Master's of Business Administration Programs
What is an MBA Degree?
The MBA degree is regarded as a terminal and professional Masters degree in business administration. Commonly abbreviated as M.B.A., the Master's degree in business administration is an internationally recognized business graduate degree.
Many students pursue an MBA to fine tune their skills in preparation for today’s competitive business environment.
Initial MBA programs rose in the 20th century as a response to industrial development. Companies started to seek science-based approaches to management. Today’s MBA programs teach basic business courses, strategy, and team building.
Masters in Business Administration programs cover a wide range of business fields, such as marketing, finance, accounting, business management and more.
How Do I Earn an MBA Degree?
The first step in earning a MBA degree is to earn a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. This does not have to be a business degree. Aside from this, university requirements for MBA degree programs vary. Some business schools look for specific qualities in their future students. Others look at level of management experience. Some possible requirements are listed below.
- Resume and work history
- Post-graduate full-time work experience, and/or internships
- Certified copy of your undergraduate degree, transcripts
- Letters of reference
- GMAT result and graduate school-specific score
- Proficiency in English
- Computer literacy
- Letter of intent and motivation (personal statement)
Why Pursue an MBA Degree?
Many MBA graduates chose to pursue a career in business. However some might want to consider earning a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree. As the highest professional practice degree beyond the Master of Business Administration, it may help individuals distinguish themselves from other MBA graduates, or, establish
further expertise through research and advanced coursework.
We asked Executive Chef of Wednesdays Jenny Dorsey how earning an MBA helped her in business:
My MBA truly showed me what "networking" - the effective, powerful kind - means. I learned how to network and prospect new clients, building my two businesses from the ground up. As the saying goes, people will forget all about what you say and do but they will remember how you made them feel.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, Securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents had the biggest wage premium of any of these occupations: workers who had a master’s degree earned a wage that was nearly 90 percent higher than that for workers with a bachelor’s degree. Many of these sales agents earned a master’s degree in business administration (MBA), which may be required for high-level jobs."
Some common jobs available for those awarded with an MBA:
- Financial Analyst
- Director/VP in Marketing
- Research Analyst
- Corporate Strategy
- Top Executive
- Healthcare Administrator
Popular MBA Graduate Programs
Accelerated, No GMAT Required
Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise Specialization
Non Profit Leadership & Management
Types of MBA Programs
Since not all students can participate in a two-year full-time MBA, business schools have adapted.
- Accelerated MBA programs are a variation on full-time study which may take about one year to complete. They tend to involve more intense class and examination schedules because material is condensed into one year.
- Part time MBA programs are sometimes referred to as "Flexible" MBA programs. Students may have up to six years to complete their degree. Programs generally suit the unique time constraints of on-the-go adults and working students. Courses may be offered in the evenings and/or weekends, depending on the business school.
- Hybrid MBA programs: offer a blended online learning format; campus requirements plus distance education.
- Campus MBA programs: Searching for an MBA program in a specific city, state or country? Earning an MBA degree abroad, especially if you are drawn to international business or finance, might be a great experience. Or search for near-by MBA schools to help build your local network.
- Online MBA programs are offered by online business schools and traditional universities alike. These deliver the required curriculum through web-based courses for increased flexibility and convenience.
- Dual MBA programs are a combination of two degrees. For instance, the JD/MBA or MBA/Nursing.
What is an Executive Masters in Business Administration?
An Executive Masters in Business Administration (EMBA) degree is an MBA for executives. EMBA programs may be accelerated or more flexible. Some schools offer these programs during the evenings or weekends.
What Types of MBA Courses Would I Take?
Many MBA programs focus on a specific concentration. MBA concentration areas are elective courses that tailor the degree to a student’s interest. Or, it can be used to gain extra skills in one domain. These areas differ from school to school, so it is one way of narrowing down what schools you apply to. Sample concentrations are listed below.
- Executive - An Executive Masters in Business Administration (EMBA) degree is an MBA for executives. EMBA programs may be accelerated or more flexible. Some schools offer these programs during the evenings or weekends to accommodate busy schedules.
- General MBA - emphasizes management skills and knowledge designed for relevance in today's business world
- Management - specialization in Management with focuses on leadership, legal compliance and contemporary policy issues
- Finance & Accounting
- Sports Business
- Non Profit Management
MBA Program Accreditation
MBA degree program accreditation by external agencies offers students and employers an independent perspective of the school or program's quality. In addition, it could speak to whether the curriculum meets professional standards. This is an important aspect to consider when choosing an MBA Program. Some examples of the major accrediting bodies in the United States are listed below.
- Association of MBA’s (AMBA): impartial authority of postgraduate management education for MBA, DBA and Master’s degrees
- The European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) is run by the Brussels-based EFMD Management Development Network; EQUIS focuses on institutions that offer undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral business programs, including the MBA
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business - AACSB international
- Accreditation Council for Collegiate Business Schools and Programs –ACBSP
- International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education- IACBE
How Long Does it Take to Earn an MBA Degree?
The traditional MBA degree is a two-year full time program. In many MBA schools, this means four terms, summer breaks and pre-set holidays. However, there are other formats that either speed up or slow down the time to graduation.
How Many Credits for an MBA Degree?
MBA degrees may consist of about 18 credits of required core business courses and 42 credits of electives for a total of 60 credits. There is are varying credit stacks, however. Programs with fewer credits are likely aimed at students with a Bachelors in Business or prior work history.
Are you hoping to climb up the corporate ladder? MBA programs typically encourage students to develop the professional skills thought of as critical in today's business environment.
If you are interested in earning your MBA, here are some skills that may be useful:
- Interpersonal communication
- Complex problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Logical analysis
- Systems evaluation
Additional MBA Program Resources
Looking for an MBA Scholarship? Submit an essay with 250 words or less in response to our prompt question about why you want to earn a Masters in Business Administration and enter to win!
We asked Honor Society Executive Director Mike Moradian about the possible benefits of an MBA:
Aside from the ROI, students who earn their MBA undoubtedly leave with a strong understanding of management and an advanced business acumen.
Select From 2,116 Top MBA Programs
- Rochester, MNRochester, MN
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
This program provides broad, managerial preparation for leadership positions in private, nonprofit, and public organizations.
- Minneapolis, MN
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Saint Joseph
11-course Master's degree, with specialization in Homeland Security, Management Strategy; can be taken on Saturdays as a...
- Boca Raton, FLBoca Raton, FL
Strengthen your knowledge and understanding of management techniques in the field of aviation and airport operations.
- Fort Lauderdale, FLFort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern UniversityUpcoming Start Date: May 06, 2019
The Weekend M.B.A. program format is designed to be accessible to working professionals. The WeekendM.B.A.
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Robert P. Stiller School of Business online MBA allows students to add value to their career right away.
- Durham, NHDurham, NH
University of New Hampshire
The Whittemore School of Business and Economics offers a program leading to the M.B.A.
- Youngstown, OHYoungstown, OH
Youngstown State University
The MBA program prepares students for increasing levels of managerial responsibility. The program provides qualified students with broad-based knowledge of accounting, finance, management, marketing, and their interrelationships and applications. T...
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
New School, The
This rigorous industry-focused program prepares managers to launch and lead design process–driven organizations in the complex global economy.
- South Orange, NJSouth Orange, NJ
Seton Hall UniversityUpcoming Start Date: May 21, 2019
The Practical MBA Highly accredited. Completely accepted. Totally practical. The Stillman School of Business, located in northern New Jersey, is an...
- Northridge, CANorthridge, CA
California State University, Northridge
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
Huron International University
The mission of Huron is to offer high quality post-secondary education to capable domestic and international career students who seek entry or advancement and who possess the motivation and maturity to pursue higher education. Huron emphasizes individua...
- Oakdale, NYOakdale, NY
Coursework is offered days, nights, and weekends in Oakdale and Brookhaven.
Central Michigan University
- Mount Pleasant, MI
- Vermillion, SDVermillion, SD
University of South Dakota
- Salem, ORSalem, OR
Willamette's Full-Time MBA programs are specifically designed to prepare students for their first professional career position, career change or advancement. In just 21 months, Willamette MBA students learn the core principles of general management,...
- Wheeling, WVWheeling, WV
Wheeling Jesuit University
Wheeling Jesuit University offers an MBA program specifically developed for working residents of the upper Ohio Valley.
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
California State University, Los Angeles