University of Texas System
UT Online Consortium (UTOC)
Technology Leadership in Education Certificate (TLE)
Technology Leadership in Education Certificate (TLE)
Those interested in taking a more significant role as a technology leader will find this certificate is ideal. Today, technology plays an increasingly important role at all levels of education, and especially in the K-12 classroom.
This 9-graduate credit Technology Leadership in Education (TLE) certificate, offered by the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV), is geared toward providing skills and knowledge needed to be an effective leader in technology. Principals, superintendents, and technology leaders currently in roles as administrators, as well as teachers who seek to take more of a leadership role in their district will benefit from this certificate.
Technology is playing an ubiquitous role in the lives of students, and schools are increasingly expecting technology integration in the classroom. Campuses and school districts are seeking to apply programs such as 1-to-1 computing with each student having access to iPads or tablets, Bring Your Own Device initiatives, and flipped classroom learning.
As educators move toward the demands of the more technology enhanced classroom, technology leaders are increasingly required to make highs takes decisions about hardware, software and programs at the campus and district level. Yet, many administrators have not been exposed to pedagogy of technology enhanced student-centered classrooms and do not feel prepared to model and lead in the technology integrated environment. This Technology Leadership in Education Certificate will serve to fill the gap that has occurred from the high-demand for more effective technology integrated learning.
The TLE certificate will prepare candidates to:
- Provide instructional leadership in technology integrated curriculum
- Develop student-centered, technology-enriched instruction
- Use new and innovative technologies
- Understand technology funding issues and obtain needed funding
- Evaluate technology integration and mentor teachers to more effectively use technology
Apply to the UTRGV Graduate College:
- Submit a UTRGV Graduate Application at www.ApplyTexas.org. The university application fee of $50 ($100 for International Applicants) can be paid online by credit card or electronic check (in the online application). All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Register on the UTRGV Recommenders and Document Upload Webpage. This is where you will request recommenders and upload program requirement documents, and where the graduate office will upload your transcripts. If you do not complete this step, we will not be able to process your application.
- Request your transcripts and other supporting documentation to be mailed to:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
The Graduate College
Marialice Shary Shivers Bldg. 1.158
1201 W. University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
Review and submit all Program Requirements:
- Online application at www.ApplyTexas.org. The university application fee of $50 can be paid online by credit card or electronic check (in the online application). All application fees are non-refundable.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. If applicant does not meet minimum undergraduate GPA criterion, GRE general test with minimum scores of 150 Verbal, 141 Quantitative, and 4.0 Analytical are required for conditional admission. GRE test scores are valid for five years.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
Students whose native language is not English or who studied at a University outside the U.S.:
- TOEFL or IELTS Language Proficiency Test with minimum scores: 550 on paper-based, 213 on computer based, or 79 on Internet-based for the TOEFL; 6.5 for the IELTS. TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years.
- English translation of educational records.
- Transcript Evaluation by the Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA).
- Fall - Jul 1
- Spring - Nov 15
Note: Students admitted only to a Certificate Program are not eligible to obtain a Student Visa from UTRGV.
Students will receive a graduate certificate upon successfully completing this specialization. The Technology Leadership in Education certificate is 100% online and can be integrated into your Master of Education in Educational Technology degree.
All courses are offered by UT Rio Grande Valley.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- EDTC 6340 Integration of Advanced Technologies in Education and Training
- EDTC 6341 Student-Centered Learning Using Technology
- EDTC 6342 Technology Leadership
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTION AND ADVISOR
UT Rio Grande Valley
Dr. Rene Corbeil
Program Director, Associate Professor
Certificate Awarded: Technology Leadership in Education Certificate
Accreditation:SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools)
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 9
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $353 in-state; $743 out-of-state USD
Classification: Higher Education Institution (Not Carnegie Classified)
Locale: Large City