Masters in Architecture Schools
Graduate students who are seeking to pursue advanced studies in architecture might find that enrolling in a Masters in Architecture School program may open up a variety of potential career paths. If you enjoy planning, visualizing and constructing spaces and structures, pursuing a career as a professional architect can take from 1 to 5 years to complete, depending on the extent of the student’s prior education in architecture.[i] According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of architects is projected to grow 7% from 2014 to 2024, which is as fast as the average for all occupations.[ii] Now might be a great time to earn a master’s in architecture degree.
Architecture is widely defined as having several meanings, including, but not limited to describing buildings and other built structures[iii]. It can also refer to the art and science of designing buildings, the style of design used, the method of construction, the knowledge of art, science and technology, and humanity, as well as the practices of the architect.
How To Search For Masters in Architecture on Campus Grad Schools
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review potential options for Masters in Architecture on Campus Programs. You can perform a location search to determine where accredited Architecture Grad Schools are located; simply enter the city, state or country where you are hoping to study and then browse the listings.
Studying on a college campus may be beneficial to you if you enjoy face-to-face interactions with peers, professors, and classmates. The University years may offer you the opportunity to network, study in groups, or join in activities to round out your education. On campus study also means access to the school’s facilities, such as gymnasiums, libraries, and laboratories. Not to mention, some schools might have beautiful architecture themselves! Still, you may
Potential Curriculum For and Masters in Architecture on Campus Program
It is possible that the actual curriculum in campus Architecture Masters programs may vary depending on the school. Architects may need a background in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)[iv].
Some programs may be concentrated or allow students to choose a concentration which might affect the curriculum. For instance, those enrolled in a Master of Landscape Architecture program might study[i]:
- Landscape design and construction,
- Landscape ecology,
- Urban and regional planning,
- Landscape architecture
- Plant and Soil Science
- Professional Practice
- General Management
Courses in a typical architectural program might include[i]:
- Architectural history and theory
- Building design with an emphasis on computer aided design and drafting (CADD)
- Construction methods
- Professional practices
- Physical sciences
- Liberal arts
Some of the potential skills cultivated in Architecture Masters Programs are[iv]:
- Critical Thinking
- Active Listening
- Complex Problem Solving
- Judgment and Decision-Making
Potential Career Paths For Graduates of Masters in Architecture on Campus Programs
Some of the potential career paths for graduates with a Masters in Architecture degree might include:
- Architects: Earning a professional degree in architecture is the typical path to jumpstarting a career as an architect in all states[i]. Architects plan and design different kinds of structures such as buildings, theatres, factories, private residences and office buildings.
- There are typically three main steps to becoming a licensed architect[i]:
- Completing a professional degree in architecture
- Gaining relevant experience through a paid internship
- Passing the Architect Registration exam
- Construction managers: Plan coordinate, budget, and supervise construction projects from development to completion. Employment of construction managers is projected to grow 5% between 2014 and 2024[v].
- Architectural and Engineering Managers: Plan, coordinate, manage and direct activities in architectural and engineering companies. Employment of architectural and engineering managers is projected to grow 2% between 2014 and 2024[vi].
- Civil engineers: Civil engineers design, construct, supervise, operate, and maintain large construction projects and systems, including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment. Employment of Civil Engineers is projected to grow 8% between 2012 and 2022[vii].
- Architecture teachers – postsecondary: Instruct students in a wide variety of academic and vocational subjects beyond high school level. They also conduct research and publish scholarly papers and books. Most commonly they must have a Ph.D, and work experience in the subject they are teaching. Employment of Post-secondary teachers is projected to grow 1% between 2014 and 2024[viii].
- Interior designers: Make interior spaces functional, safe and beautiful by determining requirements, and selecting the décor. They also read blueprints, and must know building codes and inspection regulations. Employment of Interior Designers is projected to grow 4% between 2014 and 2022[ix].
- Landscape Architects: Plan and design land areas for parks, recreational facilities, private homes, campuses and other open spaces. Employment of landscape architects is projected to grow 5% between 2012 and 2024[x].
Ready to pursue a Masters in Architecture on Campus Degree?
Whether you enjoy planning and designing indoor or outdoor spaces, enrolling in a Masters in Architecture program might prepare you to pursue a variety of exciting professional career paths in some growing occupations across a variety of industries. Architects are employed in architectural, engineering and related services, Federal government, residential building construction, State government, and nonresidential building construction,[iv] and 1 in 5 Architects was self-employed in 2014.[xi] Why not review your options for graduate schools offering masters in architecture programs on GradSchools.com now?
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm | [iii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture | [iv] onetonline.org/link/summary/17-1011.00 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/landscape-architects.htm#tab-4 | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/construction-managers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/architectural-and-engineering-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/civil-engineers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/interior-designers.htm | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/landscape-architects.htm
- Edinburgh, United KingdomEdinburgh, United Kingdom
University of Edinburgh
American Students should be aware that Edinburgh College of Art is an 'approved school' for the American Stafford Loan. As well as offering a wide range of taught degrees, eca promotes research-based degrees such as PhD, MPhil and MSc across all discipl...
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Hong Kong, Hong KongHong Kong, Hong Kong
University of Hong Kong, The
A postgraduate coursework accredited professional curriculum leading to the degree of Master ofLandscape Architecture (MLA) is offered as part of the...
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Chester, United KingdomChester, United Kingdom
The program incorporates elements of political, social and economic history, but the emphasis is upon exploring the history and presentation of Britain's landscapes, buildings and settlements. Students have the opportunity to explore specific themes...
- Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan
University of Tokyo, The
- Sheffield, United KingdomSheffield, United Kingdom
University of Sheffield
MA UDP is a course jointly delivered with the School of Architecture, and accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute as a Specialist Planning Programme.
- Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
University of California - Los Angeles
- Buffalo, NYBuffalo, NY
University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo offers a fully accredited Master of Architecture degree.
- Athens, GAAthens, GA
University of Georgia
The Masters Degree in Landscape Architecture (MLA) at the University of Georgia provides the foundational knowledge, practical skills and design exper...
- Taejon, KoreaTaejon, Korea
Chungnam National University
- Stratford, United KingdomStratford, United Kingdom
University of East London
This new programme is growing out of the SchoolÆs longstanding preoccupation with urban and landscape intervention and regeneration both local and int...
- Stratford, United Kingdom
- Cheltenham, United KingdomCheltenham, United Kingdom
University of Gloucestershire
As the oldest accredited course in the UK, our programmes equip graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the challenges of the 21st century, when issues of sustainability and rapid environmental change are forcing developers to rethink...
- Kingston, JamaicaKingston, Jamaica
University of Technology, Jamaica
The graduate of the Masters Degree in Architecture would have demonstrated a commitment to the understanding of the practice of architecture as both a...
- Conway, MAConway, MA
Conway School Of Landscape Design
Conway School of Landscape Design is a small school with a ten-month graduate program in environmentally sound site design and land use planning.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
Cooper Union, The
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
University of Westminster
The Postgraduate Certificate of Professional Practice in Architecture is the third stage of architectural education with exemption from RIBA III, lead...
- London, United Kingdom