Masters in Chemical Engineering Graduate Programs in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Masters in Chemical Engineering Degree Information
Graduate students with a keen interest in physical sciences, life sciences and mathematics might find that enrolling in a Chemical Engineering Masters Program may prepare them for a variety of career paths, including as professional Chemical Engineers, who are employed in a number of industries. The field’s broad application to so many industries provides a graduate with opportunities to pursue work in almost any field of interest. The products of chemical engineering range from artificial organs to our toothpaste and makeup, to our clothing and the fuel we use to drive around.
Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physics and chemistry (physical sciences) and microbiology and biochemistry (life sciences) combined with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy. Essentially, chemical engineers design large-scale processes that convert chemicals, raw materials, living cells, microorganisms and energy into useful forms and products[i].
GradSchools.com makes it easy to search for Chemical Engineering Schools. Begin with a location search to determine where you can study; use the city, state or country tabs. Then refine your results depending on the type of program format that suits your needs. You can study on campus, look into an online masters chemical engineering degree program, or choose the hybrid format that combines on-campus and online courses in chemical engineering.
Masters in Chemical Engineering programs, such as the MS Chemical Engineering should, according to the BLS, be accredited by ABET. ABET-accredited programs in chemical engineering include courses in chemistry, physics, and biology. These programs also include applying the sciences to the design, analysis, and control of chemical, physical, and biological processes[ii].
DID YOU KNOW?
Starting from 1888, Lewis Norton taught at MIT the first chemical engineering course in the United States[i].
Chemical engineers must be aware of all aspects in the manufacturing of chemicals, drugs, or other products. They must also understand how the manufacturing process affects the environment and the safety of workers and consumers[iii].
Explore A Career As A Chemical Engineer in Salt Lake City
Earning a Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may help prepare students to pursue career as a Chemical Engineer. The industries with the highest levels of employment in this industry in this occupation include; Architectural, Engineering and related services, Basic chemical manufacturing, Scientific research and development services, Petroleum and coal products manufacturing, Resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing.
- Education: Chemical Engineers must have a bachelor’s degree for entry-level jobs. Earning a graduate degree, which may include a degree up to the Ph.D. level, allows an engineer to pursue career paths in research and development, or in academia as a post-secondary teacher[ii].
- Job Duties: Chemical engineers apply the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and math to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food, and many other products. They also design processes and equipment for large-scale safe and sustainable manufacturing, plan and test methods of manufacturing products and treating byproducts, and supervise production[iv].
- Some chemical engineers specialize in a particular process, such as oxidation, polymerization, or in a certain field, such as nanomaterials, biological engineering, or in the development of specific products. Others work in producing electricity, electronics, food, clothing and paper. Research in life sciences, biotechnology, and business services is another direction that some chemical engineers might pursue[iii].
- The 2015 median pay for Chemical Engineers was $97,360[vi].
- Job Outlook: is 2% growth between 2014 and 2024[vii]. Employment growth will be maintained by the ability of chemical engineers to stay up to date with new and emerging technologies. Additionally, according to the BLS, chemical engineering is also migrating into new fields, such as nanotechnology, alternative energies, and biotechnology, which will help to sustain demand for engineering services in many manufacturing industries[viii].
Ready to Pursue a Masters in Chemical Engineering?
Whether you are interested in manufacturing, research and development, teaching, or another aspect of this broad field, earning your Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may be the start to an interesting career. Use the search tools on GradSchools.com to determine which program matches your academic and vocational interests!
Sources: [i] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_engineering | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [iv] bls.gov/oes/current/oes172041.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-1 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-6
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
Schools with Masters in Chemical Engineering Graduate Programs in Salt Lake City
|Chemical Engineering – Master||Brigham Young University||MCE|