Southern Methodist University
Meadows School of the Arts
Master of Arts in Advertising
Master of Arts in Advertising
Experience it all.
The key to the Master of Arts in Advertising at SMU isn’t the individual courses or even the program of study. It’s the way the Temerlin Advertising Institute incorporates theory and practice from every major discipline within advertising and filters it through the lens of social and corporate responsibility.
It’s an approach designed for broader understanding, combining creativity, account planning, media and management. The combination of core skills with the overarching themes of globalization, responsibility and practical experience sets our MA in Advertising program apart from the rest.
To earn a Master of Arts in Advertising from the Temerlin Advertising Institute, you will complete a minimum of 36 credits. The program offers the opportunity to focus on Strategic Brand Management or Creative Advertising.
Courses in the program touch on topics across the following areas:
• Problem solving
• Strategic planning
• Organizational dynamics
• Economic and social impact
• Creative design
• Portfolio development
• International advertising, including a global immersion experience in an emerging market
• Brand development and management
• Case analyses
• Social media
• Viral marketing
• An intensive semester-long executive internship
• Capstone course developing a campaign for an actual client
Why Temerlin Advertising Institute?
• Responsibility: The new generation of advertising professional believes it’s okay to succeed, but not at any cost. The leaders coming out of TAI act on their responsibility to their brands, consumers, industry and society.
• Endowed Program: One of the only endowed advertising programs in the U.S., affording opportunities to enhance advertising education and research beyond what other programs can offer.
• Faculty: Faculty are leaders in their fields and have both industry and academic backgrounds, as well as ongoing relationships with high-level industry professionals.
• Work in Industry before You Graduate: Get a head start on your career with a 15-week executive internship in the nation’s fifth-largest market.
• Study Abroad: TAI offers one of the only MA in Advertising programs with a built-in global immersion experience; students study for several weeks in an emerging overseas market.
• Financial Support: An array of financial support packages is available to help defer the costs associated with grad school. Inquire about student research assistantships and scholarships; TAI also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program for military personnel.
• Results: Over 75 percent of the May 2012 graduating class had job offers secured within six weeks after graduation.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999