About Liberty University
About Liberty University
In 1985, ‘Liberty University Online’ was launched to provide working professionals the opportunity to earn a degree from an established brick and mortar school with Christian values. All the University’s diplomas state “Liberty University” with no distinction between residential and online programs.
As the world’s largest Christian university, LU has 16 colleges and schools. Graduate students can choose from over 330 programs of study in many fields. These span education, counseling, religion, law and business programs. Many programs are offered in residential or online program format.
Mission, Vision and Values
Liberty University seeks to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills that could impact the world.
Through its residential and online programs, the University educates men and women to make important contributions to their workplaces and communities, pursue their chosen careers as calling to glorify God, and fulfill the Great Commission.
Enrollment, Attendance, Graduation
Based on NCES data from Fall 2015, Liberty University has a graduate enrollment of 30,631 students, of which 96% are enrolled in only distance education. Of these students, 33% were enrolled on a full-time basis and 67 percent are enrolled part-time. Overall graduation rate for students who began their studies in Fall 2009 was 47 percent. Also, noteworthy are graduate program completions for the years 2014-2015. These are as following:i
- 7,935 Master’s degrees were awarded. (1,612 Business, Management and Marketing; 1,213 Education; 1,996 Public Administration; 1,832 Theology, and 786 in Counseling Psychology).
- 254 Doctorate degrees were awarded
- 812 Post-graduate certificates were awarded.
Liberty University accepts students from around the globe. Admissions to LU requires 5 steps: “Secure funding. Transcripts. Enroll. Pay. Start.” Regardless of the program, the first step of the admissions process is to submit an official application.
Graduate Admission Requirements
Aside from the above, graduate admission requirements vary by specific degree programs. One of the features that Liberty University offers is preliminary acceptance. This is designed so students in their final undergraduate term may be able to start their Master’s degree immediately after graduation. Official transcripts are required to be fully accepted.
- LU has a conditional enrollment policy. After a completed application is received, students may register for up to 12 credit hours (4 courses).
- MBA students may register for up to 9 credit hours (providing class availability)
Doctoral Admission Requirements
EdD, EdS, PhD, DMin, WSB, former students reapplying, and resident students are not allowed to register until fully accepted into a program. Programs such as the Doctor of Business Administration may be competitive. Meeting the requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Dual credit, Credit for life experiences, Credit For Military, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Doctoral/Research Universities
- Religious Affiliation: Evangelical Christian
- There are 4840 full-time faculty
- 1904 Part-time instructional faculty
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Remedial Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Placement Services Completers
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 63% part-time and 37% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 Liberty University awarded: 1273 associates, 8217 bachelor's degrees, 8057 master's degrees, 347 post-master's certificates, 58 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 255 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
Eligible students may receive Pell Grants and other federal aid, such as Direct Loans.i Liberty University Online also offers several Resident Graduate Scholarships for qualified students. One is these is the Heroes Fund Scholarship. Other tuition initiatives that may be available to qualified students include the following.
- Corporate Tuition Assistance
- Liberty University Online: Online
Liberty University Start Dates
Liberty’s online programs offer 8 start dates per year to make it convenient for you to begin your classes.
Liberty University has a total instructional faculty of 1,720 full-time and 1,135 part-time based on NCES data from Fall 2015.i Faculty is comprised of leaders from each field, and bring real-world experience to the classroom. All faculty members have either master’s or doctorate degrees.