Abilene Christian University
School of Social Work
Master of Science in Social Work - Advanced Standing (MSSW)
ACU Box 29140
Abilene, TX 79699
Master of Science in Social Work
ACU’s Master of Science in Social Work offers an innovative curriculum aimed at preparing leading social work practitioners in the field. As a student, you’ll incorporate evidence-based practice to identify and make use of what works from the most promising interventions, and forward-thinking programs and policies to empower and instill hope in your clients. You’ll also experience a curriculum that challenges you academically and encourages you to incorporate your faith into your work in the program.
Remote-learning students will interact with students and faculty in Abilene through real-time video conferencing and are required to attend a one-week residency course in June.
The Master of Science in Social Work program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and offers an innovative curriculum aimed at preparing cutting-edge social work practitioners. It is designed to produce versatile social work leaders who can incorporate their faith and employ technology to identify and use the most promising interventions and the most forward-thinking programs and policies to empower and instill hope in their clients, and to promote positive social change.
There are two programs of study leading toward the M.S.S.W.: Standard and Advanced Standing. The Standard Program requires two years of full-time study (64 hours).
The first year introduces important ideas and concepts at the heart of what it means to be a social worker and to engage in evidence-based practice.
The second year concentrates on the evidence-based process with systems of various sizes. The Advanced Standing Program is for students who have completed a B.S.W. from a program accredited by the Council of Social Work Education. Following a 6-hour summer seminar, Advanced Standing students move directly into the 32-hour second year of study.
Both programs combine classroom study with supervised internships in social service agencies and include either a thesis or a research project suitable for dissemination.
Why a Master of Science in Social Work?
• M.S.S.W. graduates become competent practitioners who take on leadership roles within the nonprofit and social service fields.
• The M.S.S.W. program prepares students for the state licensure exam.
• The M.S.S.W. has more credibility in professional settings than any other human service licensure.
• The M.S.S.W. degree is honored nationwide, however, each state may have its own licensing criteria.
Why the M.S.S.W. at ACU?
• ACU’s M.S.S.W. program emphasizes social and economic justice for the poor and vulnerable and celebrates diversity through the integration of faith and social work.
• ACU was one of the first graduate social work programs in the nation to offer a concentration in evidence-based practice.
• The Advanced Standing Program enables graduates with bachelor’s degrees from programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education to complete their master’s degrees in one year.
• The flexible degree program allows students to take courses one or two days a week, depending on the program, enabling them to dedicate focused time to their field practicum.
Affordability/Financial Aid The M.S.S.W. program at ACU offers scholarships, graduate assistantships and paid internships to assist its students.
• Academic scholarships
• Paid graduate assistantships
• Paid internships
• Hogg Foundation Bilingual Fellowships (Covers full tuition and fees. For Spanish speakers with an interest in working with Hispanic clients in the field of mental health.)
Accreditation:The M.S. in Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: Standard Program - 64. Advance Standing - 38
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $1105 per credit hour
In State Tuition (per year): Standard Program - $35,360. Advanced Standing - $41,990 USD
Out State Tuition (per year): Standard Program - $35,360. Advanced Standing - $41,990 USD
Classification: Master's College or University I
Loans Offered: Loans may be available. Applicants may apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA).
Locale: Midsize City