University of North Texas
College of Arts and Sciences
PO Box 311307
3940 N. Elm, Suite G150
Denton, TX 76207
Many problems facing society today have a geographical dimension. By studying Applied Geography at the University of North Texas, you learn to apply research methods and spatial and environmental problem-solving skills to:
- Address problems related to floods and droughts
- Create plans for sustainable urban growth
- Evaluate effects of globalization and environmental change on human security
- Evaluate human impacts on ecosystems
- Find good locations and markets for business expansion
- Identify patterns in the spread of disease
The Department of Geography offers course work leading to a Master of Science degree in Applied Geography and a 15-credit-hour certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). You can also take graduate-level courses without enrolling in the degree program.
Gain new perspectives
Our curriculum educates you in physical and human geography through required course work, research and teaching experience, and numerous internship opportunities.
We house several specialized laboratories for studying archaeological science, earth science, physical geology, geomorphology, hydrology, ecosystems, remote sensing and GIS. Other facilities are housed in the Institute of Applied Science, a center for interdisciplinary research.
You can gain additional insights by interacting and researching with faculty members from the School of Public Health at the UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth and specialists in environmental science.
Our faculty members are recognized experts in their fields. They conduct research in:
- Ecosystem management
- Hydrology and water resources
- Environmental archaeology
- Globalization and development
- Medical geography and health care delivery systems
- Natural hazard assessment
- Remote sensing and digital image processing
- Soil geomorphology
- Urban and economic geography
Outstanding student support
The university provides several services exclusively to graduate students. The Graduate Student Writing Support office can help you with writing, and the Center for Interdisciplinary Research offers assistance with statistical research.
A Thesis Boot Camp and other specialized workshops are available through the Toulouse Graduate School. Many of the workshops are available online for your convenience.
Facts & Figures
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 20,000-39,999