Masters in Chemical Engineering Graduate Programs
Masters in Chemical Engineering Degree Information
Graduate students with a keen interest in physical sciences, life sciences and mathematics might find that enrolling in a Chemical Engineering Masters Program may prepare them for a variety of career paths, including as professional Chemical Engineers, who are employed in a number of industries. The field's broad application to so many industries provides a graduate with opportunities to pursue work in almost any field of interest. The products of chemical engineering range from artificial organs to our toothpaste and makeup, to our clothing and the fuel we use to drive around.
Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physics and chemistry (physical sciences) and microbiology and biochemistry (life sciences) combined with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy. Essentially, chemical engineers design large-scale processes that convert chemicals, raw materials, living cells, microorganisms and energy into useful forms and products[i].
GradSchools.com makes it easy to search fro Chemical Engineering Schools. Begin with a location search to determine where you can study; use the city, state or country tabs. Then refine your results depending on the type of program format that suits your needs. You can study on campus, look into an online masters chemical engineering degree program, or choose the hybrid format that combines on-campus and online courses in chemical engineering.
Masters in Chemical Engineering programs, such as the MS Chemical Engineering should, according to the BLS, be accredited by ABET. ABET-accredited programs in chemical engineering include courses in chemistry, physics, and biology. These programs also include applying the sciences to the design, analysis, and control of chemical, physical, and
DID YOU KNOW?
Starting from 1888, Lewis Norton taught at MIT the first chemical engineering course in the United States[i].
Chemical engineers must be aware of all aspects in the manufacturing of chemicals, drugs, or other products. They must also understand how the manufacturing process affects the environment and the safety of workers and consumers[iii].
Explore A Career As A Chemical Engineer
Earning a Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may help prepare students to pursue career as a Chemical Engineer. The industries with the highest levels of employment in this industry in this occupation include; Architectural, Engineering and related services, Basic chemical manufacturing, Scientific research and development services, Petroleum and coal products manufacturing, Resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing.
- Education: Chemical Engineers must have a bachelor’s degree for entry-level jobs. Earning a graduate degree, which may include a degree up to the Ph.D. level, allows an engineer to pursue career paths in research and development, or in academia as a post-secondary teacher[ii].
- Job Duties: Chemical engineers apply the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and math to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food, and many other products. They also design processes and equipment for large-scale safe and sustainable manufacturing, plan and test methods of manufacturing products and treating byproducts, and supervise production[iv].
- Some chemical engineers specialize in a particular process, such as oxidation, polymerization, or in a certain field, such as nanomaterials, biological engineering, or in the development of specific products. Others work in producing electricity, electronics, food, clothing and paper. Research in life sciences, biotechnology, and business services is another direction that some chemical engineers might pursue[iii].
- The 2015 median pay for Chemical Engineers was $97,360[vi].
- Job Outlook: is 2% growth between 2014 and 2024[vii]. Employment growth will be maintained by the ability of chemical engineers to stay up to date with new and emerging technologies. Additionally, according to the BLS, chemical engineering is also migrating into new fields, such as nanotechnology, alternative energies, and biotechnology, which will help to sustain demand for engineering services in many manufacturing industries[viii].
Ready to Pursue a Masters in Chemical Engineering?
Whether you are interested in manufacturing, research and development, teaching, or another aspect of this broad field, earning your Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may be the start to an interesting career. Use the search tools on GradSchools.com to determine which program matches your academic and vocational interests!
Sources: [i] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_engineering | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [iv] bls.gov/oes/current/oes172041.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-1 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-6
- San Luis Obispo, CASan Luis Obispo, CA
California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo
Chemistry - Polymers & Coatings
The Master's in Polymers and Coatings builds on a foundation in organic chemistry at is relates to the formulation and application of polymer coatings.
- Singapore, SingaporeSingapore, Singapore
National University of Singapore
The Faculty has over 200 academic staff, all with Ph.Ds and overseas training at major universities, to support these programs. Excellent computing and laboratory facilities are also available. Presently, there are more than 1000 students pursuing their...
- Istanbul, TurkeyIstanbul, Turkey
The best graduate chemical engineering program in the country, with strong emphasis on research.
- Irbid, JordanIrbid, Jordan
Jordan University of Science and Technology
- Linkoping, SwedenLinkoping, Sweden
- Sao Paulo, BrazilSao Paulo, Brazil
Universidade de SÃo Paulo
- Busan, KoreaBusan, Korea
Pusan National University
- Tempe, AZTempe, AZ
Arizona State University
- Beijing, ChinaBeijing, China
- Tuscaloosa, ALTuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama
- Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Full-time, Course work with research leading to Master's and Doctoral Degrees in Chemical Engineering...
- Istanbul, TurkeyIstanbul, Turkey
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Chemical and Biological Engineering...
- Lake Charles, LALake Charles, LA
Mcneese State University
- Montreal, QCMontreal, QC
Thesis projects are undertaken in the areas of polymer engineering, biochemical engineering, plasmaprocessing, pulp and paper engineering, chemical reaction engineering, process control, thermodynamics,and separation processes. In collaboration with the...
- Budapest, HungaryBudapest, Hungary
Budapest University of Technology and Economics
Engineering Programs in English. Our university holds an international reputation for excellence in engineering education. It attracts professors and...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Lewisburg, PALewisburg, PA
Candidates for a master's degree in chemical engineering must complete a program of study which consists of four required core...
- Ames, IAAmes, IA
Iowa State University
A revolution is underway in biotechnology and medicine, and Iowa State's Department of Chemical Engineering is leading the charge. At Iowa State, you'll work hand-in-hand with expert faculty to achieve breakthroughs in nanotechnology, reactor design, an...
- Osaka, JapanOsaka, Japan
Osaka Prefecture University
- Terre Haute, INTerre Haute, IN
Rose - Hulman Institute Of Technology
51 quarter-hours with a grade of C or better in each course, with a minimum graduate grade point average of 3.0/4.0. Thesis required; final oral exam...
- Trondheim, NorwayTrondheim, Norway
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
The MSc in Industrial Ecology aims to provide candidates with interdisciplinary, theoretical and methodological skills to apply Industrial Ecology on different scales (society, sector, company, products/services) to increase environmental and economic p...
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
The Department offers advanced courses in the traditional core areas, as well as in specialized fields such as: air pollution control engineering, bio...