The E-Learning Certificate is a fully web-based, graduate-level, non-degree program in the area of distance education with an emphasis on e-learning. The 12-credit certificate program targets e-learning practitioners seeking a graduate certificate and those who show interest in teaching and learning online initiatives in higher education or in e-learning industries. The program can be taken as part of the Master of Education in Educational Technology degree plan, or separately as a graduate certificate issued by the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV).
The goal of the E-Learning Certificate program is to prepare student candidates to serve as effective online educators by advancing knowledge and skills in electronic learning, both conceptual and practical. With the advanced studies in the graduate program, these candidates are also able to meet changing job requirements in response to current trends in e-learning.
Please note that the 12-credit-hour program is not the same as any state teaching license.
Apply to the UTRGV Graduate College:
- Submit a UTRGV Graduate Application at www.ApplyTexas.org. The university application fee of $50 ($100 for International Applicants) can be paid online by credit card or electronic check (in the online application). All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Register on the UTRGV Recommenders and Document Upload Webpage. This is where you will request recommenders and upload program requirement documents, and where the graduate office will upload your transcripts. If you do not complete this step, we will not be able to process your application.
- Request your transcripts and other supporting documentation to be mailed to:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
The Graduate College
Marialice Shary Shivers Bldg. 1.158
1201 W. University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
Review and submit all Program Requirements:
- Online application at www.ApplyTexas.org. The university application fee of $50 can be paid online by credit card or electronic check (in the online application). All application fees are non-refundable.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. If applicant does not meet minimum undergraduate GPA criterion, GRE general test with minimum scores of 150 Verbal, 141 Quantitative, and 4.0 Analytical are required for conditional admission. GRE test scores are valid for five years.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
Students whose native language is not English or who studied at a University outside the U.S.:
- TOEFL or IELTS Language Proficiency Test with minimum scores: 550 on paper-based, 213 on computer based, or 79 on Internet-based for the TOEFL; 6.5 for the IELTS. TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years.
- English translation of educational records.
- Transcript Evaluation by the Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA).
- Fall - Jul 1
- Spring - Nov 15
Note: Students admitted only to a Certificate Program are not eligible to obtain a Student Visa from UTRGV.
In the E-Learning Certificate program you will have an opportunity to collaborate and learn with others online in virtual classrooms using both synchronous and asynchronous tools.
All courses are offered by UT Rio Grande Valley.
Required Courses (12 credits)
- EDTC 6321 Instructional Design
- EDTC 6323 Multimedia/Hypermedia
- EDTC 6358 Theory and Practice of E-Learning (Prerequisite: Must be within six hours of completion of program; approval of program coordinator required)
Elective (3 credits)
(Pick one; approval of program coordinator required)
- EDTC 6325 Educational Communications
- EDTC 6351 Web-Based Multimedia in Instruction
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTION AND ADVISOR
UT Rio Grande Valley
Dr. Cheng-Chang "Sam" Pan
Program Director, Assistant Professor
Certificate Awarded: E-Learning Certificate
UT Rio Grande Valley is accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools)