Slippery Rock University

Slippery Rock University

Park and Resource Management


Welcome Center-124 N. Hall

Welcome Center, 124 North Hall

Slippery Rock, PA 16057

United States



Program Information

Degrees Offered:

Park and Resource Management

Format: Campus

Program Description:

The Master of Science degree with options in sustainable park planning, environmental education, and park and resource management is a 30-hour program offered under both thesis and non-thesis options. It is available through both the traditional (on-campus) as well web-based distance learning approaches. The program is oriented to meet the needs of park and resource or environmental education professionals serving as environmental educators, park rangers, park interpreters, resource management specialists, outdoor recreation planners, and similar professional positions. The program is designed to provide graduates with a sound base in ecological understanding, planning and management theory. Courses study practical solutions to environment education, natural and cultural resource and visitor management challenges, as well as those issues generated from the social, economic and political scene. Students are also given opportunity to hone their organization management, communication and computer skills. The program utilizes the services of nationally known professionals to supplement its graduate faculty in the teaching of courses, supervision of internships and these advisement. This arrangement enables the program to keep its course offerings current and relevant to professional needs. The web-based distance learning approach is designed to serve those who cannot attend graduate courses on the SRU campus due to career commitments and geographic limitations. The program is designed to serve those resource management professionals currently pursuing careers in recreation and land management. The entire program may be completed via the World Wide Web (Internet) and includes 30 total semester-credit hours. Specifics on the web-based approach may be obtained by calling or writing the program coordinator.


The National Recreation and Park Association; The NRPA Council on Accreditation has approved 100 academic programs in colleges and universities that prepare new professionals to enter the broad field of parks, recreation and leisure services.

International Student Requirements:

In addition to the normal application requirements, international applicants must supply verification of sufficient finances for the first academic year in the form of an original bank statement. Original certified copies of all post-secondary transcripts must also be submitted. Proof of proficiency in the English language must be submitted in the form of official scores from the TOEFL examination. All documents must be translated into English.

Facts & Figures

Financial Aid: Yes

International Financial Aid: Yes

In State Tuition (per year): 0 USD

Classification: Master's College or University I

Locale: Fringe Rural Area

Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999

Find Schools