The coursework in this program is transferable to our doctoral degree with the exception of the internship course, if the candidate would decide to move toward a PhD in Philosophy of Leadership at Alvernia.
Helping students reach their potential takes more than administrative training — it takes leadership. That's why Alvernia University offers the Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility program. It's a growing field. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts employment of education administrators to grow — so you can be in demand doing what you love.
Innovative Program. Successful Leaders.
Alvernia University has designed this program for educators seeking leadership positions at classroom, school district, and community levels, in curriculum, instruction, and supervision. It is designed to prepare students to be strategic system leaders who can effectively and ethically bring about continuous system improvements that result in increased student achievement.
This program combines a number of unique features not generally found in most superintendent programs. The Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility program aims to develop self-directed and competent district-wide administrators who are capable of decision-making in all phases of their professional responsibilities.
Students will find that the program provides:
- The knowledge and skills to think and plan strategically creating an organizational vision around personalized student success.
- An understanding of standards-based systems theory and design and the ability to transfer that knowledge to the leader’s job as an architect of standards based reform in the school.
- The ability to access and use appropriate data to inform decision-making at all levels of the system.
- The skills necessary to collaborate, communicate, engage, and empower others inside and outside the organization to pursue excellence in learning .
- The ability to create a culture of teaching and learning with an emphasis on learning.
The Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility program provides an opportunity for students to obtain a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania certification that will open doors for several positions, including superintendent, assistant superintendent, supervisor of curriculum and instruction, supervisor of pupil personnel services, and elementary, middle, or secondary principal.
Although not required for admission to the program, certification by the state of Pennsylvania requires a minimum of five years of building administrative experience as a certified principal or assistant principal. The five years of administrative experience must be completed before certification endorsement will be granted by Alvernia University.
The Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility Certification is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Facts & Figures
# of Credits Required:
15 credits (5 classe
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate):
Master's Colleges & Universities: Small Programs
Size & Settings: