Online Masters in Architecture Programs
For graduate students who have a keen sense of planning, visualizing and constructing spaces and structures, enrolling in an online masters in architecture program may prepare them to jumpstart a variety of career paths, including that of a professional architect. Earning a master’s in architecture can take from 1 to 5 years to complete, depending on the extent of the student’s prior education in architecture[i].
Architecture is a broad term, with different meanings, including, but not restricted to describing buildings and other physical structures[ii]. It can also denote the art and science of designing buildings, the style of design and method of construction, the knowledge of art, science and technology, and humanity, as well as the practices of the architect.
FUN FACT: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of architects is projected to increase 7% from 2014 to 2024, which is as fast as the average for all occupations therefore now might be a great time to earn a master’s in architecture degree[iii].
Potential advantages to earning an Online Masters in Architecture
If you are a busy adult or working professional, enrolling in a Masters in Architecture online program might be a convenient way to pursue advanced studies while maintaining a full schedule. Distance learning typically is a flexible learning format; students log into a course management system online when they are able to study. The latest digital technology help students remain connected to online library and research tools, their classmates and professors.
FUN FACT: Most states also require some form of continuing education to keep a license, and some additional states are expected to adopt mandatory continuing education[i].
GradSchools.com makes it easy for you to review and choose an Online Master’s of Architecture program. You can
locate programs using the tabs to enter a city, state or country and determine where the schools offering masters in architecture online degree program are located. You can also just browse through the different listings for online MS Architecture, Architecture M.Arch Online degree programs. If a full online degree is not somehting you are looking for, you may use our site to see campus masters in architecture programs, or a blend of both online and campus, a hybrid masters in architecture program.
Potential Curriculum For Online Masters in Architecture Programs
The curriculum in Online Masters in Architecture programs may vary between schools, concentration of the degree, such as an Online Masters Construction Management might be more oriented towards administration and project leadership.
Some of the technology used by Architects includes[iv]:
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Database user interface and query software
- Document management software
- Graphics or photo imaging software
- Project management software.
Some of the courses in a typical architectural program include[i]:
- Courses in architectural history and theory
- Building design with an emphasis on computer aided design and drafting (CADD)
- Structures, technology
- Construction methods
- Professional practices
- Physical sciences
- Liberal arts
In general, architects require knowledge in the following areas[iv]:
- Design: Knowledge of techniques, tools and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models
- Building and Construction: Knowledge of materials, methods and mechanisms involved in the construction process and repair of houses, highways, buildings and other structures
- Customer Care: Knowledge of how to provide service to clients, such as assessment of their needs.
- Administration and Management: Knowledge of business principles involved in strategic planning and production methods
- Customer Service: Knowledge of principles and processes of providing customer satisfaction, and making assessments of client’s needs.
Potential Career Paths For Graduates of Online Masters in Architecture Programs
Some of the potential career paths for graduates with a Masters in Architecture degree might include:
- Architects: Earning a professional degree in architecture is the typical path to jumpstarting a career as an architect in all states[i]. Architects plan and design different kinds of structures such as buildings, theatres, factories, private residences and office buildings. There are typically three main steps to pursuing a career as a licensed architect: completing a professional degree in architecture, gaining relevant experience through a paid internship and passing the Architect Registration exam[i].
- Although about 1 in 5 architects was self-employed in 2014[v]. Some of the industries that employ architects are architectural, engineering and related services, Federal government, residential building construction, State government, and nonresidential building construction[iv].
- Construction managers: Plan coordinate, budget, and supervise construction projects from development to completion[vi].
- Architectural and Engineering Managers: Plan, coordinate, manage and direct activities in architectural and engineering companies[iii].
- Civil engineers: Civil engineers design, construct, supervise, operate, and maintain large construction projects and systems, including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment[vii].
- Architecture teachers – postsecondary: Instruct students in a wide variety of academic and vocational subjects beyond high school level. They also conduct research and publish scholarly papers and books. Most commonly they must have a Ph.D, and work experience in the subject they are teaching[viii]. This might include a Phd in Architecture.
- Interior designers: Make interior spaces functional, safe and beautiful by determining requirements, and selecting the décor. They also read blueprints, and must know building codes and inspection regulations[ix].
Ready to pursue an Online Masters in Architecture?
Earning a Masters in architecture might prepare you to pursue an exciting professional career. Perhaps you want to learn the profession of planning and designing office buildings, sustainable homes, or public spaces. Why not review your choices for masters in architecture online programs on GradSchools.com to find the program that might address your unique aspirations?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm#tab-4 | [ii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm | [iv] onetonline.org/link/summary/17-1011.00 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm#tab-3 | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/construction-managers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/civil-engineers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/interior-designers.htm
Southern New Hampshire UniversityMSM Construction Management
Technischen Universität MünchenAdvanced Construction and Building Technology - Automation, Robotics, Services
Newschool Of Architecture And DesignMaster of Construction Management
North Dakota State UniversityMasters in Construction Management
Kansas State UniversityCommunity Development
Louisiana State UniversityMaster of Science in Construction Management