Public Health Management and Administration, Public Health Management and Administration
The customized Master of Science in Public Health Management and Administration program at PCOM is designed to enhance leadership skills that are critically important in the evolving landscape of public health.
If you're a professional looking to enter the field of public health management, this program is designed for you.
Students are engaged in learning that focuses on leadership, administration, and the challenges and opportunities inherent in public health practice today.
Graduates of the program will emerge with a better understanding of how to successfully manage change in the fast-moving arena of public health organizations.
The program's action learning orientation develops leaders who have an understanding of public health management systems and ideology; embrace collaboration to achieve desired results; have the ability to lead organizational change; and engage in reflective practice to continually develop and enhance their performance as practitioner-scholars.
The PHMA program teaches learners to take a "whole-systems" approach to public health management and administration, including applied principles of innovation and styles of inquiry, data collection and use, and evidence-based practice to inform decision-making. Intentionally designed as a cohort-based learning experience for the working professional, the program prepares learners to better understand organizations as dynamic systems.
Program competencies include:
- Public health, advocacy and public policy
- Business acumen and financial management for nonprofits
- Management, administration and change leadership
- Evidence-based practice and decision-making
- Reflective practice and self-awareness
- Relational health and group process skills
- Systems thinking
- Communication; cultural competence; coaching and mentoring; and personal character and ethics
Degree and certificate formats:
- Master of Science in Public Health Management and Administration: 12 courses, 36 credits
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in Public Health management and Administration: 6 courses, 18 credits (post-baccalaureate)
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Public Health Management and Administration
This program is a collaboration between PCOM and the nonprofit Public Health Management Corporation. Taught by renowned faculty, including those from PCOM and PHMC, classes are conveniently offered on weekends at PHMC's office facilities located in the heart of Center City, Philadelphia.
Who is the ideal participant?
Aspiring leaders who want to:
- Learn more about managing and leading public health organizations
- Enhance communication and interpersonal skills
- Learn to lead change from anywhere in the organization
- Be more effective at leveraging relationships, creating transactions, and building partnerships
- Utilize collaboration as a key strategy to achieve optimal results
- Learn more about program development and necessary alignment with the funding environment