Our Lady of the Lake University
About Our Lady of the Lake University
Why Consider Our Lady of the Lake University?Sometimes referred to simply as Lady of the Lake University, Our Lady of the Lake University is a Catholic school open to all faiths and walks of life. Its leadership, campus programming, and academic programs, all strive to cater to Catholic values and to immerse students in a positive, meaning-infused environment. Here are some other great reasons to consider Our Lady of the Lake University:
Our Lady of the Lake University’s focus on the Hispanic CommunityOur Lady of the Lake University is a Catholic school and self-proclaimed expert in Hispanic, or Mexican-American, culture. As such, it takes great care to serve the Mexican-American community academically, culturally, and spiritually. During the fall 2016 semester, 76 percent of Our Lady of the Lake University’s 1,347 undergraduate students self-identified as Hispanic or Latino.i Given the school’s population and the population of the school’s surrounding areas, much of the curricula and student programming emphasizes Hispanic culture and community concerns. In the Master of Social Work program, for example, student study Hispanic culture and society to emerge from the program better prepared to serve Hispanic communities.
Our Lady of the Lake University’s Variety of FormatsOur Lady of the Lake University has a traditional, residential campus in San Antonio. At that location, the school offers traditional class times and opportunities for students to participate in student organizations and school traditions. The Lady of the Lake University San Antonio also offers some evening and weekend courses, in addition to online options. The school also has additional campuses, all of which cater to more non-traditional students, or students who are working adults or otherwise require more flexible programming, such as courses offered at night and on weekends. The school’s other campuses include:
- Our Lady of the Lake University Houston (Our Lady of the Lake University Woodlands)
- Our Lady of the Lake University Rio Grande Valley (Our Lady of the Lake University La Feria)
Our Lady of the Lake University ValuesOur Lady of the Lake University’s core values include community, integrity, trust, and service. Consistent with its values, the school strives to cultivate the following in its on-campus and communities:
- Respect for diversity
- Transparency and accountability
- Productivity, creativity, and innovation
- Honest, open, and ethical behavior that demonstrates congruence between ideals and behavior
- Conscientious, accountable, and responsible behavior
- Using personal skills and knowledge for the benefit of others and to promote the common good at the University and beyond
Mission, Vision and Values
Our Lady of the Lake University’s primary mission is threefold; To ensure undergraduate and graduate students have quality, innovative learning experiences, to foster personal, professional, and spiritual growth and to prepare students for lifelong success and continued service.
The school strives to create a community-centered environment to help students thrive.
Admissions:Our Lady of the Lake University has different admissions processes for each of its campuses, its online programs, and for veterans and international students. Also, each graduate program may have distinct requirements. Therefore, prospective students should consult with an admissions advisor at the school and in their program to ensure they fulfill the appropriate requirements. That said, there are some admissions requirements consistent across campuses and programs. For any program, applicants must submit:
- Evidence of having earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school
- Evidence of English proficiency (by submitting a qualifying TOEFL score, for example)
- Evidence of having a certain GPA (at least 2.5 for first-time graduate students)
- An application for admission to Our Lady of the Lake University
- A nonrefundable application fee of $40 (if mailed) and $35 (if paid online)
- Official transcripts
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Dual credit, Credit for life experiences, Credit For Military, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Master's Colleges and Universities (larger programs)
- Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic
- There are 412 full-time faculty
- 213 Part-time instructional faculty
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Weekend Evening College Services
- Remedial Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Placement Services Completers
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 13% part-time and 87% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 Our Lady of the Lake University awarded: 332 bachelor's degrees, 549 master's degrees, 9 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 41 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
- Our Lady of the Lake University: Online
Our Lady of the Lake University Program Highlights: Online MSW ProgramOne of the most popular Our Lady of the Lake University majors is the online Master of Social Work program. Offered through the Worden School of Social Service, the online MSW teaches students how to service children and families in need. Through the program’s curriculum, students build a foundation for their own careers in social service leadership and advanced direct practice. The program is appropriate for students new to the field or already working within it. In the Our Lady of the Lake University online MSW program, students choose between two sub-programs: the Advanced Standing Program (for students who already have a bachelor’s degree in social work) and the Foundation Program (for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a subject other than social work). In the Advanced Standing Program, students take courses in subjects like:
- Social work practice with Hispanic families
- Social work with Hispanic youth and elders
- Advanced integrative social work (through multi-level seminars)