Masters in Construction Management on Campus Degrees and Programs
Masters in Construction Management on Campus Degree Program Information
For graduates who enjoy supervising a project from beginning to end, possess keen deductive reasoning skills and are passionate about the creative and building process, pursuing a Master’s in Construction Management Degree may help you pursue leadership roles in the industry.
As time goes on, it is becoming more vital for construction managers to earn a bachelor’s degree in construction science, construction management, architecture, or engineering. As construction processes become more complex, employers are placing greater emphasis on specialized education[i]. According to BLS data, employment of construction managers will grow 16% from 2012 to 2022; earning a Masters in Construction Management on Campus Degree may just be the edge that sets you apart from the competition in this field[ii].
Potential Benefits To Enrolling In a Masters in Construction Management on Campus Program
If you are someone who is looking to enhance your career within the construction management industry, you might consider that advanced education may prepare you to pursue higher level jobs; for projects too large to be managed by one person, such as office buildings and industrial complexes, a top-level construction manager hires other construction managers to be in charge of different aspects of the project. Each construction manager would then oversee a specific phase of the project, such as structural foundation, plumbing, or electrical work, and choose subcontractors to complete it. The top-level construction manager would then collaborate and coordinate with the other construction managers.[iii]
Construction Management Masters Programs might help students acquire the knowledge and expertise so they may be prepared to pursue careers as leaders in the construction industry. The Bureau of Labor
Statistics predicts that employment of construction managers will grow 16% from 2012 to 2022; earning a Construction Management masters Degree may just be the edge that sets you apart from the competition in this field[ii].
How Do I find a Masters in Construction Management on Campus Program?
GradSchools.com has easy to use search tools to help students locate accredited campuses offering Masters in Construction Management Degree program. You can begin with a location search; use the tabs to enter a city, state or country where you would like to study and review the listings. You May find different MS Construction Management programs to choose from, as well as some specialized Degree programs within Construction Management such as MS Foundation and Construction Engineering, Master Architectural Engineering or MS Structural Engineering and Construction Management.
Learning on a college campus could be rewarding. You might build and create new social networks, cultivate different interests, and certainly, have face-to-face time with professors and classmates. You also gain access to the amenities and events on campus, whether you enjoy college football, using the library, the athletic facilities, or computer labs!
What Qualities Might I cultivate In Construction Management?
Some of the skills that Construction Managers might cultivate include[i]:
- Analytical Skills: Most construction Managers plan a project strategy, and have to be able to do cost estimation, handling unexpected delays, and solving problems
- Business Skills: Managers need to address budget concerns, coordinate and supervise workers
- Customer-Service Skills: Construction Managers are in constant contact with owners, inspectors and workers
- Decision-Making Skills: Choosing personnel and subcontractors for different projects and tasks
- Initiative: Self-employed construction managers need to be able to develop new and maintain existing business. Construction Managers held about 485,000 jobs in 2012 and approximately 57% were self-employed[iv]
- Leadership Skills: Managers must be able to effectively delegate tasks
- Time-Management Skills: Construction Management requires meeting deadlines
- Writing Skills: Managers are required to write proposals, budgets, document the construction process
Potential Career Paths For Masters in Construction Management on Campus Management Graduates
- Construction Managers: Professionals who have earned a Masters in Construction Management or MBA in Construction Management plan, direct, or coordinate, usually through secondary supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. They also participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, budgeting, and implementation[v]. The median annual wage for Construction Managers in 2012 was $82,790[ii].
- Civil Engineers: design, construct, supervise, operate, and maintain large construction projects and systems, including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment. The 2012 median pay for this field was $79,340[vi].
- Architectural and Engineering Managers: plan, coordinate, and direct activities in architectural and engineering companies. The 2012 Median pays for this occupation was $124,870[vii].
- Architects: plan and design houses, office buildings, and other structures. The 2012 median pay for architects was $73,090[viii].
- Cost Estimators: collect and analyze data in order to estimate time, money, materials, and labor required to manufacture a product, construct a building, or provide a service. They generally specialize in a particular industry or type of product. The 2012 median pay for cost estimators was $58,860[ix].
Ready to Pursue a Masters in Construction Management Degree on Campus?
If you are presently looking for a masters program that combines your abilities in business, technology finance, and architecture, pursuing a construction management masters degree might help build a bright future in a variety of career paths for you. Start reviewing accredited construction management schools on GradScools.com now!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/management/construction-managers.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/management/construction-managers.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/management/construction-managers.htm#tab-2 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/construction-managers.htm#tab-3 | [v] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9021.00 | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/civil-engineers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/architectural-and-engineering-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/cost-estimators.htm
- Bristol, RIBristol, RI
Roger Williams University
The Master of Science in Construction Management (MSCM) program will be offered beginning in the fall 2009.
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University)
he Master of Science degree in Construction Management is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills to plan and manage each phase of the construction process with an unparalleled focus on sustainability.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
The Facilities Management program prepares students to assume leadership roles in managing an organization’s built environment, either as internal employees or as external service providers and consultants.
- Chalco De Diaz Covarrubias, MexicoChalco De Diaz Covarrubias, Mexico
- Ankara, TurkeyAnkara, Turkey
Middle East Technical University
- Cambridge, MACambridge, MA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The primary focus of the Department is to train practitioners for professional practice. The main emphasis, therefore, is on the Master in City Planni...
- East Lansing, MIEast Lansing, MI
Michigan State University
The Master of Science in Construction Management provides a breadth in managerial, technological, economic, and environmental aspects of construction. Depth comes through a systems approach encompassing project management, estimating, scheduling and pro...
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United KingdomNewcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
This programme is designed to equip graduates with a well-founded knowledge and understanding of naval architecture and of its practical application,...
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan
Tokyo Denki University
- East Greenwich, RIEast Greenwich, RI
New England Institute of Technology
New England Tech’s Master’s of Construction Management program blends modern construction management theory, best practices, and technical skills with the contemporary business management principles that drive 21st century organizational...
- Osaka, JapanOsaka, Japan
- Aberdeen, United KingdomAberdeen, United Kingdom
Robert Gordon University, The
This inter-disciplinary course provides students with the knowledge and understanding to deal with the impact of science and technology on the conservation of the built heritage. It extends the expertise of entrants with first degrees in the built envir...
- Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
King Mongkut's University of Technology Ladkrabang
- Stillwater, OKStillwater, OK
Oklahoma State University
The School of Architecture at Oklahoma State University offers unique opportunities in one of the most respected professional programs in the country...
- Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan
- Taegu, KoreaTaegu, Korea
Kyungpook National University
- Sheffield, United KingdomSheffield, United Kingdom
Sheffield Hallam University
- Kingston Upon Thames, United KingdomKingston Upon Thames, United Kingdom
Ideal if you're interested in the construction & maintenance of buildings and interested in being a 'building doctor'.
- Gainesville, FLGainesville, FL
The University of Florida
The University of Florida M.E. Rinker Sr., School of Building Construction is accredited as having one of the bestGraduate programs for schools of it's kind. It is the only school in the U.S. to offer a Doctoral Degree in BuildingConstruction which enta...
- Gainesville, FL
- Newark, NJNewark, NJ
New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Austin, TXAustin, TX
University of Texas at Austin
Architectural Engineering is the engineering of buildings integrated with the architectural requirements.
- Cincinnati, OHCincinnati, OH
University of Cincinnati
Please click on the link above to access our department's web site, which contains information about our graduate programs and downloadable application forms.
- Auckland, New ZealandAuckland, New Zealand
University of Auckland
The University's comprehensive range of postgraduate study programmes is internationally recognised, attracting students from all over the world.