The Path to a better future is right in front of you
The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication
Murrow East 226
Pullman, WA 99164
Integrative Graduate Education and Research Training Program (IGERT)
The Integrative Graduate Education and Research Training program (IGERT) is the National Science Foundation flagship interdisciplinary training program that educates U.S. PhD scientists and engineers by building on the foundations of their disciplinary knowledge with interdisciplinary training. At present, WSU has three IGERTS.
Roughly 60 doctoral-seeking students from WSU will receive NSF grants over the next five years to conduct cutting edge research in critical areas including the environment and health.
What are some benefits of the IGERT?
* The IGERT will provide $6 million to WSU to develop three multi-disciplinary doctoral programs.
* The IGERT offers a $30,000 per year stipend.
* The IGERT offers up to $8,000 per year for research funding for travel.
Which research areas are involved?
1. The IGERT Program in Evolutionary Modeling (IPEM) is an innovative PhD training program in "Model-based Approaches to Biological and Cultural Evolution." This is an ongoing IGERT that has been continued this year. IPEM aims to integrate biological and anthropological perspectives through a shared curriculum that emphasizes adaptation and diversification in genomic, behavioral, and cultural domains, and training in models for studying evolutionary processes across these domains.
2. One of the new IGERT programs focuses on health assistive, "smart" environments and will provide doctoral students with integrated training in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, psychology, sociology, and health care.
3. The NSPIRE IGERT is an interdisciplinary research opportunity focused on nitrogen cycle processes in the environment integrated with experiential learning of public policy. Applicants are welcome from the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences, the College of Engineering and Architecture, and the College of Sciences. The application d
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Loans Offered: Loans may be available. To determine eligiblity for federal student aid, students should begin by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal School Code: 003800
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999