University of Texas System
UT Online Consortium (UTOC)
Master of Business Administration Online (MBAO)
Master of Business Administration in General Management
The Master of Business Administration Online (MBAO) program provides today's students with the tools necessary to become leaders in the workplace of tomorrow. The MBAO program pools the impressive resources and diverse perspectives of two accredited University of Texas System institutions, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) and University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB). Students will find a highly skilled, statewide team of professors presenting an interactive curriculum. Two institutions confer the degree upon successful completion of studies.
All of the participating UT System universities are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.)
Forty-eight credits are required to complete the degree plan. Based on course load, students may complete the program in as little as two years or as many as six.
General Management Degree
The MBAO program in General Management includes areas of study in accounting, finance, administration, business law, economics, marketing, statistics and technology. Courses are designed for a clear understanding of a marketplace that has become increasingly complex with the addition of new technologies and communication tools.
General Management Degree with Finance Emphasis
The MBAO program in General Management with Finance Emphasis combines high-quality core curriculum with specialized finance courses to ensure relevancy in today’s business world. A focus on finance helps students learn how to optimize and add value to an organization's financial management.
Students can benefit by acquiring a better understanding of the fundamentals of exchange rates, including currency risk management, that will improve their ability to make sound financial decisions in their role as managers. In particular, students seeking a career as a financial analyst, corporate finance manager, investor relations manager, financial consultant, or portfolio manager would have a competitive advantage by earning this concentration.
GetEducated.com ranks the MBA Online program as a Best Buy in the category of Most Affordable AACSB Accredited Online MBAs.
Below is a list of the courses offered in the MBAO program. The program course code is listed first with the campus course code in parentheses, followed by the course title and the host campus in parentheses.
48 credits are required to complete the degree plan.
Core Courses (18 credits)
- MBAO 6311 (ACCT 6301) Accounting for Managers (UTRGV)
- MBAO 6312 (ECON 6301) Principles of Economics (UTRGV)
- MBAO 6313 (MGMT 6330) Organizational Behavior (UTRGV)
- MBAO 6314 (QUMT 6303) Statistical Foundations (UTRGV)
- MBAO 6315 (MRKT 6310) Marketing Management (UTPB)
- MBAO 6316 (FINA 6320) Financial Management (UTPB)
Other Courses (21 credits)
- +MBAO 6331 (MARK 6340) Market Research Methods (UTRGV) (prerequisite MBAO 6314)
- MBAO 6332 (INFS 6330) Information Systems for Managers (UTRGV)
- MBAO 6333 (BLAW 6301) Legal Environment of Business (UTRGV)
- +MBAO 6334 (MGMT 6360) Production and Operations Management (UTRGV) (prerequisite MBAO 6314)
- +MBAO 6336 (ACCT 6302) Contemporary Control Systems (UTPB) (prerequisite MBAO 6311)
- *MBAO 6371 (MGMT 6331) Human Resource Management (UTRGV)
- **MBAO 6395 (MNGT 6366) Strategic Management (UTPB)
Major Courses (9 credits)
- General Management Courses
- +MBAO 6335 (FINA 6328) Contemporary Issues in Financial Management (UTPB) (prerequisite MBAO 6316)
- *MBAO 6372 (MGMT 6372) Organizational Leadership and Change (UTRGV)
- *MBAO 6373 (MGMT 6334) International Management (UTRGV)
- General Management Finance Courses
- +MBAO 6374 (FINA 6325) Options and Futures (UTPB) (prerequisite MBAO 6316)
- +*MBAO 6375 (FINA 6327) Portfolio Theory and Management (UTPB) (prerequisite MBAO 6316)
- +*MBAO 6376 (FINA 6330) International Finance (UTPB) (prerequisite
- MBAO 6316)
- FINA 6322 Management of Financial Institutions (UTPB) (non-program course, may count as transfer credit at UTRGV)
+Specific course prerequisites required.
*Students must earn 18 credits in the MBAO program before taking these courses.
**Students must complete MBAO 6311, MBAO 6312, MBAO 6313, MBAO 6315, MBAO 6316, and MBAO 6334 before taking this course. Recommended to be taken in the last 12 credit hours of the program.
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTIONS AND ADVISORS
UT Permian Basin
Dr. Anshu Saran
Associate Professor, College of Business and Engineering
Degrees Awarded: Master of Business Administration in General Management; Master of Business Administration in General Management with a Concentration in Finance
UT Rio Grande Valley
Dr. Edith Galy
Associate Professor/MBA Advisor, School of Business
Degree Awarded: Master of Business Administration
Accreditation:All of the participating UT System universities are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.)
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 48
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $242-$353 in-state; $318-$743 out-of-state
Classification: Higher Education Institution (Not Carnegie Classified)
Locale: Large City