Masters in Chemical Engineering Graduate Programs
Masters in Chemical Engineering Degree Information
Graduate students with a keen interest in physical sciences, life sciences and mathematics might find that enrolling in a Chemical Engineering Masters Program may prepare them for a variety of career paths, including as professional Chemical Engineers, who are employed in a number of industries. The field's broad application to so many industries provides a graduate with opportunities to pursue work in almost any field of interest. The products of chemical engineering range from artificial organs to our toothpaste and makeup, to our clothing and the fuel we use to drive around.
Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physics and chemistry (physical sciences) and microbiology and biochemistry (life sciences) combined with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy. Essentially, chemical engineers design large-scale processes that convert chemicals, raw materials, living cells, microorganisms and energy into useful forms and products[i].
GradSchools.com makes it easy to search fro Chemical Engineering Schools. Begin with a location search to determine where you can study; use the city, state or country tabs. Then refine your results depending on the type of program format that suits your needs. You can study on campus, look into an online masters chemical engineering degree program, or choose the hybrid format that combines on-campus and online courses in chemical engineering.
Masters in Chemical Engineering programs, such as the MS Chemical Engineering should, according to the BLS, be accredited by ABET. ABET-accredited programs in chemical engineering include courses in chemistry, physics, and biology. These programs also include applying the sciences to the design, analysis, and control of
chemical, physical, and biological processes[ii].
DID YOU KNOW?
Starting from 1888, Lewis Norton taught at MIT the first chemical engineering course in the United States[i].
Chemical engineers must be aware of all aspects in the manufacturing of chemicals, drugs, or other products. They must also understand how the manufacturing process affects the environment and the safety of workers and consumers[iii].
Explore A Career As A Chemical Engineer
Earning a Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may help prepare students to pursue career as a Chemical Engineer. The industries with the highest levels of employment in this industry in this occupation include; Architectural, Engineering and related services, Basic chemical manufacturing, Scientific research and development services, Petroleum and coal products manufacturing, Resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing.
- Education: Chemical Engineers must have a bachelor’s degree for entry-level jobs. Earning a graduate degree, which may include a degree up to the Ph.D. level, allows an engineer to pursue career paths in research and development, or in academia as a post-secondary teacher[ii].
- Job Duties: Chemical engineers apply the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and math to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food, and many other products. They also design processes and equipment for large-scale safe and sustainable manufacturing, plan and test methods of manufacturing products and treating byproducts, and supervise production[iv].
- Some chemical engineers specialize in a particular process, such as oxidation, polymerization, or in a certain field, such as nanomaterials, biological engineering, or in the development of specific products. Others work in producing electricity, electronics, food, clothing and paper. Research in life sciences, biotechnology, and business services is another direction that some chemical engineers might pursue[iii].
- The 2015 median pay for Chemical Engineers was $97,360[vi].
- Job Outlook: is 2% growth between 2014 and 2024[vii]. Employment growth will be maintained by the ability of chemical engineers to stay up to date with new and emerging technologies. Additionally, according to the BLS, chemical engineering is also migrating into new fields, such as nanotechnology, alternative energies, and biotechnology, which will help to sustain demand for engineering services in many manufacturing industries[viii].
Ready to Pursue a Masters in Chemical Engineering?
Whether you are interested in manufacturing, research and development, teaching, or another aspect of this broad field, earning your Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering may be the start to an interesting career. Use the search tools on GradSchools.com to determine which program matches your academic and vocational interests!
Sources: [i] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_engineering | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [iv] bls.gov/oes/current/oes172041.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-2 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-1 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-6
- San Luis Obispo, CASan Luis Obispo, CA
California State University, Cal Poly
The Master's in Polymers and Coatings builds on a foundation in organic chemistry at is relates to the formulation and application of polymer coatings.
- Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United KingdomNewcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
This MSc is essentially a conversion course, and is especially appropriate for students who have a degree in either mechanical engineering or other en...
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology
The objective of the Master of Chemical Engineering degree program is to prepare the student for professional practice in their major discipline and to provide a foundation in the fundamental knowledge of their major. The objective of the Master of...
- Sao Paulo, BrazilSao Paulo, Brazil
Universidade de SÃo Paulo
- Syracuse, NYSyracuse, NY
The Master of Science (MS) degree in Chemical Engineering is a flexible and individually-structured program, determined by the..
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
The Department of Chemical Engineering at BYU conducts programs of graduate study leading to master of science (M.S.), and doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees. The M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are research oriented, requiring an original thesis. The focus of...
- Grand Forks, NDGrand Forks, ND
University of North Dakota
The mission of the Chemical Engineering Master of Science program is to prepare chemical engineers for careers in industry, government and doctoral studies in chemical engineering or related fields. This preparation will be customized to meet specific...
- Melbourne, FLMelbourne, FL
Florida Institute of Technology
The objective of the master of science program is to study the basic principles of chemical engineering in greater depth, including transport phenomena, thermodynamics, reactor design and process control. Electives in other areas to broaden the student’...
- Stockholm, SwedenStockholm, Sweden
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Youngstown, OHYoungstown, OH
Youngstown State University
Graduate study in civil engineering and chemical engineering provides students with the scientific and professional knowledge...
- Lincoln, NELincoln, NE
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Provides a balance of expertise between the fundamental areas of chemical engineering (numerical methods, thermodynamics, catalysis, separations, control and design) and the emerging specialties of the discipline (biochemical engineering, polymers and m...
- Elkridge, MDElkridge, MD
Johns Hopkins University
In the past decade, the scope of chemical and biomolecular engineering has expanded dramatically.
- Morgantown, WVMorgantown, WV
West Virginia University
A medium-sized program offering advanced chemical engineering studies in a small, safe rural college community. Emphasis is on applied research of industrial interest.
- Princeton, NJPrinceton, NJ
The Ph.D. program emphasizes independent research, with a grounding in advanced coursework. Our Ph.D. program is tailored to prepare students for careers as their interests dictate; our alumni can be found on the faculty of universities across the count...
- Busan, KoreaBusan, Korea
Pusan National University
- Seoul, KoreaSeoul, Korea
Seoul National University
- Lund, SwedenLund, Sweden
- Riverdale, CARiverdale, CA
Manhattan College, with the cooperation and financial assistance of the chemical process industries in the Northeastregion, has offered a unique, Desi...
- Karlstad, SwedenKarlstad, Sweden
- Seoul, KoreaSeoul, Korea
Kyung Hee University
This Graduate School attempts to develop an atmosphere where industrial workers and managers can learn leading-edge techniques to prepare for leading...