Sam Houston State University
College of Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice, Ph.D.
1903 University Avenue
Huntsville, TX 77341
Criminal Justice, Ph.D.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice is designed to produce students of crime and justice who possess a deep and extensive awareness of the body of knowledge in the field of criminal justice and the intellectual and methodological skills necessary for the continuing process of discovery and understanding of crime and justice related issues. The graduate should be capable of integrative and analytical thinking, competent at transmitting knowledge, able to engage in various accepted modes of research, and should possess skills in problem-solving.
The curriculum includes courses that provide theoretical and applied knowledge of the phenomena of crime and criminal justice. In addition to the demonstration of excellence in the classroom, students are expected to engage in research in accordance with personal specialized interests beyond specified courses.
Through the combined efforts of faculty and students, the PhD program in Criminal Justice produces students capable of making contributions to criminal justice through the academic and applied components of the discipline. The curriculum is designed to ensure that graduates are well equipped to participate in criminological positions emphasizing research, theory, law and administration.
- Graduate Application
- Application fee
- A master’s degree in Criminal Justice or an allied field
- Official test scores from the Graduate Record Examination
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts for all academic work (Note: Grades must show evidence of the ability to do doctoral level work)
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from faculty who are sufficiently acquainted with the student to comment on potential for success in the doctoral program
- Doctoral Follow-Up Application
- An original essay as described in the doctoral follow-up application
- A current resume or vita
- In some instances a personal interview may be requested
- International students ONLY: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) unless they have completed a degree in the United States (Note: A minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 [computer-based] is required)
A holistic review of each student’s application will be completed on a competitive basis.
Accreditation:Sam Houston State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees.
Facts & Figures
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Distant Town
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999