Teachers interested in focusing in the important area of reading may pursue the Reading Specialist Certificate, an all-level (K-12) certificate. This unique program focuses on the needs of the multicultural and multilinguistic classrooms of today by integrating the requirements for the ESL Endorsement and the Master Reading Teacher Certificate into the total Reading Program with no supplementary coursework required. To qualify for the Reading Specialist Certificate, students complete a master's degree, must hold a valid Texas teacher certificate, document two years of acceptable classroom teaching experience, and pass the Reading Specialist TExES. (Note: Those who already hold a master's degree who are seeking only the Reading Specialist Certificate do not have to complete certain coursework. See program track information for specific details.)
Out-of-state students should contact their State Board of Education to determine the applicability of this certificate to their state requirements.
Courses may be taken in any sequence except for noted prerequisites and capstone courses. Each course is three credits.
All courses are offered by UT Arlington.
- *LIST 5316 Literacy Practicum I (80-hours of field experience) Must be taken in the first fall or spring semester of enrollment
- *LIST 5317 Literacy Practicum II (80-hours of field experience) This capstone course and must be taken in the last fall or spring semester of enrollment
- LIST 5325 Understanding Literacy Research (precedes LIST 5385)
- LIST 5326 Pre-Adolescent and Adolescent Literacy
- LIST 5345 Content Area Reading and Writing
- LIST 5346 Teaching the Writing Process or LIST 5384 Advanced Pedagogy of Writing (with advisor approval)
- LIST 5350 Literacy Assessment
- LIST 5353 Literature for Children and Young Adults or LIST 5354 Multicultural Literature for Children
- LIST 5361 Language Learning: Educational Perspectives
27 total credits
*Practicum does not denote a full time experience. The Literacy Practicum involves 80-hours of field work which can be completed in your own classroom if you are a full time/part time teacher of record. If you are not currently teaching, you can find a participating school for field work, and we will provide documentation to the school/district that verifies your enrollment in our program and the requirements for field experience.
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTION AND ADVISOR
Kathleen Tice, PhD
Certificate Awarded: Reading Specialist Certification