Master's of Business Administration Programs
What is an MBA Degree?
The MBA degree is regarded as a terminal and professional Masters degree in business administration. Commonly abbreviated as M.B.A., the Master's degree in business administration is an internationally recognized business graduate degree.
Many students pursue an MBA to fine tune their skills in preparation for today’s competitive business environment.
Initial MBA programs rose in the 20th century as a response to industrial development. Companies started to seek science-based approaches to management. Today’s MBA programs teach basic business courses, strategy, and team building.
Masters in Business Administration programs cover a wide range of business fields, such as marketing, finance, accounting, business management and more.
GradSchools.com Top Schools with Business Administration & Management Masters Degrees*
Start Date: 01/22/2019
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 10,863+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 16:1
Start Date: 03/04/2019
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 2,607+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 12:1
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - N/A
Student / Teacher Ratio - N/A
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 26,149+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 17:1
EducationDynamics maintains business relationships with the schools it features.
How Do I Earn an MBA Degree?
The first step in earning a MBA degree is to earn a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. This does not have to be a business degree. Aside from this, university requirements for MBA degree programs vary. Some business schools look for specific qualities in their future students. Others look at level of management experience. Some possible requirements are listed below.
- Resume and work history
- Post-graduate full-time work
- experience, and/or internships
- Certified copy of your undergraduate degree, transcripts
- Letters of reference
- GMAT result and graduate school-specific score
- Proficiency in English
- Computer literacy
- Letter of intent and motivation (personal statement)
Why Pursue an MBA Degree?
Many MBA graduates chose to pursue a career in business. However some might want to consider earning a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree. As the highest professional practice degree beyond the Master of Business Administration, it may help individuals distinguish themselves from other MBA graduates, or, establish further expertise through research and advanced coursework.
We asked Executive Chef of Wednesdays Jenny Dorsey how earning an MBA helped her in business:
My MBA truly showed me what "networking" - the effective, powerful kind - means. I learned how to network and prospect new clients, building my two businesses from the ground up. As the saying goes, people will forget all about what you say and do but they will remember how you made them feel.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, Securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents had the biggest wage premium of any of these occupations: workers who had a master’s degree earned a wage that was nearly 90 percent higher than that for workers with a bachelor’s degree. Many of these sales agents earned a master’s degree in business administration (MBA), which may be required for high-level jobs."
Some common jobs available for those awarded with an MBA:
- Financial Analyst
- Director/VP in Marketing
- Research Analyst
- Corporate Strategy
- Top Executive
- Healthcare Administrator
Popular MBA Graduate Programs
Accelerated, No GMAT Required
Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise Specialization
Non Profit Leadership & Management
Types of MBA Programs
Since not all students can participate in a two-year full-time MBA, business schools have adapted.
- Accelerated MBA programs are a variation on full-time study which may take about one year to complete. They tend to involve more intense class and examination schedules because material is condensed into one year.
- Part time MBA programs are sometimes referred to as "Flexible" MBA programs. Students may have up to six years to complete their degree. Programs generally suit the unique time constraints of on-the-go adults and working students. Courses may be offered in the evenings and/or weekends, depending on the business school.
- Hybrid MBA programs: offer a blended online learning format; campus requirements plus distance education.
- Campus MBA programs: Searching for an MBA program in a specific city, state or country? Earning an MBA degree abroad, especially if you are drawn to international business or finance, might be a great experience. Or search for near-by MBA schools to help build your local network.
- Online MBA programs are offered by online business schools and traditional universities alike. These deliver the required curriculum through web-based courses for increased flexibility and convenience.
- Dual MBA programs are a combination of two degrees. For instance, the JD/MBA or MBA/Nursing.
What is an Executive Masters in Business Administration?
An Executive Masters in Business Administration (EMBA) degree is an MBA for executives. EMBA programs may be accelerated or more flexible. Some schools offer these programs during the evenings or weekends.
What Types of MBA Courses Would I Take?
Many MBA programs focus on a specific concentration. MBA concentration areas are elective courses that tailor the degree to a student’s interest. Or, it can be used to gain extra skills in one domain. These areas differ from school to school, so it is one way of narrowing down what schools you apply to. Sample concentrations are listed below.
- Executive - An Executive Masters in Business Administration (EMBA) degree is an MBA for executives. EMBA programs may be accelerated or more flexible. Some schools offer these programs during the evenings or weekends to accommodate busy schedules.
- General MBA - emphasizes management skills and knowledge designed for relevance in today's business world
- Management - specialization in Management with focuses on leadership, legal compliance and contemporary policy issues
- Finance & Accounting
- Sports Business
- Non Profit Management
- Take advantage of some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
- Offering over 200 online degree programs including associate's, bachelor's, master's & certificate programs
MBA Program Accreditation
MBA degree program accreditation by external agencies offers students and employers an independent perspective of the school or program's quality. In addition, it could speak to whether the curriculum meets professional standards. This is an important aspect to consider when choosing an MBA Program. Some examples of the major accrediting bodies in the United States are listed below.
- Association of MBA’s (AMBA): impartial authority of postgraduate management education for MBA, DBA and Master’s degrees
- The European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) is run by the Brussels-based EFMD Management Development Network; EQUIS focuses on institutions that offer undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral business programs, including the MBA
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business - AACSB international
- Accreditation Council for Collegiate Business Schools and Programs –ACBSP
- International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education- IACBE
How Long Does it Take to Earn an MBA Degree?
The traditional MBA degree is a two-year full time program. In many MBA schools, this means four terms, summer breaks and pre-set holidays. However, there are other formats that either speed up or slow down the time to graduation.
How Many Credits for an MBA Degree?
MBA degrees may consist of about 18 credits of required core business courses and 42 credits of electives for a total of 60 credits. There is are varying credit stacks, however. Programs with fewer credits are likely aimed at students with a Bachelors in Business or prior work history.
Are you hoping to climb up the corporate ladder? MBA programs typically encourage students to develop the professional skills thought of as critical in today's business environment.
If you are interested in earning your MBA, here are some skills that may be useful:
- Interpersonal communication
- Complex problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Logical analysis
- Systems evaluation
Additional MBA Program Resources
Looking for an MBA Scholarship? Submit an essay with 250 words or less in response to our prompt question about why you want to earn a Masters in Business Administration and enter to win!
We asked Honor Society Executive Director Mike Moradian about the possible benefits of an MBA:
Aside from the ROI, students who earn their MBA undoubtedly leave with a strong understanding of management and an advanced business acumen.
Select From 2,109 Top MBA Programs
George Mason UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 22, 2019
Delivering a diverse skill set with a global perspective, George Mason's online MBA gives students the credentials and confidence to assume critical leadership roles in business, government, and public institutions worldwide. Courses are availabl...
The University of Scranton
The University of Scranton's online Master of Business Administration (MBA) leads you to high-level success with a focus on ethics, social responsibility, and technology-enhanced leadership skills.
Winthrop University's online Master of Business Administration (MBA) program empowers students to lead with conviction in their current and future roles.
Northcentral UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 28, 2019
It requires big-picture thinking to succeed in business. The Strategic Management MBA specialization at NCU is designed for you to learn how to examine the long-term needs of an organization and implement plans necessary to address those needs. Throu...
- Fairfield, CTFairfield, CT
Sacred Heart University
The Welch MBA at Sacred Heart is dynamic & interactive, preparing you for the real world of business today...
MBA@Simmons is the Master of Business Administration program delivered online from Simmons School of Management.
Benedictine UniversityUpcoming Start Date: March 04, 2019
Today's job market demands that you stand out. A Master of Business Administration (MBA) online degree from Benedictine University tells employment decision-makers three things. You're prepared for high-level leadership.
- Lisle, IL
Being an effective manager requires skillful direction of people, information, financial resources, and change...
Queens University of Charlotte
The online Master of Business Administration from Queens University of Charlotte instills a foundation of leadership within our students.
Louisiana State University In Shreveport
LSU Shreveport is a proud member of the acclaimed LSU University System. With LSUS, you can find the graduate program that fits your lifestyle and your career goals. You can open the door to new career opportunities without putting your life on hold.
- Northridge, CANorthridge, CA
California State University, Northridge
Tackle the business side of music in the MA in Music Industry Administration program at CSUN. Earn a masters in music business while studying music production, distribution, management and promotion in the heart of the nation's entertainment community.
Lawrence Technological University
Designed for busy professionals in technically complex fields, LTU’s Online MBA program allows you to develop leadership and business expertise on your schedule. Optional concentrations in Project Management, IT, Finance and Cybersecurity are available.
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota's affordable Online Accelerated MBA program can be completed in 18 months or less. The curriculum focuses on real-world issues and gives students a learning experience that is immediately applicable.
- Winona, MN
- Minneapolis, MN
- Ewing, NJEwing, NJ
College of New Jersey, TheUpcoming Start Date: January 28, 2019
The Hybrid MBA, Built For Today. Three cutting-edge specializations in high-growth fields. The hybrid nature allows for the flexibility of online classes with the added benefit of in-person sessions and networking opportunities...
Purdue University Global
Purdue Global’s online Master of Business Administration program is designed to maximize your talent, while preparing you for career advancement and professional growth in a global economy.* The School of Business and Information Technology offers you o...
- Augusta, ME
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Davenport, IA
- Des Moines, IA
- Hagerstown, MD
- Indianapolis, IN
- Lewiston, ME
- Mason City, IA
- Milwaukee, WI
- Omaha, NE
- Rockville, MD
- South Portland, ME
- Saint Louis, MO
Grand Canyon University
The Master of Business Administration program is designed for working professionals who desire to complete a program of study that allows focus across technical, human, and conceptual skills that encompass the functional areas of business. The core cour...
- Chico, CAChico, CA
California State University, Chico
The College of Business at California State University, Chico offers graduate level business courses to aspiring and working business professionals.
- Tracy, CATracy, CA
Notre Dame de Namur University
Join Notre Dame de Namur University's top-ranked Silicon Valley BA today. With multiple start dates, format options, and locations, we make it possible to attend classes and complete coursework while you continue working.
- Belmont, CA
- Paxton, MAPaxton, MA
Anna Maria College
Anna Maria College's Master's in Business Administration (MBA) combines theoretical and hands-on experience taught by faculty with business and industry experience.
Pennsylvania State University
Integrating cutting-edge business strategies and practical business knowledge, the AACSB-accredited Online MBA degree program provides a flexible way to develop a strong understanding of all functional areas, as well as expertise in one of 10 specialties.
- Pomona, NJPomona, NJ
Business is constantly changing and the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program at Stockton is designed to focus on our students mastering today the skills and knowledge that they can use immediately and in the future. ...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
Broaden your business perspective and sharpen your leadership capabilities in Loyola's 20 month EMBA program. A cohort model helps expand your network and skill set, while the unique international immersion trip enhances global business understanding.
- Chicago, IL
- Tampa, FLTampa, FL
University of Tampa
The University of Tampa’s MBA program is offered in four convenient formats...