Saint Joseph's University
About Saint Joseph's University
Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Saint Joseph’s University Online is a four-year, private not-for-profit school. It offers master’s degree programs entirely online and additional master’s degree programs and a doctorate program on campus or through hybrid formats.
Altogether, the school offers 52 graduate programs and opportunities to study abroad and engage in service-learning and faith-justice studies.i
In fall 2016, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, served 8,415 total students in physical and virtual classrooms with a student to teacher ratio of 12 to 1.
Two-thirds of St. Joseph’s University’s 3,038 graduate students were in arts and sciences programs and one-third were in business programs.i
What Makes Saint Joseph’s University Unique
Saint Joseph’s University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus. Today, it is a Jesuit Catholic university that strives to be globally engaged with a focus on the common good.
Alongside their academic subjects, many of Saint Joseph’s University’s classes emphasize critical thinking, ethical decision-making, the pursuit of social justice, and finding God in all things. Although Catholic, the school embraces the gist of Cura personalis—care for the whole person. People of all faiths and personalities are welcome at the school.ii
Service to the academic and broader community is central to Saint Joseph’s University’s identity, and to help it meet its mission, the school has an Office for Mission and Identity. The Office for Mission and Identity helps students and educators meet the teaching, research, and service goals that are central to the school and its mission. At the office, students gain a variety of support in bringing faith-based ideals to the pursuit of personal, professional, and academic excellence.iii
St. Joseph’s University Admission
At the graduate level, the application and admission process varies by program. However, there are certain requirements applicants must meet across the board.
Graduate Arts and Sciences College
For application to the Graduate Arts and Sciences college, prospective students must submit:viii
- A completed graduate application
- Sealed official transcripts
- A personal statement
- Grade Point Averages at schools previously attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- A resume
- Any additional documents required by a particular program
- A $35 application fee
Graduate Business College
For application to the Graduate Business college, prospective students must submit the same documents as Arts and Sciences applicants plus GRE or GMAT scores. Depending on their program, they might need to submit additional items, especially if they are applying for an Executive Program.ix
As of early 2019, there was no application deadline at Saint Joseph’s University; applications were accepted on a rolling basis. (Note that the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership, the M.S. in Computer Science, and the M.S. in Psychology had special deadlines. Check your specific program to discover its application deadlines.)
In 2016, the St. Joseph’s University acceptance rate for undergraduate applicants was 78 percent, which U.S. News ranks as “selective.” That same year, the early acceptance rate at the school was 89.1 percent. ix The acceptance rate at the graduate level varies by program.
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Credit for life experiences, Credit For Military, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Master's Colleges and Universities (larger programs)
- Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic
- There are 906 full-time faculty
- 402 Part-time instructional faculty
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Weekend Evening College Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Placement Services Completers
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 84% part-time and 16% full-time
For the years 2018-2019 Saint Joseph's University awarded: 1 associates, 1259 bachelor's degrees, 1157 master's degrees, 25 post-master's certificates, 14 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
St. Joseph’s University Tuition
St. Joseph University tuition depends on the type of degree. In the Graduate Business college, 2017-2018 tuition cost anywhere from $1,023 per credit for a Master of Science degree to $2,310 per credit for a one-year Executive M.B.A. program.vi
In the Graduate Arts and Science college, 2017-2018 tuition cost anywhere from $765 per credit for a degree in education to $953 per credit for a computer science or psychology degree. That same year, the Interdisciplinary Doctorate of Education Program for Educational Leaders cost students $1,021 per credit.vii
Students in both colleges of the school paid additional money to cover fees, books, and materials.
St. Joseph’s University Financial Aid
Eligible students at Saint Joseph’s University can apply for federal student grants and loans. Students can also pay tuition and other fees using other sources of private and public scholarships, grants, and loans. The school also accepts Veterans benefits and offers work study opportunities to eligible students.
St. Joseph’s University Accreditation
Saint Joseph’s University has institutional accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.x
- Saint Joseph's University: Philadelphia, PA5600 City Avenue -, Philadelphia, PA, 19131
- Saint Joseph's University: Online
St. Joseph’s University Online
Saint Joseph’s University offers on-campus, online, and hybrid master’s degree programs to students.
In fall 2016, sixty-three percent of graduate students were enrolled entirely in Saint Joseph’s University online programs.
Eleven percent of graduate students were enrolled in at least some online education, and just 26 percent of graduate students attended courses entirely on campus.
Masters Degree Online
Saint Joseph’s Arts and Sciences college offers six master’s degrees entirely online:iv
- An M.S. in Criminal Justice
- An M.S. in Educational Leadership
- An M.S. in Instructional Technology Leadership
- An M.S. in Organization Development and Leadership
- An M.S. in Special Education (PK-8) or (7-12)
- An M.S. in Special Education (PK-12) (with a certificate in Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing)
Post-Graduate Offerings Online
It also offers an array of post-graduate certificates and programs entirely online:v
- A Behavior Analysis: Criminal Justice Post-Master’s certificate
- An English as a Second Language Endorsement (K-12)
- An Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- An Online Accelerated Teacher Certification Program
- A Special Education Certification (PK-8) and (7-12)
- A Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PreK-12 Certification
- Wilson’s Reading System Online Program
Business Masters Online
Saint Joseph’s Graduate Business college offers 6 master’s degrees entirely online:xi
- An M.S. in Business Intelligence and Analytics
- An M.S. in Financial Services
- An M.S. or Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Food Marketing
- A M.B.A.)
- An M.S. in Marketing
- An M.S. in Strategic Human Resource Management
Executive Masters Programs
The school also offers two Executive-Master’s Degree Programs: an Executive M.B.A. and an M.B.A. for Executives in Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing.xi