass transfer; coherent structures and mixing enhancement; non-Newtonian fluids;materials processing; biomechanics and artificial organs; mul...
- Glassboro, NJGlassboro, NJ
- Wales, United KingdomWales, United Kingdom
his course is built upon the wide range of research in chemical engineering at Swansea University...
- East Lansing, MIEast Lansing, MI
Michigan State University
We offer graduate programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering. There are currently about 81 graduate students working toward advanced degrees in the department...
- Greensboro, NCGreensboro, NC
North Carolina A&T State University
- Irvine, CAIrvine, CA
University of California, Irvine
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Program Areas of Emphasis: Biotechnology and Molecular Engineering - protein expression; metabolic engineering; bioreactor engineering; protein engineering; cell and tissue engineering; biomaterials; colloids; a...
- Ruston, LARuston, LA
Louisiana Tech University
- Hamilton, ONHamilton, ON
- Ottawa, ONOttawa, ON
University of Ottawa
- Lubbock, TXLubbock, TX
Texas Tech University
We believe that we offer a top quality graduate chemical engineering education with an outstanding balance of both theory and practice. Our professors average nine years of full time industrial experience, and have also established national research rec...
- Storrs Mansfield, CTStorrs Mansfield, CT
University of Connecticut
Study and research programs leading to the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Science in chemical engineering are offered. Areas of special interest include: environmental engineering, electrochemical engineering, biochemical engineering...
- Erlangen, GermanyErlangen, Germany
University of Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Fredericton, NBFredericton, NB
University of New Brunswick - Fredericton