College of Science, Engineering & Health
11000 University Pkwy
Pensacola, FL 32514
Geographic Information Science (GIS), M.S.A.
Join the growing field of geographic information science by developing professional skills in geospatial science and business management with UWF’s online M.S. in GIS Administration. Through experienced educators who are dedicated to your success, you’ll explore the latest technologies in geographic information science. Our program provides you with the knowledge you need for a career in areas such as environmental resource management, urban and regional planning, emergency response management, consulting and local government.
Students pursuing our online GIS administration degree benefit from our program’s affordability and convenience. Our online GIS program offers remote desktop technology, allowing you to access state-of-the-art GIS software at any time and from any computer through a pre-configured virtual machine. You’ll have access to the latest versions of Esri ArcGIS Pro, Adobe Illustrator, PostgreSQL/PostGIS, Leaflet and Erdas Imagine.
The online geographic information science administration program covers topics such as:
• Advanced business management skills in human resources, economics, finance and organizational behavior
• Programming tools used to develop software applications for spatial analysis and automation tasks
• GIS theories and practices used to visualize, measure, transform and optimize spatial data
• The fundamental theory of graphic design, cartography and map production and distribution and how to communicate the data through various mediums
• Database design and how to extract and use spatial data for GIS case studies
• Web-based geographic information systems and their methods and processes, along with design considerations for web-based GIS in different browsers
• Developing, implementing and managing GIS applications
Our online GIS degree program also requires the completion of a capstone course, in which you will gain real-world experience as you develop and research a project using spatial data for GIS data analysis.
In addition, our program is affiliated with Professional Science Master’s. Created in partnership with the industry, PSM guarantees that students gain real-world experiences and skills.
GIS Certificate Options
We also offer online undergraduate and graduate certificate programs. A total of 7 courses, including a required internship, have been carefully combined to reflect real-world workforce requirements. With this knowledge, expect to better understand what’s happening behind the scenes in the software and become more efficient at work.
The GIS graduate certificate program is a pathway to the master’s program by fulfilling the foundation requirements plus 6 hours of GIS core courses.
Candidates for This Program Include:
• Students currently employed in the geoscience field looking for advancement
• Those seeking a career in GIS in an industry such as engineering, construction, architecture, natural resources and more
• Students with a bachelor’s degree, basic computer skills and a desire to learn GIS
• Produce and utilize useful and current information from spatial data
• Demonstrate advanced skills in cartography, geospatial scripting, spatial databases and web-based mapping
• Effectively communicate ideas and make management decisions
• Become experienced in spatial statistics, data science, database management, applied research, modeling and geo-visualization
• Work in collaboration with local partners, faculty or your current employer to develop, execute and implement a real-world GIS application
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 36
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Small City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999