Food Studies & Business Administration (MAFS/MBA)
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Chatham University pioneered one of the first Master of Arts in Food Studies degrees in the country, and now we're combining it with our Master of Business Administration offering – truly a unique combination. Core courses provide breadth and depth in food studies, business, and sustainable business, equipping all students with a holistic understanding of food systems and business skills. All students are expected to maintain full-time enrollment, and graduates will be uniquely prepared to work in various aspects of food systems in the real world.
Students in the program benefit not only from the 388-acre Eden Hall Campus, with its organic gardens, apiaries, orchards, kitchen and root cellar, but also from Pittsburgh's explosive culinary scene (recently ranked as the Top Food City of 2015 by Zagat). An in-depth knowledge of food production, culture, and history combined with unimpeachable mastery of business concepts and strategy prepares students to move into positions as leaders and entrepreneurs in these increasingly popular–and important–areas.
- Students graduate with all of the requirements for both degrees in only 51 credits–a savings of 26 credits compared to taking the programs separately.
- Full-time students can complete the degree in five semesters (including fall, spring, and summer).
- An optional first summer is offered for students who require prerequisites or simply want more time to take classes.
- Each student completes a thesis or project in Food Studies.
- Internships and directed study in community settings are highly encouraged.
The dual degree program leverages the strengths of Chatham's Master of Arts in Food Studies (MAFS) and Master of Business Administration(MBA) programs to create a curriculum that develops business management acumen in aspects of food systems. Graduates of the dual degree program will be capable of driving food and sustainability-related initiatives for companies, government agencies, and nonprofits that return triple-bottom-line success.
Accreditation:Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools
Facts & Figures
Classification: Baccalaureate College—Liberal Arts
Locale: Large Suburb
Size & Settings: 1,000-2,999